Intentional headshots? Good or bad?

GuzziHero

Is it acceptable to headshot in airsoft?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Am I out of whack with this one?

• Yes, it adds to the skill
    • Yes, more people take their hits
    • No, its unnecessary and dangerous
    • No, its unsporting

Right, just had a bit of an argument on another forum about this. I dont intentionally headshot in airsoft and find it unnecessarily unsporting and dangerous to do so, another feller disagrees with me.

Im just interested to see which side people agree with, and why. Im just trying to work out whether Im 'with it' or not!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My personal take is that if a target presents his or her chest or arms or something then you should aim there, that is , dont just constantly head hunt. But if a headshot is the only clear shot you have on a target or thats all that they have out of cover i say take it. I think it goes without saying that if you are playing a sport that revolves around getting shot at a headshot will inevitably come your way.

Good point there!

I fully agree with HS if thats all you can see. I try to think on whether they are wearing full face protection or not and may not take the shot if they dont (and if I have time to consider it). But some folk, such as this guy I was debating with, intentionally hurt folk (he said something along the lines of leaving them with a red spot being a plus).

There are situations that a head shot is viable such as its the only bit you can see but nobody should go out to shoot someone in the head. Its dangerous and stupid and if I found anyone doing that at my sight they would not be allowed back.

In the same vain people shouting and screaming at other players because they get shot in the face when they are only wearing shooting glasses is moronic.

Any chance of a link to this "other forum".

Hmm, I didn't vote for any particular option as I don't agree with headshots needing more skill/increase hit taking/being dangerous (Within reason)/or being unsporting.

If, as has already been said, the head is your only target, then work with what you have, although I will make an effort to put fewer rounds toward the target ie 2 instead of 5. Sometimes at range I will use the head as a point of aim to drop rounds onto the torso, I have once hit someone in the head at about 30m snap shooting but it was simply blatting off two rounds as soon as something filled my sights, I think the most dangerous aspect of that was the surprise the person had at one of the rounds smacking off their facemasks sunshield (Was a paintball thingy).

On the flip side, I think I have been hit in the head/face most often in all my time of airsofting, the first time out I got shot in the lip twice in the same place in different rounds...why? I have probably have a big head and my skin colour does not blend in to well against forestry, so its a bleeding obvious thing to shoot. However, seeing as I've been hit mostly at range, never more than 1 shot to the mush I'm not going to complain about it as I doubt a full face mask would be much more comfortable to be hit in.

On that note, in woodland considering the ranges I think its perhaps more acceptable to go for a headshot in general, in urban though I would get seriously peeved at people aiming for my head if it wasn't the only thing exposed

First off, it's dangerous. I've seen more than a few faces shot up by accidental shots, there's no need to help probablity, it does a good enough job. If a head shot is all you have and the target HAS A FULL FACE MASK AND NECK COVERAGE I *may* take the shot, but only at a long range even then.

Cheers,

Daniel

Even if the head is the only shot I can take, and even if the guy is wearing full-on protection - sealed goggles, facemask and helmet — I’m still reluctant to take it. I don’t want "that one golden BB" to be a deliberate shot that I took.

This is just a game, so I don't see any need to permanently injure or scar people on the field. It’s bad enough that accidents happen in this sport, so why add to it?

It seems like I'm in the same boat as most people. If the rest of the body is visible, I will definatly shoot lower. Much easier to hit and MUCH less dangerous. Since the rules the games I go to go by state you only need full sealing goggles (TASO).

Sometimes you need to hit the other person in the head. If it's the only thing visible, so be it. I HATE it when people come screaming up to you complaning you hit them in the head. "Do you know where you were aiming!" I quote that. A guy yelled at my team mate since he got hit in the head. Was it intentional? No. It was the only body party visible.

DP

If its all you can see at range sure. Shoot at it. Up close, bang kill 'em. If they don't take the bang kill, lace 'em. Not in the face tho, no need for it, if you can aim at sommat else, go for that. This only really is an issue up close, and if your that close, you can see something else to shoot.

All a bit "as the cookie crumbles" really...

I very rarely take snap-shots when sniping. I'll observe my target before shooting.

If their head is visible and they're moving around I'd probably wait if I thought they were going to move out of cover.

Equally, if somebody was behind cover and they were bobbing around so just thier head was visible I probably wouldn't take the shot just in case they presented something like an unprotected ear or whatever to me.

The final scenario would be somebody in cover and stationary. In that case, if I could see their head I probably WOULD take the shot.

The other thing to consider is how often you make head shots.

I think if I got one (or more) in the first game, and then more in the next game, I might throttle back a bit and be more reluctant to take head shots for the rest of the day.

The last thing you want is a bunch of unhappy players who think they're being set up as moving targets for some psycho.

If someone's using cover only poking their head out then they know they can only be hit in the head, by using the cover in such a way they could be considered consenting to be hit in the head, so when it happens it happens. If a round is fired from 30 yards away hits your head because the wind hooked it the wrong way or you ducked into it etc, again, fair enough, its nobody's fault and you did agree to be shot at. Deliberately aiming for a head shot as a matter of coarse when there are easier places to score a hit, aside from the obvious safety concerns, is just daft because you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. Ad to that the fact that the distance most airsoft guns can reliably score a hit on a head size target is actually quite limited it screws you twofold, first because it limits the range of your effective engagement (which would also compound the safety issues) and second it increases the length of time you're supporting a stable aim, with your eye line on the sights during which time you're not as aware of your peripheral vision or as able to dodge out of the way if someone fires on you.

If you're using anything that's a bit more powerful EG sniper rifles etc then its bad form to take a deliberate head shot 99.9% of the time whether or not your target is wearing a helmet and/or full face because heads turn quicker than BBs fly, you can shoot at a big solid lump of plastic, the head turns at the sound and what you hit is squishy and painful.

I personally think head shots should only be viewed as a last resort option, only to be taken very rarely for one simple reasson.

Airsoft is supposed to be, above and before anything else, fun. I you end up accidentally injuring someone by taking a head shot, it's highly unlikely they'll be having too much fun afterwards. Likewise, in my case at least, it's highly unlikely I'd be having too much fun afterwards.

I also believe that it depends on the situation. Sometimes, if you only have a shot at the head, then it's unavoidable, otherwise, it's easier to just aim for the center of mass. Not to mention, in airsoft, sometimes it's not even worth taking a headshot at someone peeking their head out, since by the time you reacted, aimed, fired, the target would have already moved or ducked back in.

Yea, I only take em if that's the only thing going, and even then I don't always. Depending on what gun I have, the range, their protection etc. All these factors come into my mind before I take the shot, and in most cases I'll leave it, I can always get them later :) Plus, it takes more skill to leave an easy headshot and have to position yourself to gain the advantage in order to obtain a body shot. Patience pays, and I'm sure if your opponent knew you avoided a headshot, they'd be greatful too :) (just hope they'll do the same for me :P)

Decimus.

I haven't voted as there isn't a middle ground to vote with but I shall add my views being on the receiving end of numerous face hits.

Since starting airsoft I've always worn goggles so I knew of the risk of getting hit in the face and it hasn't bothered my in the slightest. Head shots in there own right can be deemed alright depending of the situation which has been echoed by numerous members.

Personally if am presented with someones head in my iron sights I will only fire if I know they're at the maximum range of my AEG. If they happen to be any closer say around 10-15 metres I'll wait till they expose more of themselves, generally if I've only spotted there head the chances of them spotting me will have been slightly less which gives me a good chance of being able to wait it out till am presented with what am after.

As I said I've received numerous face shots all of which I've called the moment the first BB has hit (I've been strafed across the face three times now) and walked away without a care about getting the guy back who just shot me in the face. Most of the times the hits to my face were because it was all that was exposed and I except I could've been a little careful but theres been a few times where people have aimed for my face directly and this has been viewed by Marshall's as well, but its one of those things which takes to much time and effort to police.

While head shots in airsoft are few and far from being the typical "one shot, one kill" I still believe it all falls down to personal preference on the matter.

Archived