I love AK's.

I love AK's with skeleton stocks more.

I love AK's with skeleton stocks and polymer furniture even more.

Dboys' latest release came as a pleasurable surprise and I eagerly awaited its arrival following the story on Airsoft News.

Within 24 hours of hearing availability, I purchased it from RSOV and had it in my hands 2 days later. A small side note, this was my first experience with RSOV and I have to say their efficiency blew me away. Although the shipping cost more than the gun, I now have it for use this weekend, which is certainly worth it.

Back to the gun though!

I have heard mixed reviews about Chinese packaging through various forums and from various players. Taking off the paper from the package, I was greeted by a pleasant looking package that resembled my VFC box.

HPIM1522.jpg

HPIM1524.jpg

HPIM1525.jpg

HPIM1526.jpg

But who buys a gun for packaging?

Inside was the rifle, a cleaning rod, a charger, a stick battery, and a manual. The manual shows pictures inside from the VFC website (so I assume it's a copy) and includes instructions for both the AKS-74UN and the AKS-74N. Strange.

The sling is an incorrect color (looks like a Bulgarian one I own) and is a bit darker than it should be. Regardless, it's functional and made of a nice material which I would trust in the field.

The battery is an 8.4v 1100mAh, but I haven't charged it; I have 10.8v and 9.6v batteries so I don't see why I would ever even bother trying to use it.

These accessories are nice, but really unimportant when compared to the real product:

HPIM1511.jpg

Externally, the rifle is nothing short of beautiful. I already had a VFC and an ICS in my collection, and the Dboys falls in between, certainly closer to the VFC:

HPIM1510.jpg

The receiver in comparison to the VFC has the same trademarks, rivets, and welding scars. The only complaint is that the welding scars aren't completely circular like on the VFC and ICS, but this really isn't a serious concern:

HPIM1515.jpg

HPIM1512.jpg

HPIM1517.jpg

I have 3 complaints with the externals. First, hand guards and pistol grip both have a seam running down them which is more prominent than either of my other guns. You can't feel it, but you can see it.

HPIM1513.jpg

Second, there is an usual welding mark on the stock which isn't present on my AKS-74UN. Maybe this is accurate for the AKS-74N, but I noticed it when comparing the two:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g178/krumpken/HPIM1520.jpg

Third, the muzzle break is all flat in color. This is a product of painting though (it comes without an orange tip!) so it really isn't a legitimate complaint.

Two final points about the exterior of the rifle (well, relevant to the exterior...).

THE RIFLE IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER MAGAZINES IN ITS STOCK FORM. I typed that in caps so it would get your attention and I think this is a valid concern. If the manufacturers are indeed reading our feed back, you would think that this point would be of chief concern... In order to fix the problem, I imagine I will have to file off some of the mag catch so my magazines lock in place. When I do the fix, I will try to update the review so I can recommend what to do.

Last, the scope mount is the correct size! Neither my VFC or ICS have the correct sized rail, so this is a nice relief (I find it rather ironic that the scope used in the pictures is more than twice the sot of the rifle...).

The rifle has neither been chronoed or fielded yet, and so I can't comment too much on it's technical performance. I put in the 10.8v battery and it fired with a good chrisp sound and nice ROF, beyond that I can't really say anything.

This weekend I am attending a two day game, so I will be able to detail its performance.

To conclude this review, the rifle is well worth the 170 some dollars I paid for it with shipping. The rifle in my eyes is far superior to my ICS, but falls just short of being on par with the VFC. That statement really does the gun injustice; as far as I'm concerned, the VFC finish overall is flawless, so I wouldn't expect the same of the DBoys. It still does a great job though so as long as the gearbox doesn't explode, I would highly recommend it.

Edited by neoptolemus
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good review! I never expected it to be really on par with VFC on external flawlessness but it was expected. I'm still getting one! :D But I think I'll wait for the full stock one and wood if dboy does decide to sell wood versions.

What are the grips and stock made of? I would say nylon because dboy uses that alot. In some pics it looks like Styrofoam, lol. And the seams....hmmm... "you can't feel them but you can see them...?" ..... doesn't make much sense....?

Still good review!! Probably the most anticipated airsoft review in my life!

edit:

yes, vid!! I would love to hear the bolt and the sound of the metal clanking around... if you do decide to do one could you make it like this?;

</a>

:D

Edited by Revenge Seeker

nice review and good turn around there from RSOV :)

fix for the maglatch is same as for the AKSU version - either replace with a latch from another manufacturer or mill/file around 1.3mm to 2mm off the latch (take a mm off to start with then keep refitting and checking till you hit the sweet spot)

In either case you'll either lose use of the supplied dBoys mag or need to pad the rear lip on it to bring it in line with the rest of your mags after carrying out the latch mod (didnt really fuss me as it was a high cap anyway hehe)

84AKSU211.jpg

if thats the stock weld you mean its typical of russian sidefolders (both tula AKSU stocks and Izy AKS stocks have the heavy welds) Muzzle breaks tend to be flat black coated (albeit with hard chromed internal)

I know what you mean about the seam on the handguards and pistol grip visible but not particularly 'feelable' - their AKSU has the same on its pistol grip

Is there actually any hint of plum on the furniture or is it just not showing up on the photos? from the photos it actually looks more like the black polymer furniture that came with my old Izy Yunkers 3 (the AK 105 styled air-rifle)

One thing to watch out for is whether the front sight post is loose n rattly in its barrel as per their AKSU (bit o loctite or a wrap of PTFE on its threads should hold it)

Edited by snorkelman
Is there actually any hint of plum on the furniture or is it just not showing up on the photos? from the photos it actually looks more like the black polymer furniture that came with my old Izy Yunkers 3 (the AK 105 styled air-rifle)

I think if you look very closely you'll see some pics do look a bit "plum-ish"... like this one... concentrate..... :D

HPIM1511.jpg

Or it could just be me...

Sorry, I really can't comment on the grip color.

I happen to be color blind!

That's so unfortunate... now we will never know what color they are! lol seriously, why won't you tell us? :(

Its actually something everyone wants to confirm; whether they are really plum or not...

can't u just replace the trigger guard/mag catch with like a King Arms one...?

Aye but not much point - the trigger guard itself is riveted onto the lower reciever rather than screwed on, so you'ld really just be swapping mag catch levers over - having gone to the hassle of taking the old one out you might as well run over it with a file to bring it down to size and refit rather than replacing it with another one (when same effort is required to refit one as it is to fit a new one).

Indeed its probably not not too hard to file the original one down while still in situ, without having to remove it at all (wee bit more awkward to file but no strugglign trying to fit it and its spring back into place).

Brief action report from game, not too much because I am very tired.

The gun chronoed at 399-400+ with .2's without any hop up. When I first fired, no matter how I adjusted the hop up it didn't seem to have an effect. In the past, I've heard that the Chinese get lubricant on the hop up rubber which neutralizes its performance. After a couple of magazines, hop up adjustment seemed to have an effect and I am pleased to say it is the best shooting gun I own. ROF is comparable to VFC and power is even better; accuracy wise it is ok, but I think that's because of the hop issue. Hopefully if I go through a couple more magazines I will see the hop up settle.

When the gun was firing with hop up active, it chronoed at 360 with .25's.

One final note, a friend who was fiddling with the gun managed to snap the lever that allows the upper handguard to be released. Do any of you have suggestions on replacing it? It's perhaps the most negligible part on the gun, but it disappoints me he broke it on its first day.

More later this week, and some photos too!

aye hop on mine was filthy with lube (around third of the length of the barrel too) Theres a fair amount of greasy ###### inside the cylinder I cleaned that out when I had the gearbox down along with hop and inner barrel but if you cant be botheed with hassle of stripping the box then expect a few barrel and hop cleans while it shoots itself out over a few thousand rounds.

far as the upper handguard lever goes swap with real deal one? (might take a bt of modding depending on how close the cam is to real spec)