Intentional headshots? Good or bad?

GuzziHero

Is it acceptable to headshot in airsoft?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Am I out of whack with this one?

• Yes, it adds to the skill
    • Yes, more people take their hits
    • No, its unnecessary and dangerous
    • No, its unsporting

This entire argument seems to me to center around an unspoken desire for those who forsake full-face masks to reduce the risk of their own choices.

When I was about 15 I had a tooth shot *out* with a £5 mini-electric AEG (one of those horrible squashed-up-M16 things) entirely by accident, it caused tremendous pain, and I couldn't get it fixed until I was 20.

As a result of this bad experience I wear a full-face mask.

That's the solution to this issue, if you don't want to get shot in the face then wear a mask, it's that simple!

As far as targeting goes, I agree with Basho, if I have the luxury of time then I take shots for 'nice' areas (like the torso or whatever) but if I don't then I shoot for whichever part of the opponents body comes into my sight picture first, if it's the head then I shoot it.

I also think that full-face protection should be mandatory, cuz most of us like our teeth, but because it isn't people are able to make the choice to wear less protection, when they do so THEY LOSE THE RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES.

Honestly people, wearing just glasses doesn't make you look "hard" or "tough", but it might make you look like an extra from The Jeremy Kyle Show as you smile to display your gobfull of broken gnashers.

And finally, to the people who are complaining that "it hurts when I get shot in the head", find another hobby then, when you turn up to a skirmish you are consenting to be shot, and accepting that sometimes you might get shot somewhere painful, such is life, quit whining.

I've had shots to the fingers/bum/elbow that hurt more than the face shots I received the *one* time I skirmished with just glasses, so what, I can deal with a little bit of pain, I accept it as part of airsoft, why can't you?

Edit: and if you don't want to wear full face cuz it "doesn't fit my loadout" then I suggest you consider your priorities, do you like your loadout more than your teeth? cuz if you do then that's your concern, and not mine, or Bashos, or anyone else for that matter.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moral of the story is: if you have a horrible looking tooth cap that you really want removing by force and replacing with a better looking one at your own expense, airsoft in CQB with a smile on your face. I did, it worked for me. :D

If you value your teeth, however, wear some mouth protection or preferably full-face!

This entire argument seems to me to center around an unspoken desire for those who forsake full-face masks to reduce the risk of their own choices.

When I was about 15 I had a tooth shot *out* with a £5 mini-electric AEG (one of those horrible squashed-up-M16 things) entirely by accident, it caused tremendous pain, and I couldn't get it fixed until I was 20.

As a result of this bad experience I wear a full-face mask.

That's the solution to this issue, if you don't want to get shot in the face then wear a mask, it's that simple!

As far as targeting goes, I agree with Basho, if I have the luxury of time then I take shots for 'nice' areas (like the torso or whatever) but if I don't then I shoot for whichever part of the opponents body comes into my sight picture first, if it's the head then I shoot it.

I also think that full-face protection should be mandatory, cuz most of us like our teeth, but because it isn't people are able to make the choice to wear less protection, when they do so THEY LOSE THE RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES.

Honestly people, wearing just glasses doesn't make you look "hard" or "tough", but it might make you look like an extra from The Jeremy Kyle Show as you smile to display your gobfull of broken gnashers.

And finally, to the people who are complaining that "it hurts when I get shot in the head", find another hobby then, when you turn up to a skirmish you are consenting to be shot, and accepting that sometimes you might get shot somewhere painful, such is life, quit whining.

I've had shots to the fingers/bum/elbow that hurt more than the face shots I received the *one* time I skirmished with just glasses, so what, I can deal with a little bit of pain, I accept it as part of airsoft, why can't you?

Edit: and if you don't want to wear full face cuz it "doesn't fit my loadout" then I suggest you consider your priorities, do you like your loadout more than your teeth? cuz if you do then that's your concern, and not mine, or Bashos, or anyone else for that matter.

No one in this thread has suggested not wearing full face because it doesn't fit their load out or isn't "cool" other than the people who seem to have been trying to justify deliberate targetting of someone's head.

The reasons for not wearing full face ranges from practicality with prescription glasses to issues of overheating.

No one is complaining about being hit in the head from a stray bb or snap shot etc, especially in CQB where it is likely to happen often.

As you've stated, if someone jumps out at you and your gun happens to be pointing at their head when you react and take a snap shot, no one has an issue with that as I'm sure you'll appologise and make sure they're ok etc, likewise if they're behind a barrel or wall and their head is the only target, they can expect to be hit there and take the risk by poking their head out.

What the majority of us take issue with is someone deliberately targetting heads when other options are available.

Such as when Player A is leaning against a barrel using it as cover, is then outflanked by Player B so they can see all of Player A, but rather than picking their shot and aiming at Player A's body, they deliberately target Player A's head.

That to most of us is unsportsmanlike.

Pretty much everyone who plays accepts that random head hits are a part of airsoft, and deliberate ones are there if you only give your head as a target, but deliberate head shots when they could target other areas? It's just not on.

If I've got the chance to aim at someone and be pretty certain of a hit, I'll go for anywhere padded, like a vest or webbing, and I normally keep my aiming low so they get hit below their shoulders.

If they don't feel it, then I'll move on to other areas like their legs or arms as these tend not to be padded so more likely to be felt.

Marshalls allowing and participating in deliberate head shots when they are not required is a sign of a badly run site in my opinion.

As I've said before, full face doesn't protect your ears, you neck, your temples or the back of your head, all places which can bleed and cause unjury, so any site which states deliberate targetting of head is OK is not a site which I'd trust.

As for how you decide as a marshall if someone reported to you is deliberately targetting heads, you simply watch them and their targets, that's the advantage of having "player mashalls" (or even responsible regulars who are interested in keeping up the reputation of the site) as if you want to catch them it's best if they don't know they're being watched, or to stop them, have them know they're being watched, but be unable to tell who's watching them.

As for the argument "Well the rules say I can do it" so what? It doesn't mean you have to.

If the rules said you can hose someone until they scream would you still do it?

So why are newcomers being told that glasses / goggles are ok???

I was told this by two shops, one of which is one of the larger more established shops.

I now have a full face and use it in bunker / FIBUA sites, I still use safety glasses in woodlands as I do find that masks are very hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. Yes I know, but it's my choice.

HOWEVER, wearing a full face would not have stopped the three ear shots from a walt / X-Box warrior who decided that headshots were de rigour when a targets whole body was visible.

Because for eye protection, glasses (good ones that don't leave gaps) and goggles are ok.

For face/teeth protection, they're not, because of course, they don't cover your mouth and other parts of your face.

Like you say though, I've not seen anyone wearing a full face mask that would protect from shots to the side or back, hence the objection to deliberate targetting of heads when other parts are available.

Balb, I'm afraid you've missed the point entirely. As Xaccers pointed out above, the argument is about people aiming on purpose ONLY for head shots, even if another body part is available for targetting and even if they have the time to take aim at one of those body parts.

There's a rather big difference between that, and being shot in the head by accident or because that's the only target you presented to the shooter.

In any case, having read the posts on this thread I've concluded that the first time I decide to attend a CQB site (haven't been to one yet) or one where engagement distances are small I'll definately invest in a full face mask at the very least before doing so.

In any case, having read the posts on this thread I've concluded that the first time I decide to attend a CQB site (haven't been to one yet) or one where engagement distances are small I'll definately invest in a full face mask at the very least before doing so.

Defenitely worth it.

Hmm, business idea; mesh ear protectors! :)

I just shot my buddy dead center on his forehead, because that's all he gave me to shoot. Granted he wasn't wearing a hat and it hurt like hell, I probably shouldn't have, but it looks really impressive! I think headshots are ok, as long as they're not upclose and not fifty rounds (I hit him on semi).

Actually, it didnt really hurt...just made my head tingle like when you point your finger at your forehead. It did bleed a tad though, as you can see :D

Well ya know what they say...where theres no sense, theres no feeling!

Like you say though, a Sansei mask or a VForce wouldnt have saved me, thats higher than where they reach.

Seriously guys, a lot of you need to take a chill pill and listen to what Basho is actually saying here.

When assaulting- note that he says he goes for headshots when assaulting and has not specified that he does so under other circumstances- when assaulting, you are facing the enemy and the enemy is facing you. Often the only part of their body that is visible is the head, and it will almost always be the most obvious unless they are a complete retard.

Under those circumstances you can bet your freaking boots I aim to hit what's in front of me- namely, the head.

At that stage it's your own bloody lookout. If you've chosen not to wear full face protection of some sort and you're presenting your head as the only target available to somebody assaulting your position, then you have absolutely no right whatsoever to complain about it to anyone except yourself. You don't like the fact that someone was aiming deliberately at your face? Well, I'm afraid the only way to avoid THAT is to give them other parts of your body to target and not shooting at them so that they've got time to notice and re-aim- unless you want to stop head-hits from counting at all, which would I believe be even more of a mess.

Basho has said repeatedly that if he has the time and target to do anything other than reflex-aim, he will chose the least painful point he can find- namely, the helmet- but if he's assaulting a competently held position then it's got to be headshots simply because there will be very little else available to hit.

Captain, we have already ascertained that Basho was in fact saying the same thing that almost EVERYONE else agrees with...you shoot the head if its the only thing presented, but dont run around aiming in people's faces shouting "BOOM! HEADSHOT!". That part of the debate has been settled :P

Captain, we have already ascertained that Basho was in fact saying the same thing that almost EVERYONE else agrees with...you shoot the head if its the only thing presented, but dont run around aiming in people's faces shouting "BOOM! HEADSHOT!". That part of the debate has been settled :P

Is he? Ah in that case apologies Basho, it appeared to me from your posts that you always deliberately aim for people's heads when other parts of their body is available.

I am not and never have turned up to be a walk on part in someones immature wank fantasy simple as that.

accidental and no-option-but head shots arent the issue nobody is complaining about those - its the deliberate targetting of the head in favour of any other part of the target for no other reason than someone gets their jollies off from it

tbh I couldnt give a flying *fruitcage* if that was even in the contex of folks all wearing deep sea divers helmets Cos the driving force behind the 'must play hunt the pumpkin' attitude doesnt usually just end there instead it often typifies folks who really need to get out more.

Sorry in advance; I couldn't be bothered to read up on 7 pages of this thread, I kinda read the first page and then got a bit bored (sorry)

I'll only do a headshot if presented with no other choice and then I'll do a quick tap of the trigger or single shot - depends on the circumstances.

A long time ago I did hit one guy in the head with my sniper rifle (well out of the minimium engage distance), though I aimed for his chest the wind put the round into his forehead and produced a picture not unlike GuzziHero's. Though the guy was ok(ish) about it I felt totally awful. Personally speaking, anyone who plays airsoft to inflict pain on others; please gtfo of my sport/lesiure activity. If you think it's cool to hurt people then you're a t%@t.

As for face protection; yeah goggles are ok they offer better vision at the cost of protecting your face - more importantly your teeth. So if anyone is worried about cracking a tooth then wear a full facemask. Personally I wear goggles and a boonie hat and every game day I seem to collect a round or few in the face :P

Seriously guys, a lot of you need to take a chill pill and listen to what Basho is actually saying here.

Likewise I would advise you to calm down and read the general consensus of most posters here. :)

Just about everyone here appears to be agreeing that headshots are only acceptable when they are the only part of the target visible. The only time anyone responded with any level of passion was the moment a member (Basho) announced rather inexplicably that he always aimed for the head. This is rather understandable, given at the time that this seemed to many (myself included) without any justification to be a rather irresponsible and somewhat sadistic approach to playing.

Now that this has been clarified by Basho as being in the situations where he plays, where all users wear facemasks, this concern os somewhat lessoned. However in no situation where more than the head is visible, regardless of protection worn, do I consider a headshot acceptable as an INTENTIONAL target. Basho has stressed correctly that prevention is better than cure, but to extend this logic to the conscious decision of choosing a target, it surely makes more sense to simply not aim at that portion of the body at all if other portions are also visible.

Anyway, now that people are arguing in circles and no longer bothering to read what has gone before, it seems this thread truly has outlived its usefulness. Thread locked so that you can all find something else to argue about. :P

Archived