• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ta, yeah the last one was black as well and I couldn't go back to the plain metal after that. Admittedly the non-coated version does the exact same jobs, and probably costs 10-20 quid less, but the Gerber SF line was the first range of tools I'd seen in the coating when I got my first one and I just had to have it.

Probably not that shiny. ;)

Being cold war era Russian it's a bit, shall we say, rough and ready. So I just want the finish brought up to the standard you'd get from a western blade. And hopefully it'll make the draw a bit smoother from the sheath.

And apparently they get issued blunt, and the soldier has to sharpen it himself. Which means the guy who had this before me was either lazy, or died during basic. :P

You don't want a bayonet too sharp, tends to stick in to the rib bones and becomes harder to withdraw, leaving your rifle stuck in the bad guy (apparently). End of the day, all you really need to stab someone is a relatively rigid tip to a thin metal/plastic/wooden object, the edge isn't so important. Which is precisely why I see any sort of plastic/rubber knife that's even mildly rigid as a massive safety hazard in airsoft games.

When we visited the national firearms centre (leeds royal armouries) with work last year, they had a whole case of stabbing/cutting weapons confiscated from prisoners/at airport security checks etc, one was nothing more than a round women's hair brush, you took the actual bristle cylinder off and saw that someone had brought the plastic handle to a point (convict in that instance we were told). Even cheap a material like that would do a number on another human no problem at all.

Apologies for any egg-suck teaching, and not to tell anyone else what they should or should not to with their personal collection that's entirely up to them, just something I wanted to bring up.

When we visited the national firearms centre (leeds royal armouries) with work last year, they had a whole case of stabbing/cutting weapons confiscated from prisoners/at airport security checks etc, one was nothing more than a round women's hair brush, you took the actual bristle cylinder off and saw that someone had brought the plastic handle to a point (convict in that instance we were told). Even cheap a material like that would do a number on another human no problem at all.

I know a chap who got stabbed in the neck with a biro, and still has the scars to prove it. fortuneately it missed anything important.

I'm fairly sure cold steel put something like that hairbrush into production at one point.

Good real life example to highlight the point. Back when I was in my last years of GCSEs we got to choose certain elements of our PE lessons and students were split up accordingly. I picked the self defence classes every other week of course, was bit of a mix of wing-chun kung fu and general practical advice, like throwing a pocket full of loose change etc. One other tip we got was using a biro to negate the advantage of an assailant who possessed a significant advantage. As far as I know you're quite safe on the legal side of things if such an object is employed in a defence situation, and as you say, it certainly works (perhaps a bit too well might be the problem).

You got self defence classes at school?

Awesome.

Good real life example to highlight the point. Back when I was in my last years of GCSEs we got to choose certain elements of our PE lessons and students were split up accordingly. I picked the self defence classes every other week of course, was bit of a mix of wing-chun kung fu and general practical advice, like throwing a pocket full of loose change etc. One other tip we got was using a biro to negate the advantage of an assailant who possessed a significant advantage. As far as I know you're quite safe on the legal side of things if such an object is employed in a defence situation, and as you say, it certainly works (perhaps a bit too well might be the problem).

wish I'd had the choice to take self defence classes in school. I had to come up with the pen trick off the top of my head, while being strangled.

I'd say I'm good at sharpening a knife, and can get mine literally razor sharp.

However, I too have a cutthroat razor, and the first time I opened it, it bit me. Thats a rarity in itself, as im very careful with blades It's scary sharp, and I haven't had the balls to put it anywhere near my face yet.

Yeah, I know bayonets don't need to have a sharp edge.

But since I'll be using it on site for build days and camping trips and general knifey stuff instead of vicious close quarters warfare I reckon sharp would suit my purposes better. :)

Edit: always wanted to try a cut throat razor, but I don't actually shave much these days. :P

Edited by scorch

Nothing more dangerous than a blunt knife.

Various STDs?

But true a blunt knife can be made to do as much damage as a sharpened one in the right / wrong hands. Especially with a nice, keen point to it.

As for cutthroat razors the local barber uses one but as he has a cartoon sign up that shows a fat barber with a razor with blood dripping from it i am not sure i want to go in, especially as i know that place has a spacious basement beneath.

'FireKnife'

Various STDs?

But true a blunt knife can be made to do as much damage as a sharpened one in the right / wrong hands. Especially with a nice, keen point to it.

As for cutthroat razors the local barber uses one but as he has a cartoon sign up that shows a fat barber with a razor with blood dripping from it i am not sure i want to go in, especially as i know that place has a spacious basement beneath.

'FireKnife'

well at least he's honest aboot it :P