Battle-Worn Picture Thread

the biggest issue with 'natural' wear?

most folks dont have 60 years to spare naturally wearing an MP40 or thompson, nor are they lugging it around day in day out wind rain or shine for 6 months or more in a wartime environment..

sure a gun thats on regular armourer and arsenal rotations is going to look pretty spanky pretty often. But a lot of militaries dont work like that. In thse countries issued guns do get kicked around for years finally getting rotated back to an arsenal. There they might get a refurb, a crude refinish or they might just get cosmo'd and shoved into storage then sold to a third party and end up in hands of a less developed nation/guerillas/insurgents where needs will as needs must.

aksu83-2.jpg

aksu83-9.jpg

Ukranian forces AKSU at least 15 or 16 years old by time these photos were taken

84AKSU210.jpg

another AKSU with not untypical wear

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doh!

Holy 'I just posted these same pics on the page before but have reversed their order to confuse and amaze' Batman :P

j/k...I waited too long to go back and edit mine as well ;)

canyabelieve I wrote "Real Steal" and didn't catch it?? :rolleyes:

BTW, @ Whitedingo- That M14 is awesome bro! (and I had the word 'awesome' surgically removed from my vocabulary even!)

Edited by Guinness
Very Nice pics there Guinness but you owe me an the airsoft community another beautiful write up. :P Well off to go 'find' my AKSU in the Middle East. I'll post pis once Its done. Also IIRC Guinness, you need an AK to wear!

;) Waiting on a wood kit for my AK74 as we spea....write as it happens my brother :P

And as promised Parts IV and V are on their way- I just need some time and the right inspiration...now where is that pint glass anyway.... :unsure:

:rolleyes:

Slainte!

Guinness that M16 reminds me of that old informative comic with the guy and his taped together rifle. :P

Hmm, might try to redo that old spring Tokarev I have.

Edit: Must learn not to get distracted while posting. Maybe it won't take an additional ten minutes.

Edited by ChrisNorthInGer
Guinness here is a my worn look I MEAN OFF THE DEAD TERRORIST NAMED ACHMED.

100_0397-1.jpg

The markings engraved with his fingernails for his SN:

100_0407-1.jpg

100_0398.jpg

100_0408.jpg

100_0400.jpg

And a before pic:

000_0175.jpg

I apologise for the crappy lighting, background, and a bit of blurriness. As I am in the horrible fires in San Diego, so smoke effects everything and I can't go outside.

Doh!

Holy 'I just posted these same pics on the page before but have reversed their order to confuse and amaze' Batman :P

lol firefox fell on its *albatross* just as I hit submit post the first time came back into the thread later on and hadnt realised it actually got posted first time around :)

Guinness here is a my worn look I MEAN OFF THE DEAD TERRORIST NAMED ACHMED.

-Snip-

I apologise for the crappy lighting, background, and a bit of blurriness. As I am in the horrible fires in San Diego, so smoke effects everything and I can't go outside.

No worries- just make sure you stay outta danger! :o

And it might be a good idea to have an escape plan now, in case you have to flee with all those guns!! :( Save the guns man, save the guns! :P

personalizing your babies is pretty addictive huh?

@ snorkleman- Don't mind me, I'm just a jacka$$ ;) I will be using your stuff as a guide when I start work on my AK74 BTW, so if you have any more tips or images, bring 'em on!

Edited by Guinness
I honestly think the only way to make it look battle worn is to use it out and about and have fun, otherwise it can just look as though its been scratched up on purpose.

... or beat to hell in a real combat zone, which will NEVER happen with an airsoft weapon without some help. ;)

Edited by ardrummer292
But did the mp40 look like it was 60 years old when it was being used by the germans in ww2 ;-)

I see the point you have been trying to support- here is your answer:

Search 'US Army Iraq', or go to the US Army site, then the picture gallery-

Do some research and I'll bet you see a bunch of M4's/M16's/M249's, etc. that look like they are "60 years old" but are probably less than 10. Again, I see the point your clinging too- it's simply not true :D

Here are just two I found Here doing a quick search

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

...yikes I hope this settles this question :rolleyes:

Edited by Guinness
I see the point you have been trying to support- here is your answer:

Search 'US Army Iraq', or go to the US Army site, then the picture gallery-

Do some research and I'll bet you see a bunch of M4's/M16's/M249's, etc. that look like they are "60 years old" but are probably less than 10. Again, I see the point your clinging too- it's simply not true :D

I wasn't trying to make a point at all, hence the smilie face at the end. I'll still say that most "worn" guns look like someone attacked their m4 with sandpaper and nail varnish remover, although of course there are exceptions, such as yours.

Cheers.

I wasn't trying to make a point at all, hence the smilie face at the end. I'll still say that most "worn" guns look like someone attacked their m4 with sandpaper and nail varnish remover, although of course there are exceptions, such as yours.

Cheers.

Well I certainly agree with that :P

didn't mean to be a pi$$er :unsure:

;)

Well my guns are not to beat up, at least I don't think so. All but one of the guns has natural wear and tear, which is the Glock

The AUG is my oldest gun about 3 years old. The MP5 maybe one and a half.

Here is my Classic Army MP5

MP5-1.jpg

My old beat up Tokyo Marui Steyr AUG

Aug1.jpg

My two week old KWA Glock 17

Glock1.jpg

The title says gear also so here is my 1973 dated PRC-77 radio. It was originally repainted but I took that off and brought back the original paint (its pretty obvious why it was repainted). None of the wear is artificial. I just bought a vietnam Lightweight Rucksack so when I recieve that in the mail, the radio will be attached to the frame using a cargo shelf (which was common it Vietnam).

000_4592.jpg

No worries- just make sure you stay outta danger! :o

And it might be a good idea to have an escape plan now, in case you have to flee with all those guns!! :( Save the guns man, save the guns! :P

personalizing your babies is pretty addictive huh?

I will thanks ^_^ Luckily, well this is a pretty good thing, that is i'm surrounded by the fires. I live in the hill part of the the city of so its all around me. I stand my ground with my ak and shout " You fascist fires! Try to come take over the motherland" All with toting my worn AK around. And my escape play if I did have one is to pack all my guns in cases, and gear as well, so then UI can throw them in the car or truck. Man , it is addictive though to make em look worn. I think I might go now and throw my AK in the dirt or scrathc it up a bit more. :D

I think it may bear mentioning that the potential downside to all this 'battle hardening' of your guns is in the area of 'Resale Value'

I have done a few guns for friends that wanted the effect but didn't have the time or patience to do it themselves- However I wonder about it as some players don't seem to hold onto their guns long-term so I worry about their ability trade out a perfectly functioning but cosmetically worn weapon.

I'm a collector as well as a player, so I figure most of mine are 'perm collection' anyway- In large measure because I fear no one would want to pay for a 'veteran' M1 or whatever when they could have a nice fresh new one :rolleyes:

....Just something to think about before reaching for the hammer, file and sanding pad :P

Slainte!