Battle-Worn Picture Thread

I like to weather my cheap springers-its a bunch of fun! I know what you mean, once you start weathering, you can't stop! Even with costuming for Halo, everything is burnt, scratched, or dirty!

It just looks so darn authentic.

Plus, how the hell would I get my AK-74, in which in its fictional background, it's been in every war since it was made!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hot stuff, M14. Loving the radio. :)

What he said :D

I keep looking at this image and thinking of Clooney's movie about the Gulf War...

"Are We Shooting ?" -Mark Wahlberg, 'Three Kings'

example2.jpg

**Because I'm often such a complete *albartroth* and don't fully engage my brain when I post, I feel I am remiss by not giving proper credit the brave servicemen and women whose images I'm using above- So here is all the credit fine print-

Spc. Jennie Baez, from the 47th Forward Support Battalion, Photograph by Lance Cpl. Clifton D. Sams, USMC

Spc. Thadeus McPheron, from the 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division, Photograph by Tech. Sgt. Jeremy T. Lock

All Photos Courtesy of U.S. Army

Edited by Guinness

Since gear falls into this i would like to point out that the pic that Guinness posted above me shows the Army Universal Camo in that wonderful rare form once its absorbed some dirt. Its like a nice splat of coyote brown was thrown at it, i wouldnt wear it any other way myself.

I wonder if we can order sand from the middle east to get our bdu's pre weathered???... haha

Edited by Azulsky

This is what an almost 60 year old Ak-47 Type 1 (first model produced) looks like after being used the entire time:

pa270020xg6.jpg

Some more Ak's.. amongst them a couple of Ak-47 Type 2's and the Type 1

pa270010be3.jpg

As you can see, most finish (Ak-47's were blued btw, later models parkerized then painted) is completly gone, yet it doesn't feature any heavy scratching or anything like that. You would see that more on the Paint over Park. models..

Another thing which bothers me about about "weathered" guns is that scuffs, marks and paint removal has been added (?, can you add something by taking something away?) to areas of the gun that do not make sense. For example,

example1.jpg

here we see wear on parts of the gun that get handled, or wear which is caused by the gun's operation. The dust cover is worn due to operation, the carry handle is worn due to being used, the forward assist and rear sight adjuster are worn, again, due to being used. The magazine is worn from being used. The same can be said for the charging handle, magazine release and delta ring. The reciever, however, is not scratched or badly chipped. Yeah, it has some minor blemishes, but it doesn't look like it was "dragged down the road behind a car (or something to that effect)."

A lot of "weathered" guns seem to have been worn in areas where that wear does not make much sense. People seem to think that worn guns need to hav the same treatment over the entire gun's surface, not just the areas wear the gun has been heavily used.

Edited by Gigueand
Another thing which bothers me about about "weathered" guns is that scuffs, marks and paint removal has been added (?, can you add something by taking something away?) to areas of the gun that do not make sense. For example,

A lot of "weathered" guns seem to have been worn in areas where that wear does not make much sense. People seem to think that worn guns need to hav the same treatment over the entire gun's surface, not just the areas wear the gun has been heavily used.

This is not directed at anyone personally, but I don't really understand why this has to be a debate, I think we are all pretty much saying the same thing, unless of course your position is "Weathering is bad...".

Why not just be completely direct and say "Some people have gone a bit 'round the bend on the effect" or "I don't like it" because we keep flogging this dead horse of 'wear is correct, scratches are not', yet for every point floated I seem to produce an example that contradicts it (i.e. the 249 is definitely both 'worn' and 'scratched'). We could fight on for hours about:

"the carry handle is worn due to being used, the forward assist and rear sight adjuster are worn, again, due to being used"

IMHO, that exposed steel on the front bend of the carry handle is scratched off from being hit, banged and dare I say it, drug across something? and the casing bulge? if those aren't 'scratches' that exposed the steel....come on :o Do we have to define the word 'scratch'? I'll give you the forward assist and the eject port, clearly caused by someones big ol thumb and the opening and closing of the port cover-

Whats the point anyway- We could say the exact same thing about the painting techniques of tiger-striping or painting a gun tan etc, some people dig it, some do not....who cares? are we going to enter into the same argument about whether or not that is correct? I hope not.

In statistics all you need it one example to prove existence of a type, meaning in all the universe of gun-dom :P there only needs to be one real-steel weapon with these evil, inaccurate 'scratches' on the planet for it to be perfectly acceptable for someone else to do it to their Airsoft replica. For convenience sake, I'll just point to Snorklemans real-steel AK's pictured a page back- scratched- case closed :P

I am confident that I have established that fact.

Is it wide-spread? Is it common? again, who cares.

If you don't like something then sack up and say "Meh, it's not for me but cheers for making something you like" or "I think you over did it" instead of trying to debate something that ends up being personal preference and in fact has been proven otherwise.

I agree that some of the examples are a bit overdone, but who am I to throw stones? The Gun scratch am wrong police? :rolleyes: I applaud their creativity and work even if I don't personally think its the best representation of reality- look through the painted weapons thread for a ton of examples of all that

...I'll shut up now :P

moar pictures!!!

Edited by Guinness

Yeah, that still beats mine. Looks amazing, LS.

*EDIT*

Re: Scratching and whatnot

Honestly, my PMC/Civ SF impression calls for some battle-hardened guns. Or so they appear. :P

Who knows, maybe said PMC had to drag his rifle behind a car for reasons OPSEC. Or perhaps it got dropped out the back of a chopper. Or was worn in odd places from the random gun strike in CQB. Or any number of other peculiar things that happen in combat...

Doesn't really matter, to be honest. I like the look, fits my loadout, and looks the sechs (in my opinion ;) ). Well put, Guinness. Next round is on me. :D

Edited by ardrummer292

Doesn't look bad actually. You could expand and smoothen the "wear" on the receiver cover a bit. At least I found that it's where the first signs of wear on the receiver come. The top of the receiver cover is usually also pretty worn.

And yes, they attracted rust. Don't dare to calculate the hours I spent oiling and sweeping mine before the final hand-out. :(

Excellent work Lapin croquant!

One tiny tip though (that's what she said BTW :P ),

If it were me, I'd go over the grip, and foregrips with a fine sandpaper to smooth out the gouges- They look good, don't get me wrong, but they look a little too 'fresh' and new to be caused by use-

Hit them with a sanding block, then go over them a bit with an acrylic paint wash of dark brown and those bits should look like the worn-in beat up AK wood that you are looking for!

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness