The A&K M249 Review

I know there has been discussion in this post in regards to the flashider of the A&K M249 and removing it. Can anyone tell me if it is Counterclockwise, or clockwise? I would like to remove mine at some point and would like to know which way to wrench on it.

I got it in the USA from Airsplat. Thank you for the help all.

And thanks again to FarEast for the exceptional review of this gun. If you are considering buying or have purchased the A&K M249, follow his steps and you will have yourself one mean SAW! :angry:

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uh, on my Para version the thread is 14mm counter-clockwise just like my other AEGs.

I will try either way. Can someone tell me "how" they got their flashhider off on the Echo/A&K M249? I have tried to put it in a vice, use a wrench, use vice grips etc. But I can't get enough leverage. I am afraid I am going to gouge the metal, or bend the handle that is attached to the outer barrel. Any suggestions/recommendations? Thank you.

On my echo1 para, there was no problem getting the flash hider off.

Wow, I have tried a wrench, plyers, a vice, This bad boy is on here. I am trying to remove it clockwise. Is this the direction yours came off? How exactly did you get your flashider off infected?

Thanks.

Edited by ArmyofMike
Well to get it off... I just used my hand and unscrewed it clockwise (looking down the barrel).

You do know that the flash hider on the para unscrews at the front sight right?

Yes, I saw how FarEast got his off, I am trying to unscrew it just above the aluminum looking piece. I have been torqueing on it soooo much I am afraid I am going to bend/break the outer barrel. Not sure why it is on so tight. I will try to eat some Wheaties and work on again. :rolleyes::angry:

Well to get it off... I just used my hand and unscrewed it clockwise (looking down the barrel).

Wow, talk about confusing!

The thread on the M249 flash hider is -ve, CCW, counter-clockwise, left handed. Call it what you want. It unscrews the OPPOSITE way from most nuts and bolts.

What Infected says is correct, if a little confusing. If you're looking at the muzzle of the gun you should turn the f/h clockwise to remove it.

The f/h has a spanner flat cut into it. I'd suggest you use it with a suitable spanner... or wrench. :rolleyes:

Thank you Stealthbomber for the information too. And thank you infected. I will attempt both of your suggestions tomorrow (it is too late now in Cali for me to try to get this off~My Neighbors might get mad with all the screaming and cussing) and heat the barrel and then leverage it CCW. I appreciate both of your suggestions.

I will bet the SOB off. :angry::)

Looking at getting one of these pretty soon, but have a few Q's.

1. Is it an 8mm bearing gearbox? Might go and buy a CA Shell if it isn't.

2. Where to get a new microswitch in the UK?

3. I've got a G&P Ranger front grip, but with the bipod etc, can this still be installed?

1. Is it an 8mm bearing gearbox? Might go and buy a CA Shell if it isn't.

2. Where to get a new microswitch in the UK?

3. I've got a G&P Ranger front grip, but with the bipod etc, can this still be installed?

1) Yes. It is 8mm. Be warned, however, that the bearings do not have a flange so they're not like "normal" AEG bearings. The only reason to worry about the bearings is if you find your gun has a sticky bearing. Mine did. I replaced em for about £5 with bearings from an online engineering shop.

2) It's just a bog-standard DIN-spec microswitch. All the usual suspects (Maplin, RS, Farnell etc) sell them.Google "electrical components" and it's almost assured that any shop listed will sell them.

Personally, I don't think the microswitch is rated for the 20amp surge and 10 amp continuous current that the gun draws.

I'd seriously consider fitting a mosfet or relay to the M249 to give the microswitch an easy life.

3) If it's for a CA M249 it should fit just fine.

FYI, Update on my flashider removal. This thing is a Dirty, Dirty Filthy Whor_ and I Hate it for making my life not fun right now! :P

Translation: I still can't get it off the outer barrel going CCW. It is threaded to the larger outer barrel piece with cryptonite! Why must it be this hard? :(

Off to the store I go to get some Beer. O'well. :rolleyes:

1) Yes. It is 8mm. Be warned, however, that the bearings do not have a flange so they're not like "normal" AEG bearings. The only reason to worry about the bearings is if you find your gun has a sticky bearing. Mine did. I replaced em for about £5 with bearings from an online engineering shop.

Hum... I was just considering replacing my bearings (as my 249 just stopped feeding and I'm going back into the gun).

So these wouldn't work:

http://www.gunnerairsoft.com/catalog/produ...products_id=546

Everywhere I look, I'm finding the possible correct bearings for $10-11 each!

Stealthbomber, what are the dimensions of the bearings (ID, OD, Width), that I need to be looking for? Any suggestions on where to look? I looked at mcmaster's as they have just about everything... but there's only 2 choices in 8mm bearings.

Could I use a 5/16inch bearing as it's almost the exact same size? There are more choices in that size here, but still over $6 each bearing.

Do you have a link to the ones you bought Stealth?

FYI, Update on my flashider removal. This thing is a Dirty, Dirty Filthy Whor_ and I Hate it for making my life not fun right now! :P

Translation: I still can't get it off the outer barrel going CCW. It is threaded to the larger outer barrel piece with cryptonite! Why must it be this hard? :(

Off to the store I go to get some Beer. O'well. :rolleyes:

I didn't read the entire article, but if it's like my old CA M249, then the threads are CW, not CCW.