ACM Noveske Afghan 14.5'' build

ardrummer292

The look I'm approximating.

Alright, I'm hoping to build a "budget" Noveske Afghan almost entirely out of ACM parts, all ordered from Evike. Yes, I know, Evike doesn't have the greatest reputation, but I'm willing to risk it for the savings I'll get (10% off or free shipping, whichever I choose). Here's what I have for my parts list so far:

Echo-1 M4 RIS: Inexpensive base gun with excellent performance, if my teammates' Echo-1 M16 DMR and M4 Commando are anything to go by.

JBU 12'' RAS: Cheap, effective, and decently attractive. Also, it mates to the receiver in a similar fashion as the VLTOR VIS, which is used on the real Afghan.

ICS Vortex flashhider: It wouldn't be an Afghan without the Vortex muzzle brake. This is as close as it gets, at least as far as Evike's options go.

CA SR15 flipup RIS front sight: As much as I'd love to splurge on a set of KA Battle Sights, the M4 already comes with a folding rear sight and I could use the money for more mags.

KA vertical grip

MadBull RAS Fix: I'm not sure how the JBU RAS attaches to the receiver, let alone how stable it will be. Whether I buy this part or not is yet undecided, as I don't know if it's necessary or not. I plan on eventually mounting a long RIS AG36 on this rifle, although that's far in the future.

G&P green/red dot Aimpoint: I'm not sure whether to buy the low L-mount (and mount it on the RAS fix) or, if the RAS fix is unnecessary, get the high cantilever mount instead.

MAG 100rd midcaps

Total: under $400 shipped

Modifications:

Remove front sight from outer barrel.

Sand and coat outer barrel with gray primer.

Paint lower receiver, vert. grip, rail covers, and stock.

I could use some input, as I'm unsure about a few parts in there (the JBU RAS and MB RAS fix come to mind). Lemme know what you think. :)

Note: I'm not messing with the internals, as every Echo-1 I've had the privilege to use has exhibited spectacular performance in all venues. I expect nothing different from this rifle.

Looks pretty close to the real deal. I think it'll look alright.

Any input on the JBU RAS/MB RAS fix?

The JBU RAS should be attached via a proprietary barrel nut, which is torqued onto the receiver threads. If you use a strap wrench or a barrel nut wrench like you should, the RAS fix is unecessary.

Strap wrenches can be had from your local home depot for about $10. The barrel nut wrench is a real steel tool that costs about the same, but is much more task specific. I bought a husky wrench from home depot for $15, rubber strap, works fine.

Alright, Echo-1 M4 RIS and MAG midcap box set en route from Evike. Unsurprisingly, all the other parts I needed were out of stock, so I'm gonna have to source those alternately.

I was thinking about picking up an SR15 flipup front RIS sight, but I'm not sure how it will look. Input?

MO-SR15-063-CA.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Here she is, the finished product. Already skirmished her at a goodly-size OP with impressive results. Solid, good shooter, looks great, and decently cheap overall. I'm impressed. :)

AfghanProtec007.jpg

AfghanProtec010.jpg

AfghanProtec009.jpg

AfghanProtec011.jpg

Parts list:

ECHO-1 M4 RIS

JBU M16 RAS

CA Vortex flashhider

CA SR15 flipup front sight

Barska 1.25-4x 26mm scope

Leapers medium profile 30mm mount base (up to 56mm objective)

MAG midcap with homemade magpul

You sir, have inspired me! That looks awesome!

What was the total cost, and how much did the Euro-30 run you?

If you are going for the Schmidt and Bender or Trijicon Accupoint look, I reccomend the Bomber SPR-E mount, it looks pretty close to the Larue version.

You sir, have inspired me! That looks awesome!

What was the total cost, and how much did the Euro-30 run you?

If you are going for the Schmidt and Bender or Trijicon Accupoint look, I reccomend the Bomber SPR-E mount, it looks pretty close to the Larue version.

Thanks for the kind words, mate. :)

The gun and accessories ran me $335 before shipping. I picked up a box of 8 MAG 100rd midcaps, but didn't include that in the price. :)

I picked up the Barska for $80 here:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/barska-1-4x26-...pe-ac10018.html

The mount is a $15 Leapers jobby, hence the reason I didn't buy the $50 Bomber SPR-E mount:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-accush...ru-mount-f.html

After this next paycheck, I'll probably pick up a B-2 flipup rear sight, B-2 Modstock, and maybe that Bomber mount. All depends, I guess. :)

Sh!t, so much love... and I thought everyone would hate it! :P

I actually got the RAS from Airsoft Atlanta, as Evike is (unsurprisingly) out of stock.

The first paintjob was just on the lower receiver (sans grip) and stock. Rustoleum FDE with Krylon Camo khaki dusted over it. Ugly as sin. :(

I painted the outer barrel Krylon primer gray, then covered it. Removed the scope, PEQ, vert grip, and rail cover. I went over it with khaki and gray stripes, then did some thinner FDE, Army green, and OD stripes over the top of that. Dusted over it with some more gray, Krylon Camo dark brown, and khaki, and voila! That's just about it.

... well, not quite. I did some natural and artificial wear on it. If anyone recognized my vert grip, that's because it's from my G&P Shrike-alike (which I HEAVILY wore with a power drill + wire brush bit). I decided to not go so over-the-top this time around. Same tools, just less force applied when sanding. I also used all the controls quite a bit both in and out of combat to get a natural-looking wear pattern. Yes, the dirt in the flashhider is from a skirmish. :)

Archived