Battle-Worn Picture Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, wow, I just looked back and saw Souske's cm.028, it's gorgeous! How'd he get it to look like that? Coat it in matte black first or something?

Thanks, lol. I sprayed the gun (sans the 'wood' parts) dark gray. I then used a combination of light gray and silver to drybrush the plastic parts for the worn look. The key is to make the wear look even.

He is a god among men. Discussion over.

Haha...right.....

Actually, when it comes to 'wearing' things down, a lot of it is procedural.

A slight update. After seeing some pictures of a few 7th SFG carbines...I decided to 'up' the wear.

Before:

receivercloseqw1.jpg

After: It's a bit much, but it's looking the part.

sideqo5.jpg

sideanglejq0.jpg

sideoppgy4.jpg

sideoppanglefe6.jpg

Wear usually comes from paint chipping off, solvents (such as gun oil) rubbing off paint as well, and a few scratches. The challenge was to make the wear look as if it came from the elements I just described.

Edited by Souske

Haha, speaking of which, I'm reminded of reading somewhere that someone referred his M16 "not as an assault rifle, but Jihadi paradise-attainment facilitator."

Good job Souske.

Personally I feel the rifle looks much better with the extra wear.

It looks like its seen its fair share of action :P

When you originally painted it did you use any brown or was it just khaki?

Thanks chris. I started with Krylon Khaki, then I dusted Krylon Saddle Brown over it. It was the closest thing to medium brown I could find. After that, I made a brown wash solution and applied it on there, then a black/dark gray solution and repeated.

Edit: I'm trying to get some new pictures up soon in better lighting of the complete gun.

Edited by Souske
Haha, speaking of which, I'm reminded of reading somewhere that someone referred his M16 "not as an assault rifle, but Jihadi paradise-attainment facilitator."

Thanks chris. I started with Krylon Khaki, then I dusted Krylon Saddle Brown over it. It was the closest thing to medium brown I could find. After that, I made a brown wash solution and applied it on there, then a black/dark gray solution and repeated.

Wow!

Thanks Souske,

I thought you were just going to say you hadnt used khaki :P

Once again im amazed at your dedication and attention to detail.

I was thinking to myself, "cool, if I just use some khaki I could achieve that look" what a fool I am :D

In regard to your Jihadi paradise attainment facilitator have a look at this!

Silver Bullet Gun Oil

Some crazy *beep* right there!

Edited by chris u'5
Wow!

Thanks Souske,

I thought you were just going to say you hadnt used khaki :P

Once again im amazed at your dedication and attention to detail.

I was thinking to myself, "cool, if I just use some khaki I could achieve that look" what a fool I am :D

In regard to your Jihadi paradise attainment facilitator have a look at this!

Silver Bullet Gun Oil

Some crazy *beep* right there!

"Contains 13% Pig Fat."

ROFL.

Thanks though Chris. I didn't do any magic to achieve the worn look. If you have any other questions, just PM me.

Alright, I decided to put some more work into my AK47. I was generally happy at the mild wear, but I then realized it was missing a key component: Rust. This was achieved by making brown wash and applying it through out the gun. The key was not to over do it and put it in places where it would most likely occur in crevices, etc. I'm fairly surprised at how well it turned out...as I've never done anything like this before. To those who aren't familiar with my AK, it's a stock CYMA CM028 with the plastic body, etc.

p1010239dn9.jpg

p1010240oj2.jpg

p1010241jv5.jpg

p1010244pc9.jpg

p1010245sg1.jpg

p1010246up0.jpg

p1010247qm4.jpg

p1010272yf4.jpg

p1010281ka2.jpg

p1010282qo0.jpg

Edited by Souske