Battle-Worn Picture Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the biggest issue with 'natural' wear?

most folks dont have 60 years to spare naturally wearing an MP40 or thompson, nor are they lugging it around day in day out wind rain or shine for 6 months or more in a wartime environment..

sure a gun thats on regular armourer and arsenal rotations is going to look pretty spanky pretty often. But a lot of militaries dont work like that. In thse countries issued guns do get kicked around for years finally getting rotated back to an arsenal. There they might get a refurb, a crude refinish or they might just get cosmo'd and shoved into storage then sold to a third party and end up in hands of a less developed nation/guerillas/insurgents where needs will as needs must.

aksu83-2.jpg

aksu83-9.jpg

Ukranian forces AKSU at least 15 or 16 years old by time these photos were taken

84AKSU210.jpg

another AKSU with not untypical wear

that is a beautiful gun you got there.

Question...

I messed-up my flash hider pretty good, in an attempt to remove it. (Unsuccessful...)

flashhiderwd5.jpg

What should I do? Is it too worn? Ok the way it is?

Should I repaint?

I was looking at painting the entire gun in a desert scheme, and some of that camo would cover this, but I'm afraid the wear might still be too much.

-Vic

Always repainting that dang thing. :P Another creative and professional paintjob from Souske.

Haha, yea, thanks.

Do you strip the paint before repainting Souske? If not how in the world do you not have a quarter inch of paint on there!?

Looks good, although I prefer the longer barrel M203 it still looks very nice.

Paint came off really easily (down to black layer). Took about 3 minutes with Acetone.

Thanks by the way.

yeah but now it can have a 10.5 barrel and be perfect

Like this??

Navy CQBR rendition (early generation version)

cqbrsideanglehk3.jpg

cqbrsideangleoppaj3.jpg

I have 2 sets of barrels (internal ones as well)...depending on where and how I'll be using the carbine.

Edit:

Victory, If you can get your hands on "cold blue solutions," you could blue the muzzle where the finish was worn off. Over time, the blue will wear off gradually, but it'll look a bit more 'natural' in terms of wear.

Edited by Souske
Question...

I messed-up my flash hider pretty good, in an attempt to remove it. (Unsuccessful...)

-

What should I do? Is it too worn? Ok the way it is?

Should I repaint?

I was looking at painting the entire gun in a desert scheme, and some of that camo would cover this, but I'm afraid the wear might still be too much.

-Vic

Depending on the material it's made out of, i've always wondered what heating up a flashhider with a blowtorch might do, especially with paint on. You could do the proposed desert paintjob then heat up the top half to red/white hot for a while, (simulating prolonged fire)... I dont know exactly what would happen, but seeing as you seem to think its *fruitcage*ed already ... ;D

Anyhow, i'd expect some interesting burnished patterns in the actual metal if it's a steel hider, having heated up a fair few things in my youth with a blowtorch ;D (boredom)

Has anyone tried this?

OH btw, this probably isnt safe with anything but some good old steel. at least at high enough temperature to cause colour change in the metal (though i guess you could try just burning off the paint a bit if its low quality metal.)

Does this sound interesting to anybody or am i just sad and crazed? :(

Btw Souske, another fine "authentic" style job, like it.

Thanks.

I didn't use much acetone this time. I pretty much sprayed the color on there, took a dishwashing scour pad and rubbed the heck out of it before the paint fully cured (so about 2 minutes+ after spraying). I then made a dark gray wash (diluted dark gray acrylic paint with water) and lathed the gun in it to give it the dirtied look in the end.

Thanks.

Not bad for 20 minutes with some 150 grit sandpaper. :P

Note: I used GIMP2 to add some grain the to photo and to de-saturate the colors a bit. Just in case anyone was wondering.

Anyone who can guess the caliber of the spent rifle casings and the ones in the stripper clip gets a internet cookie. ;)

And no slight meant to anyone with this post- clearly some people want the 'fresh-out-of-the-box' look- Maybe your afraid of 'ruining' it, or don't feel your creative or handy enough to pull it off- I don't know. Maybe you don't care to do the research required to see how real guns wear and look after years of use- again, I don't know...

All I can say is that I prefer my guns to look pristine. To me, weathered guns (weathered anything for that matter. That is, actually weathered) remind me of every time I was an idiot.

Say...and this is purely hypothetical, that I see a room of enemy soldiers that I could easily get the jump on. So I have my pistol out to really drive the point home, and as I jump out from the door way, my sling snaps off because I didn't secure it properly, and my gun clatters to the floor. Now there's a big scratch down the barrel because of my own idiocy.

You guys might be good enough to weather your guns -artificially- and have it look great, but people like me weather their stuff naturally through sheer stupidity xD.