The A&K M249 Review

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all!

Will a ICS or CA Armalite hi-cap mag work in my A&K M249?

Im so sorry if this question have been answered earlyer

Not neccesarily.

Ive found that the M249 is very picky about what M16 mags work with it.

I have nearly a dozen M16 hicaps and I think there's only 2 of them that'll work with the M249. There's a couple more that feel like they nearly work and would just need a bit of work to get them sorted.

I have something like 20-odd midcaps and lowcaps and NONE of them fit into the M249!

They will locate into the magwell and feed OK but they don't lock in place.

I suspect that all that needs doing is to shave a tiny bit off one edge of the latch that locks the mags in place but I haven't really investigated it. I just tip more BBs into the boxmag instead. :P

Actually, it's just occured to me that the problem might be that the nozzle in the hop-up is slightly too wide (or long) to hook into the nozzle at the top of the mag.

If this is the case then filing a bit off the M249 feed nozzle might be all it takes to sort it out.

I shall have a proper look at this tomorrow.

Maybe.

anyone know if theres a 14mm clockwise sound hog out there that will fit this bad boy? wanna make mine that little more intimidating :)

cheers

I doubt you'll succeed in finding any 14mm clockwise flash hider to fit the M249, given that it has a COUNTER CLOCKWISE thread on the end of the outer barrel. ;)

Be warned that there's only about 5mm gap between the stock flash hider and the gas regulator.

The stock flash hider is 22mm diameter. A Noveske flash hider is 36mm diameter and, basically, it won't fit. It'll foul the regulator.

A bit of measuring tells me that no flash hider wider than 30mm (29mm to be safe) will fit on the M249.

Actually, it occurs to me that what I said only applies to versions of the M249 with the para length barrel.

The barrel of the other versions is long enough that it sticks out in front of the gas regulator.

So yeah, you'll be able to stick a Noveske f/h on a Mk1 or Mk2 M249.

As long as you use one with a CCW thread.

FWIW, I got a chinese Noveske knock-off and it makes my M4 sound loud as hell and it came with a pair of dinky threaded sleeves that allow it to be used on CW or CCW muzzles.

I'm downgrading my 249 para to a stock marui spring to increase the rof. With that spring in, the hop up has NO effect. I know about the hop up being garbage out of the box and that I need to put a spacer in there so it pushes more on the rubber. Would it benefit me to put in a clear guarder hop up rubber in there instead of the stock one and fix the hop nub?

Definitely, my hop rubber was ok nut the hop nub was minimal, seems minimal on most pics Ive seen out there.

Looking forward to your sound hog modification millest and if the mag feed problem works s.bomber..

Are the Element FTK kits only for use on ver2 & 3 AEG gearboxes and not the PGC boxes - just thinking aloud and wanting this question answered as well? Ive yet to open my M249 gearbox to compare gears etc.

Edited by cafemondo
I'm downgrading my 249 para to a stock marui spring to increase the rof. With that spring in, the hop up has NO effect. I know about the hop up being garbage out of the box and that I need to put a spacer in there so it pushes more on the rubber. Would it benefit me to put in a clear guarder hop up rubber in there instead of the stock one and fix the hop nub?

I am doubtful that replacing the stock hop-up nub with ANY aftermarket one will be a useful upgrade, particularly a soft one.

Thing is, as you'll know if you've examined the gun, the hop-up nub goes in end-on.

The adjuster wheel presses down on the nub as it rotates. A softer nub is probably just going to flex as you turn the dial to the left or right and could even get wedged in the adjuster dial.

Ideally, I'd suggest finding a ball-bearing about 2mm diameter and fitting it on top of the nub so it doesn't distort when yo adjust the dial. See sketch below.

Having said that, once you do fit the steel BB above the bucking, then you can start experimenting with harder or softer sleeves.

CAM249hopmod.jpg