Battle-Worn Picture Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey fingers what is that little tiny thing on top of your M4?

Also were you going for the Tears of the Sun flea m4 look, it reminds me of it, except the scope is the wrong one.

Also what scope is that?

I have a green laser in a CAA mount. The m4 is based of tears of sun and the scope is correct. The suppressor however is not.

link to scope http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ar4xbdcscwha.html

aaaaaaw2.jpg

back on with the pictures!

Edited by Fingers A.R.S.E.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ok so here's a painting/worn technique question. yesterday i was adding some final touches to my regular m4 stock for a project i'm working on. and lately i haven't been playing due to my schedule, and i've been mainly giving it more of an artificial worn look, which i mainly use a scotch brite pad and buff out some of the paint. and then for some reason i took my lighter and slowly passed it along the stock with added those dark fume burns which honestly made it look more worn.

i did it lightly so as to not necessarily burn the plastic which even amazingly is quite strong and sturdy, as well the paint too of course. so my question is has anyone ever tried this to give a certain part of their weapon those "dark touches"? i'll try and find a reference picture so that way you guys can get an idea of what i was trying to accomplish since my camera is down right now.

ya i know..this whole not being able to load up picture thing is making me mad. my main method was taking the pic with my camera, then uploading it on my phone which i would then e-mail to myself and then add to photobucket which in turn would post. so i'm gonna get that fixed and upload pics asap that way you guys can check it out and let me know what you think.

haha, ya it was a mouthful. basically the best reference i can think of would be Lord Sex's M4 silencer, and perhaps the m4 itself, how on the silencer it has those dark black spots, kinda like how you would see a weapon that's been exposed to nothing but heat and the sun and what not. thats kinda the look i have right now on some parts for my gun to help give you guys a mental picture when for when i use the lighter method.

nice work but you should weather the sidemount more. you've weathered around the dimple and the mount is far more raised so should be very worn indeed.

i'd also recommend going over everything that you've left un weathered with a scotch brite pad. they weather slowly and allow better control over the effects so you can easily thin the paintwork rather than remove it entirely (i used this technique on my AKS74, thinned all of the paint and silvered raised areas.

also a bit of a shame you weathered around the dimple as its actually slightly recessed and would therefore receive LESS wear. wouldnt look so bad if you wore down the rest of the reciever a bit though.

nice work but you should weather the sidemount more. you've weathered around the dimple and the mount is far more raised so should be very worn indeed.

i'd also recommend going over everything that you've left un weathered with a scotch brite pad. they weather slowly and allow better control over the effects so you can easily thin the paintwork rather than remove it entirely (i used this technique on my AKS74, thinned all of the paint and silvered raised areas.

also a bit of a shame you weathered around the dimple as its actually slightly recessed and would therefore receive LESS wear. wouldnt look so bad if you wore down the rest of the reciever a bit though.

I did use a Scotch-Brite pad. The dimples themselves aren't worn, the lips is. If you think about it, the lip is more likely to be worn than the flat areas since it is a edge. Now, if the actual recessed area was worn, that would be odd. The mount is worn, but you are right about it needing more. Scotch-Brite, here I come!

Pictures I used for reference:

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

example3.jpg

How do you guys give your guns the weathered look?

Any techniques?

Go buy some cheapo Scotch-Brite pads. They work better than sandpaper or steel wool, and work more slowly so that you can control the wear more. Read Guinness' guide about weathering metal, and find tons of photos for reference pictures!

Abuse.

Most of the replicas in here are artificially worn, not from regular abuse. The reality is that no matter how much you airsoft, you aren't patrolling for days on end. Your gun will never see the same amount of use, and won't ever get the same wear as a real one.

nahh . . . was jiving about the very roundabout way to get pics up ;)

makes me that much more eager to see the pics :P

Ok..finally got pictures up and downloaded..not to mention fixed the pix problem. so here is the stock that i did the weathering too as well as applied the lighter which would be the darker areas that might look like i dry brushed with black paint but of course didn't. comments suggestions are welcomed please.

PalmPIx065.jpg

PalmPIx066.jpg

PalmPIx067.jpg

PalmPIx068.jpg

PalmPIx069.jpg

PalmPIx070.jpg

h m m m . . . verry nice, indeed. i certainly like the shading off -- very hard to do well when dry brushing or using rags. :P

was expecting a bit of deep burning. you must have done it with a very light and sensitive touch. will an overlay of finishing coat keep the effect more or less permanent?

Not quite sure if an overlaying coat would do much, but i intend to keep it the way it is once it gets mounted on and gets more use. And yes I did do somewhat of a light touch with the lighter, i allowed it to blacken as much as possible, cool down for a second, and then wiped the black away with a napkin which then left the remaining dark spots. If you look at it in person it looks like its just been in the sun with a lot of sun damage added to it..like a bad sunburn i guess

Not quite sure if an overlaying coat would do much, but i intend to keep it the way it is once it gets mounted on and gets more use. And yes I did do somewhat of a light touch with the lighter, i allowed it to blacken as much as possible, cool down for a second, and then wiped the black away with a napkin which then left the remaining dark spots. If you look at it in person it looks like its just been in the sun with a lot of sun damage added to it..like a bad sunburn i guess

Wouldn't the sun fade the paint, not make it darker? Or did I miss something?

Good point..I never thought of that, but then again not quite sure. It really has to be seen in person to get somewhat of an idea. I'll see if i can find a reference photo of some sort.

Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome! I was just saying, from a purely realistic standpoint I think it would fade.