Operation Irene 5 Pictures

Is their no way around this US only rule as i'm planning a dream holiday ride across US on a Harley trip for 2010 and would love to get in on one of these games.

Sorry man, but I doubt it. It IS a US Military Base, after all.

Actually, during the 2005 Boy Scouts of America Jamboree at For AP Hill, I don't think people of other nationalities were admitted, either (or if they were, there was a fair bit of paperwork).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AZNriptide: Those simulated rocket rounds travel along a transparent fishing line from building to building (Or rooftop to parked vehicle) for safety. I will never forget when one of my fellow rats and I burst into a room on the 2nd floor of the TV station only to spot the wire running along from the school 200 yards away, and the blast pad behind us. There were no words exchanged other than "Uh..." Before we both hopped out of there like the place was on fire and slammed the door shut. The OC must have seen us, because no more than 30 seconds later the rocket streaked into that room with a loud boom and a burst of black smoke.

The event was full of moments like that, where else can you go to play in a town with their own (armed) police force, fire department, populace, freedom fighters and an army (All played a role)? Add that to the two companies of soldiers assaulting the key points in town and a lot of well orchestrated pyrotechnics and good game organization. I went there skeptical and came back impressed. It is an experience worth the "Field fee" which is really quite worth it. I looked at it as a vacation (spent two days out of work even), and spending $235 on "Activities" on vacation is not exactly uncalled for (usually its a few trips to some museums, cab fare, higher food prices, show tickets etc). I spent way more on my trip to Las Vegas this year, and I didn't have half as much fun there.

As for getting in I have to back up Hanzo on this one, they open up more than 100 slots to fresh blood every year, if you want in you just have to have the cash in hand and register. You must be 18, and must be willing to ascribe to their regulations. This is not an open game where you just show up and pay to play, it is an experience. I am sorry to hear there are so many Europeans who are unable to attend, there is one member of the River Rats who immigrated from Scotland and was unable to attend for this reason. This is because of the pile of paperwork required to allow a non-naturalized citizen on a functioning military installation unfortunately. I would very much love to come to an event like this and commiserate with some players from all around the world if I could. Some day there will be installations like this that are more open. As soon as I make a few million that I can dispose of in that way at least! :D

To anyone who is 18 and eligable to attend I recommend you give it a shot. You will certinally have a great experience.

I already tryed to play Irene games, but it's only for US citizen... and I'm Portuguese, European!

For me it's more easy to go to Iraq, that play Irene!

STUNTMAN

Stuntman,

There are plenty of other high-quality games over here Stateside that equal or certainly compete with Irene-

A friend of mine hosts some amazing games in the Pacific Northwest, from an 'industry standard' reference quality RECONDO school lead by real veteran instructors to many many other historical themed events.

http://www.tealeafpoetry.com/

Tell him Guinness sent ya ;)

....Besides, we don't want to see ya go off to the Iraq- I think the other 'players' are using guns that are a bit over the 1 joule limit :o

Also, I know it's beautiful in Portugal and all....but you'll fall in love with the Northwest and need to stay :D

>Back on topic :unsure:

Slainte!

As an "insurgent" it was a blast.

I enjoyed being able to seriously mess with both Delta and Charlie.

If you want a better idea of what it is like get the dvd and play it through a good surround sound system with the volume turned up to 11.

I was refing at the begining of the Sunday scenario between the embassy and the hotel and some of the pyro was not only heard but I could feel it in my chest as well.

I am still exhuasted I wish I had taken today as a vacation day as well.

zbear -

So you're with Shadow Company huh? Outstanding job what Shadow company did, man. The insurgent on the right hand side (pic below) took out 3-4 of my guys when we tried to clear the townhomes. He was positioned quite well up on the rooftop and it was just impossible to assault it without a grenade.

IMG_8333.jpg

As an "insurgent" it was a blast.

I enjoyed being able to seriously mess with both Delta and Charlie.

If you want a better idea of what it is like get the dvd and play it through a good surround sound system with the volume turned up to 11.

I was refing at the begining of the Sunday scenario between the embassy and the hotel and some of the pyro was not only heard but I could feel it in my chest as well.

I am still exhuasted I wish I had taken today as a vacation day as well.

There are plenty of other high-quality games over here Stateside that equal or certainly compete with Irene-

A friend of mine hosts some amazing games in the Pacific Northwest, from an 'industry standard' reference quality RECONDO school lead by real veteran instructors to many many other historical themed events.

No offense, Guinness, but while it's true there are many other top-notch, quality events out there to attend, IMO there's really only one Irene :) . The pyrotechnics alone at Zussman would make it stand out as one of a kind, only there's so much more going on: last weekend there were around 100 volunteers in attendance all dressed as indigenous residents and carrying on with various common tasks. There were cab drivers, bankers, tellers, business men, merchants, children, women with babies, an old man walking his dog, married couples, young “tuffs” with boom boxes, a local fire department with working fire truck, a local pd, local militia, religious leaders, etc. etc. All of them went about their normal tasks and often interacted with Delta and Charlie. Sometimes this was for the better, such as when locals gave us intel or military support if they were friendly, and sometimes it was for the worse, such as when insurgents would suicide bomb us or ambush us with ieds if they were hostile. Sometimes their interactions with each other would turn ugly, such as when a merchant caught a thief in his stall across the street and we had to decide whether or not to intervene (we didn’t). It added a whole new level to the airsoft experience that was truly awesome (and btw, those volunteers were excellent actors. They really sold it).

Furthermore, spread throughout the whole village are dozens of large speakers which broadcast ambient sound appropriate to the specific area of town and what’s going on at the time. Close to our position at ZNN, the speakers broadcast city sounds, such as cars honking and driving by, crowds walking by, construction equipment, etc. When fighting broke out, the speakers would blare gun shots, machine gun reports, people screaming in terror, etc. It was a very realistic touch.

What wasn’t immediately obvious at the start of the event was that the entire town is literally rigged to blow up. Throughout the various buildings, cars, walls, etc. are hidden explosives which can be detonated by controllers if they are hit by rpgs or if fighting stays prolonged and intense for a long period of time. These explosives produce voluminous smoke and fire, causing many areas to stay on fire (and discharging more smoke.) Sometimes these fires burn out after a while, but often the local fd has to show up and literally mount a mini-suppression operation complete with hose streams. Way cool. As Mule mentioned, the village is also rigged with clear tension-wires upon which rpgs are launched. These charges can fly into rooms through the windows and doors, at roof tops, against cars, walls, what have you. When they fly they produce smoke and flame and make a loud roaring noise until they strike their target, at which point they explode (and, you guessed it, produce more smoke.) Insurgents can also launch hand-held flares at participants to further simulate rpgs.

Occasionally, technicals would rip down the street, blasting .50 caliber blanks. This added a lot to the experience because of the obvious realism and the fact that if you didn’t seek immediate hard cover, one of the many OCs would walk up to you and call you out on the spot. It’s very hard to describe in words the intensity and realism of being at Zussman, but between the fire, explosions, smoke, screams, ambient sounds, technicals, insurgents, gunfire, and Charlie, the pandemonium was intense and the senses were almost quite literally overwhelmed. Think Hollywood Studios for combat. It was truly awe inspiring.

With MSG Mullens:

212591018-M.jpg

When this thing blew up 20ft from me, I almost jumped out of my skin:

212589227-M.jpg

With Col. McKnight:

212591629-M.jpg

A little momento for our worthy adversaries, Charlie Co:

212583058-M.jpg

Yah, John Lu got one too :D :

212592272-M.jpg

zbear -

So you're with Shadow Company huh? Outstanding job what Shadow company did, man. The insurgent on the right hand side (pic below) took out 3-4 of my guys when we tried to clear the townhomes. He was positioned quite well up on the rooftop and it was just impossible to assault it without a grenade.

IMG_8333.jpg

There were a lot of targets on the field with the odds being 20 to 1 against us.

I got a lot of kills on Charlie during the night game saturday.

I was in the back corner of the embassy on the third floor watchi9ng the gate from the railyard.

Got about 40 of them trying to storm the gate before I ran out of bb's and got shot.

Sunday was insane at one point down by the huey in front of the church we were in a 3 way firefight with both Charlie and Delta.

My favortie was 2 Charlie guys rode up to the huey in the little white truck they jumped out and I charged them and got both ot them.

There was a third Charlie guy with them he was drawing down on me and another insurgent got him.

Lots of great firefights.

I will be back on staff the next time it is at Zussman

No offense, Guinness, but while it's true there are many other top-notch, quality events out there to attend, IMO there's really only one Irene :) .

-snip-

No no- none taken certainly :D

My point to Stuntman was, there are other reasons to come over the lake to the US for a game- He would never get into Irene anyway of course, so there are other options.

Irene is unique and I agree, without parallel! Fantastic AAR BTW :)

... must go also as a good guy, as much as I'm a all-for Op-For, I must get all Armalite and tac gear for this!

That's the funny thing. There doesn't seem to be a defined 'Good Guy' or 'Bad Guy' Team. It's just Charlie vs. Delta; Each with their own objectives, etc. SO... Armalite + Tac Gearz is appropriate for either team. It pretty much boils down to what color you want to wear. Woodland or Tri-Color, sir?

looks cool enough :D like a US Town assault game, but with mad props :)

The cosplayers look awesome and is something i'd really like to experience to ,though we had some of that going on at TA4 aswell, but not as dedicated as this by far :D (i hear berget games uses cosplayers to? might have to go to one of those then :P )

To bad the non us citizens can't play there :( grmbl *mumbles something about uncle sam* :P , otherwise i would have to make plans for a trip around one of these games... they look like alot of fun if they are run MILSIM, ie no highcaps, ammo ristrictions etc.

Luckily the UK MOD doesn't mind me prancing about their army training grounds :P , stuntman; you should check out future TA games, especially at the CHD facility ;)

That's the funny thing. There doesn't seem to be a defined 'Good Guy' or 'Bad Guy' Team. It's just Charlie vs. Delta; Each with their own objectives, etc. SO... Armalite + Tac Gearz is appropriate for either team. It pretty much boils down to what color you want to wear. Woodland or Tri-Color, sir?

Doesn't matter.

As long as I get to be at Irene! :D

The Badger wonders why they limit the game to 300 people, he can only speculate as to how much they could make if they opened it to everyone... (220 x 300 = 60,000 at least) he guesses its something to do with using a military base... (not that they'd let The Badger on it anyway, bloody non-us citizen rules (mutters something about drafts))

Wow. Just Wow. :o

To bad the non us citizens can't play there :( grmbl *mumbles something about uncle sam* :P

Why do you say that? Is it just the aircraft restrictions? Or literally, we can't play on the site because we are foreigners? :unsure:

Luckily the UK MOD doesn't mind me prancing about their army training grounds :P , stuntman; you should check out future TA games, especially at the CHD facility ;)

Are there going to be any future TA games? And if there are, they probs wont be at CHD. Where was the last one held..... That looks pretty awesome.

Edited by kliskey
The Badger wonders why they limit the game to 300 people, he can only speculate as to how much they could make if they opened it to everyone... (220 x 300 = 60,000 at least) he guesses its something to do with using a military base... (not that they'd let The Badger on it anyway, bloody non-us citizen rules (mutters something about drafts))

With 350 players split between Charlie Co and Delta Co, roughly 100 civilians/roleplayers and I cant remember how many Shadow Co insurgent/freedom fighters, that Large MOUT facility becomes rather clustered with bodies. The player limit very well may have to do with keeping the playing area less congested.

None the less if you can get the chance I HIGHLY reccomend to anyone that you go to this event, I still cant stop feeling al giddy about it

Wow. Just Wow. :o

Why do you say that? Is it just the aircraft restrictions? Or literally, we can't play on the site because we are foreigners? :unsure:

Are there going to be any future TA games? And if there are, they probs wont be at CHD. Where was the last one held..... That looks pretty awesome.

hi mate! when did you get back? :)

Well, according to the thread it's to do with foreigners on US military bases :(

and you'r right... the TA series has ended (TA5 was the Cearwent training site) but i'm sure Ian has a new series in his head, so who knows, we might return to CHD :)

An LC production (IRENE, Hac-Bao, Northern Wind) in the U.S. on military bases maybe a far-reached event to our foreign constituents here, but rumor has it that John Lu is trying to seal an agreement with Mainland China to hold the largest milsim-game outside the U.S. there.

Just imagine the PLA going against the West for a milsim experience unrivaled since IRENE or LionClaws game...

Well, if it ever become official, I'd wonder how much it's gonna cost ($2,500, the scuttle butt is..). It'll become one hoot of a game though...