The A&K M249 Review

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone? (Sorry for the bump, rather urgent. :) )

5.25" is what I have although someone just said 3.5" :(

My para wieghs in at 15 pounds and is 36 inches long... unloaded... id suggest going with the MK2 due to the soft metal of the stock. mine arrived with a stripped support pipe. its 42 inches long though (mk2)

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

first, i'll say sorry if my questions have already been answered but right now i don't have much time.

I'm a beginner to airsoft and i'd really like to buy this M249, but i can't "modify" it, change its parts or fix it's internal problems (maybe with my father's help i could do something, but i'm uncertain).. should I buy it anyway, or buy something else? (i was thinking to an A&K SR25K)

Could you give me a list of the things i should replace if i buy the M249?

Sorry again if these questions have already been answered.

Thanks.

Edit: sry for the necroposting.

Edited by Alaric0ita0
Hello all,

first, i'll say sorry if my questions have already been answered but right now i don't have much time.

I'm a beginner to airsoft and i'd really like to buy this M249, but i can't "modify" it, change its parts or fix it's internal problems (maybe with my father's help i could do something, but i'm uncertain)

I'll be dead honest here. If you don't think you can fix the internals, I would start off with a more reliable gun than this one. I love clone guns, and have owned several, but you have to be prepared to do some work in them at some point. The M249 is going to need work sooner rather than later given the garbage trigger switch, and poor air seals. Now the M249 is the easiest of all gearboxes to work on, but if you're not comfortable with that... stick with something like a CA (pro-line series not sportline) that has stronger stock internals, and a bit better quality control. You could also just pay an Airsoft-smith to work on your gun for you.

I'll be dead honest here. If you don't think you can fix the internals, I would start off with a more reliable gun than this one. I love clone guns, and have owned several, but you have to be prepared to do some work in them at some point. The M249 is going to need work sooner rather than later given the garbage trigger switch, and poor air seals. Now the M249 is the easiest of all gearboxes to work on, but if you're not comfortable with that... stick with something like a CA (pro-line series not sportline) that has stronger stock internals, and a bit better quality control. You could also just pay an Airsoft-smith to work on your gun for you.

I think that with my father i could fix most "common" problems, but if things start to get complicated i'm not sure what we can do.. do you know other guides to this M249 other than this review? If you say the gearbox is easy to work on, then i'm confidend we can work on it. About CA arisoft guns, i'd rather not pay that much, also, there are no airsoft smiths in my area that i know of.

Thanks!

Ive not had a problem with my trigger switch, biggest problem has been the boxmag feeding correctly. There are a few takedown videos on youtube showing you how it comes to pieces all the way down to the gearbox and its internals. It is very simple, I disasembled the gearbox in the safezone at a skirmish and replaced the piston in about 10 minutes. There is a lot of support here on Arnies and any problems you would get could be answered very quickly and helpfully. There is also a subsection on Arnies called The Foxhole which is dedicated to support guns and there is also a dedicated thread on there to the ak m249 gearbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_bHWjN2S4

Ive not had a problem with my trigger switch, biggest problem has been the boxmag feeding correctly. There are a few takedown videos on youtube showing you how it comes to pieces all the way down to the gearbox and its internals. It is very simple, I disasembled the gearbox in the safezone at a skirmish and replaced the piston in about 10 minutes. There is a lot of support here on Arnies and any problems you would get could be answered very quickly and helpfully. There is also a subsection on Arnies called The Foxhole which is dedicated to support guns and there is also a dedicated thread on there to the ak m249 gearbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_bHWjN2S4

I'll watch these videos and be sure to ask if i'll encounter any problems working with the M249, thank you !

Wich parts of it you'd suggest me to change? Some say i should change the piston the "air group" or how it's called and the hop up nub... do you know an online shop where i can buy them (i know a couple of Italian ones, but they don't seem to have all the things i need)? Last things: which brands and models are compatible with an M249?

Thanks!

Edited by Alaric0ita0

I bought most of the internals from an ebay company called ehobbyasia, they also have their own website now. The internals are ver2 compatible or v2 when looking for parts. Hopup nub was a systema one and changed the rubber at the same time. Really easy to do. Element gearbox internals, Guarder piston head, Marui electric motor.

Unless you really want to or need to dont open the gearbox until youve used it or had it chronoed. If there is a air leak in the piston it will show up on the chrono results. Element sell gearbox packages that have gears/piston/piston head/spring guide/shims/arl etc. You may want to change the motor as the stock one is ok but not brilliant for lots of pay and spray. The AOE is not very good stock and a washer will help but were getting ahead of ourselves here.

I suggest you buy the gun, hopup rubber and nub, a couple of m4 mags if you have problems with the boxmag.

I bought most of the internals from an ebay company called ehobbyasia, they also have their own website now. The internals are ver2 compatible or v2 when looking for parts. Hopup nub was a systema one and changed the rubber at the same time. Really easy to do. Element gearbox internals, Guarder piston head, Marui electric motor.

Unless you really want to or need to dont open the gearbox until youve used it or had it chronoed. If there is a air leak in the piston it will show up on the chrono results. Element sell gearbox packages that have gears/piston/piston head/spring guide/shims/arl etc. You may want to change the motor as the stock one is ok but not brilliant for lots of pay and spray. The AOE is not very good stock and a washer will help but were getting ahead of ourselves here.

I suggest you buy the gun, hopup rubber and nub, a couple of m4 mags if you have problems with the boxmag.

Thanks for the detailed list! It sounds pretty expensive, tho.

I'd upgrade the gun more focusing on making it "durable" and "hard to break", i play airsoft amongst friends so i don't really need a very powerful gun, there'd be no fun xD, my friends use mostly Jiing Jong g36cs and Steyr Augs, some even gas pistols :D .

How much you think your list would cost? I'd rather avoid spending more than.. say 40-60 €, unless it's really necessary (if i can keep the gun as it is "on box" and then upgrade it one piece at a time, without risking to have it break in the meanwhile, then ok, but i'd prefer avoiding spending another 100€ right now :D , so if you can tell me a less expensive "list" of parts (if you can say me even the models (i'm no expert, so i fear i'd buy something crappy), you'd make me very happy), i'd really appreciate it ^^.

Thanks again for your help, and sorry if my english is not very good :) .

Edit: i had a look at that side, and motor and shipping aside, it seems to be far less expensive than i tought!

Right now, i found:

Element Full Tune Up Kit For version 2 Gearbox

Sytema New Hop Up Packing

guarder aluminum ventilation piston head with bearing (there were several Guarder piston heads, i'm not sure which one choose)

Would you suggest adding a fore grip? If so i found this, but i'm not sure if it's compatible.

Edited by Alaric0ita0

AVOID ELEMENT GEARS. I've trashed 2 sets of element gears with less than 200 rounds through each one.

Also AVOID METAL PISTON HEADS. All that does it beat in the front of your gearbox. The piston head o-ring is what's doing the work to seal your cylinder, so you're better off with a piston head breaking than your piston or gears stripping or your gearbox cracking. Yeah, the m249 gearbox is not prone to cracking, but this is a good practice anyway in all builds.

AVOID ELEMENT GEARS. I've trashed 2 sets of element gears with less than 200 rounds through each one.

Also AVOID METAL PISTON HEADS. All that does it beat in the front of your gearbox. The piston head o-ring is what's doing the work to seal your cylinder, so you're better off with a piston head breaking than your piston or gears stripping or your gearbox cracking. Yeah, the m249 gearbox is not prone to cracking, but this is a good practice anyway in all builds.

Hmm... what would you suggest then? I'm far from familiar with gearboxes.. as i said, i care more to durability than performance improvments.

What do you say about the rest of the parts, and the fore grip?

EDIT: just realized Element gears are out of stock, so i can't buy them anyway xD. Thanks for the reply! (RE-EDIT: other versions are in stock, from 20 $ to 50$, the other manufacturers are a waaaaay more expensive..)

Edited by Alaric0ita0

Guarder gears should suffice if you're replacing the stock gearing. Honestly.. as far as gears go... I suggest riding them till they break. The stock piston and piston head should be replaced. A Guarder piston should work just fine (v2), and most polycarb piston heads should be fine (stay away from element & guarder piston heads though). Either a bearing polycarb or a solid metal spring guide should do you fine. Replace the stock switch though. Several people throughout this thread have had theirs fail (like me), where they become stuck in the "on" position.

The foregrip won't work unless you change out the lower part of the front end with an RIS system meant for the m249.

Remember, you should reshim it when you get it, the factory shimming isn't great. Read back through the thread near the first 25% of it, and you'll see where we talk about replacement bearings. That'll make a big difference too. Replace the piston head and pistion, and switch and you'll have a pretty reliable gun.

Guarder gears should suffice if you're replacing the stock gearing. Honestly.. as far as gears go... I suggest riding them till they break. The stock piston and piston head should be replaced. A Guarder piston should work just fine (v2), and most polycarb piston heads should be fine (stay away from element & guarder piston heads though). Either a bearing polycarb or a solid metal spring guide should do you fine. Replace the stock switch though. Several people throughout this thread have had theirs fail (like me), where they become stuck in the "on" position.

The foregrip won't work unless you change out the lower part of the front end with an RIS system meant for the m249.

Remember, you should reshim it when you get it, the factory shimming isn't great. Read back through the thread near the first 25% of it, and you'll see where we talk about replacement bearings. That'll make a big difference too. Replace the piston head and pistion, and switch and you'll have a pretty reliable gun.

Hmm.. so my new "shop list" would be:

Systema Hop-Up Packing

Systema Polycarbonate piston (i hope it's compatible with my AEG)

Systema A-1000 Aluminium Piston Head or Star Bearing Ventliation Piston Head which one do you suggest?

Systema Flat Gear Set for Original Gearbox (is it compatible? Also, i'm aiming more at durability, than performance increases.. and while keeping things not *so* expensive..)

..it should be over now! And it's quite more expensive than the last one! But if you say it's better, and that the others break often, then i'll take these.

Thanks for the tips!

EDIT: what does "shimming" mean? Can't find a traslation!

Edited by Alaric0ita0

If you're talking about the "Systema" Area 1000 Piston DON'T DO IT. I've broken every one I've installed. I would go with the Guarder Full Tooth Econo. Piston. Much Much better quality.

In fact, avoid all Area 1000 items. Sure it's "made by systema", but it's no where near the quality.

The systema gear set is nice, and will work find, but again... wait till you trash your stock ones. Also, look for the guarder gearset. it'll be a few bucks cheaper, and unless you're looking to run a high fps spring, you should be fine with them. I've used them in builds without problems.

If you're talking about the "Systema" Area 1000 Piston DON'T DO IT. I've broken every one I've installed. I would go with the Guarder Full Tooth Econo. Piston. Much Much better quality.

In fact, avoid all Area 1000 items. Sure it's "made by systema", but it's no where near the quality.

The systema gear set is nice, and will work find, but again... wait till you trash your stock ones. Also, look for the guarder gearset. it'll be a few bucks cheaper, and unless you're looking to run a high fps spring, you should be fine with them. I've used them in builds without problems.

I've found Guarder Full Theet Polycarbonate Piston for Marui both "Enco ver" and normal one (6 bucks more expensive).. will these be compatible? And... whats' the Enco ver?

Guarder gears: Original Type Steel Gears and High speed ones (slightly more expensive) which one do you suggest?

What's the shimming? Can't find a translation in italian.. i found this btw: Guarder Shim Set for AEG series gearbox.

Do i need to change the spring set too? If so, i found : Guarder Spring Set For v2\3 Gearbox

Thanks again for the huge help you're giving!

EDIT: forgot about piston heads: Prometheus Piston Head with bearing Neo and Guarder Policarbonate Ventilation Piston Head... which one do you suggest?

Edited by Alaric0ita0

First of all... what's your goal with this thing? If all you want is reliablity, but to stick with the stock fps and rate of fire, then do the following:

Guarder Econo Piston (the other piston has more metal teeth)

Re-shim the gears (Guarder shims are fine). If you dont' know what shimming is, search on the forums for it

The prometheus piston is fine, but probably expensive. There are cheaper ones out there. Stay clear of the Guarder piston head it fails easily.

Change the piston head to a polycarb (not a guarder though)

Put on a bearing spring guide.

Done.

If you want to increase the rate of fire, change the motor to a G&P m120 and put in a 9.6v battery, or an 11.1v lipo if you want to get crazy and a MOSFET. (in addition to the above stuff).

First of all... what's your goal with this thing? If all you want is reliablity, but to stick with the stock fps and rate of fire, then do the following:

Guarder Econo Piston (the other piston has more metal teeth)

Re-shim the gears (Guarder shims are fine). If you dont' know what shimming is, search on the forums for it

The prometheus piston is fine, but probably expensive. There are cheaper ones out there. Stay clear of the Guarder piston head it fails easily.

Change the piston head to a polycarb (not a guarder though)

Put on a bearing spring guide.

Done.

If you want to increase the rate of fire, change the motor to a G&P m120 and put in a 9.6v battery, or an 11.1v lipo if you want to get crazy and a MOSFET. (in addition to the above stuff).

My goal is more or less having a durable (the longer it lasts before other fixes \ modifications, the happier i am), reliable and as "jamless" as i can gun.

So here's the new (and i hope final) shop list:

-Guarder Gear Thing (same as before)

-Guarder Shim Set

-Systema Hop Up Packing (i heard stock Hop Up is quite crappy)

-Guarder Polycarbonate Piston Head With Bearing EDIT: correction, just seen you said to stay away from it so... back to the Prometheus POM piston head with bearing ora cheaper Action POM piston head w\ bearing ? RE-EDIT: Prometheun one's out of stock so.. Another Prometheum PolyCarb. one With bearings and "NEO", by now i'm so tired of searching things that i care not if this costs a handful buck more than another...

-Guarder Polycarbonate Piston For Marui AEG Series (Eco version) it's compatible, isn't it?

EDIT: Guarder Spring Set

List should be over, i don't think i forgot anything.. thanks for the tips!

Last Edit, just for clarity's sake:

Guarder Full Teeth Polycarbonate Piston for Marui AEG Series (Enco Ver) (assuming it's compatible) If it's not compatible then Systema Area 1000 Polycarbonate Piston for Ver 2/3 (the non-Area 1000 ones are all out of stock...) Also, there's some Element Full Teeth Lightweight Piston for V2/3 AEG Gearbox, but i don't think it's good, at a first glance.

Guarder Shim Set for AEG Series Gearbox

Guarder Gearbox Spring Set For Ver. II/III AEG

Guarder Original Type Steel Gear Set for Gearbox Ver. 2/3 AEG

Prometheus POM Piston Head w/ Bearing NEO

Edited by Alaric0ita0

Again, I'd drop the gears and not worry about replacing them till your stock ones break. that'll save you a bit of money.

Also, don't worry about the "spring set". I've never had one of those springs fail on me. Unless you lose one, you'll probably not need to replace one for a long time to come.

Everything else looks fine.

Just a note. Anything that is V2 (version2) compatible will work in your gearbox.

Also, read up on fixing box mag issues. somone a few posts up mentioned this. the box mags are good, but hit and miss.