• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh yea I know, I actually just gave the camera to my friend as he needs it for a project but I should have it back today or so. Don't worry pictures will come :)

Is there anything in particular you want to see?

Not really, I would really like to see a vid of it though. :D . Wanna hear the metal clanking sounds.

I've got a STAR GP30 on the way but according to neoptolemus, its not going to fit like real steel. You need longer screws for the adaptor to fit onto the gas tube I believe? I'm sure he can explain that more clearly. I have seen several pictures of the CA GP30 on AK74s though so perhaps they fit on just fine.

Wasn't the first prototype pic of the Dboy AKS74 showed it equipped with a gp30? Here: http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/ac...i_ak74_2809.jpg

It would be nice to have it fitted; I wouldn't mind a gp40 on mines when I get it. Oh and I'm thinking polymer, wood is smexy but I'm more of a modern guy.

Heres quick picture for you guys with the STAR GP30 installed. Like neoptolemus said, it doesn't fit on correctly though I didn't use the longer screws trick. With help from Plastic Mag I just set the mounts forward abit. Doesn't look 100% but it works. Though unfortunately I don't think you'd be able to use the quick disconnect feature this way. If you are in the market for one, I'd suggest get the CA (if it fits correctly, believe it does) or wait for the VFC or kalash copy.

Wish I knew the STAR didn't fit beforehand but I found that out a few days too late after I paid for it. Oh well, still makes the rifle look alot nicer!

More photos Monday and perhaps a video.

Picture0021.jpg

Edited by EvilCookie

Pretty slick, especially compared to what I paid for my VFC. I've got a Dboys AKSU inbound from Ehobby, so I'll probably post my own write-up in a few days.

I, personally, had trouble getting a good sight picture with the folding stock AK's in all but the brightest daylight, and a pair of East German night sights helped a lot. They give you two really big dots to line up, which is a lot of help even when it's daytime, particularly for snap shooting. It might be worth a try in the future, if you're interested.

Edit: grammar

Edited by Johnny Sasaki

Hmm I'm not having trouble with the sites so far but I can see how one could as they are a bit low profile, but thanks for the tip.

Here are a few more photos guys. They are with the GP30 attached as I didn't want to take it off. Don't mind the bit of orange still on it, havn't taken it all off yet. I'm also going to need to repaint it anyways as bits of the black paint has come off as well.

AK01.jpg

AK02.jpg

AK03.jpg

AK04.jpg

Now some close ups

AK05.jpg

AK09.jpg

You can see the crappiest part of the rifle here, the outer barrel. Its made from cheapo metal and scratches quite easily. Too bad they didn't just make it out of steel but I guess you can't have everything for the price.

AK06.jpg

AK10.jpg

The wood IMO doesn't look bad at all. I've been pondering staining it, but we'll see if I get to that.

AK07.jpg

AK11.jpg

The receiver is quite nice and PSO-1 optics fits on like a glove. Though you can see the battery a bit.

AK08.jpg

AK12.jpg

The stock locks solidly on mine and the button you depress to fold has become easier to use.

I havn't gotten a chance to skirmish the rifle yet because my russian gear has not arrived so no field reports. Shooting in the backyard shows it has a good ROF with the 9.6 1400 mah battery I'm using. The accuracy isn't the best but it definately isn't bad at all. I will eventually get to replacing the stock inner barrel and hope up rubber sometime in the future. Also keep in mind that this rifle weighs a considerable amount. With the added scope or GP30 (or both if are a kook!) it makes it quite heavy but nothing unbearable. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to do these things.

If theres anything else you guys need photoed or commenting on, just ask.

Looks good :)

black heat shrink for the batteries allways work wonders buy a length from cheap battery packs etc slide it on the stick battery and then pop it in front of a hot air heater to shrink it on tight. if gearbox and barrel assembly are sames as on the AKSU there'll be all sorts of black gunk inside the cylinder that gets shot out into the barrel

You can either strip it down clean all the ###### out or just shoot it thru over the course of a few thousand BBs if you'ld rather not delve inside

Edited by snorkelman

Heh more good ideas from the AK clone God himself.

:D

NP RS!

Oh I forgot to add something. I did have a problem with my AK late last week. While shooting the gears started grinding and not catching. Upon taking off the grip and motor assembly I found it was the pinion gear causing the problem. I just tightened back on and applied threadlock onto the allen screw as well as adjusted the motor height a bit. Everything seems to be fine now.

Over all I'm pretty impressed with the kalash version of this AKS-74 and quite happy I didn't have to spend the extra cash for the VFC. I'm looking forward to their release of the AK-74m which should be next if they are going to continue releasing in the order shown on the box.

Edited by EvilCookie

you're welcome one last tip I seem to remeber a couple of folks commenting that the catch on the sling isnt very strong (the sling mounts on the gun are OK) might be worth changing the sling catch for one thats a bit more substantial before skirmishing it (esp with the extra weight of the launcher on the front)

And it does!

Wood furniture is 100% tight, no movement. Same goes for folding stock.

Front sight was twisted slightly to the right (when seen from the front), from screwing on the very tight flash hider at the factory I guess, so I had to twist the sight a little to the left again. Seems the pins aren't holding the front sight in place properly, but it still fits very tightly, had to use some serious force to twist it.

387 fps avg. Gearbox sounds smooth.

MAG magazines are a tight fit, but feed perfectly.

Me = happy camper so far!