Battle-Worn Picture Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, thanks guys. Didn't think feedback would be this great.

As for how I made the wash, I took some dark brown acrylic paint and diluted it a little with water. I then dipped my brush into the solution, then swabbed it over the areas of the gun. I then wiped off the excess with a paper towel, and then repeated a few times, allowing it to dry each time. Although it doesn't make the gun look much different on whole, it adds a bit of detail that's still noticeable.

More pictures in different lighting to show the wash effect.

sideanglegb5.jpg

receiverclosefrontvp9.jpg

oppreceivercloself8.jpg

selectorswitchuu4.jpg

rearangleoppjc0.jpg

Forgot to add pics of the M203 with the M4.

m4m203sideangleli3.jpg

And old school basics.

sideanglejr5.jpg

I was trying really hard to get that genuine/authentic SF carbine look.

Edited by Souske
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with ghost_x3. The wear locations are all wrong. Paint the lower receiver over and try again, as it is now, it just looks god-awful. :mellow:

As for finding proper wear locations, do some basic handling with your weapon. Keep mental notes of what regions of the rifle are most often touched by your hands or struck by the environment. The wear on the lower receiver on the left side of the magazine well looks okay, but everything else looks poor. Some parts of the rifle which would contact the environment (shell deflector, forward assist) look too clean for the amount of wear everywhere else. Go drag the rifle on the ground a bit.

Indeed, anodized aluminum is damned tough. Billy Bob, are you trying to go for a really worn rifle? I'd suggest applying a camouflage paintjob and then wearing that away. For the REALLY worn look, only paint the lower receiver. Make it look like it needed a replacement upper receiver at some point. ;)