How about setting up a "members only" sub forum of the off-topic section restricted to members with 500 posts or more AND at least +10 rep points?

It'd give the old scrotes somewhere to go and bleat about noobs and it'd give the noobs something to aspire to because there would be all sorts of wild rumours about what went on in there once you got "made". :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea! It would make things much better, I just dont have 500 posts :(. A con is that it might bring good members away from posting in the general section which will lower the intelligince and people would then start leaving arnies resulting in a downfall of the forum population.

Edited by Xxl3o0mxX

By the time a forum-goer has 500 posts he'll be "in tune" with the way things work around here.

People who have a decent rep and a high post count could be relied on to post in the main forums for the most part and just use any private forum as a "retreat" from the mainstream stuff and just shoot the breeze.

If it doesn't work out like that, if people start trying to sell stuff in there for example, Arnie (or the mods) can always shut it down again or kick people out.

Very nice idea Sid B).

I agree with SV with regards to how one gets into this proposed forum. The problem with that method though is that it might lead to the potential problem of moderators being badgered by members who want in on this exclusive forum.

And another thing, by putting it in as a subforum in the off-topic section wouldn't talk within the roswell forum be restricted to purely off-topic chatter? If this is the case, the need for such a forum becomes questionable...

Maybe it would be a good idea to have it set up so that the forums can be read be anyone but only senior members may post, as this would allow new users to find information that they are looking for which only may have been discussed in the senior members forum.

Thinking I am, most interesting this discussion is... or something.

Well the idea has been raised, and the possible downfalls and pitfalls have been eluded to by other folks before I could post, so best to leave the discussion here for you guys to decide how you'd like things.

Posting ability by rep isn't easy to sort, but by post count is dead easy.

Maybe it would be a good idea to have it set up so that the forums can be read be anyone but only senior members may post, as this would allow new users to find information that they are looking for which only may have been discussed in the senior members forum.

I like this idea the best so far. Just allowing senior members to post will stop potential newb questions which can be asked in relevant forums. But still allows them to read any useful info they require.

Sounds like a great idea. I suggest we also make it mandatory that we have to be as elitist as possible, insist on the use of the word 'magazine' over 'clip', and appoint one individual to actively join up and antagonise other UK airsofting channels, on the grounds that they need us to show them why they're so inferior...

This list could go on all day. :rolleyes:

The main thing is that it must be decorated in dark oak panelling and have lots of creaky leather wing chairs and a big fireplace.

We'll all sit around wearing smoking jackets and cravats and sip cognac and smoke cigars while we decide how we're going to manipulate the European airsoft industry.

On the other hand, it probably wouldn't see a lot of traffic at all. It'd just be a 2nd off-topic forum so regulars could shoot the sh*t. I'd set it up so people who don't qualify can't access it simply because, let's face it, bleating about retarded noobs is going to be happening in there.

Regarding who gets in, I definately think rep should be factored in as well as post count. Maybe the best way to do this would be for mod's to only allow people in by invitation?

Set up a sticky "Old scrotes forum entry request" thread in the off-topic forum and the mod's just go through the posts in that thread and grant access based on post count and rep.

Whilst it sounds like a good idea, I am usually against stuff like this on forums as it tends to breed elitism and contempt.

;)

I have to agree I'm afraid guys...... :mellow:

A post count of 1 and no rep points does not indicate a newbie in our sport ( always! ) - simply may mean they just joined Arnies.

Our sport / interest is always under attack and in a minority. We should welcome new members with open arms and not try to seperate long standing members from the newer ones. We should always stick together and try to help each other.

Sorry, just my 2p....... ;)

Ah, but that's where the invitation only bit comes in. If someone pitches up who clearly knows there stuff and is a good egg, they can be let in. If they're still enquiring as to the best gun, or if they can shoot the cat with their bb gun, they are left outside the home of the elite. Simple. :)

:zorro: