Yeah, forget about the original charging handle, it doesn't have enough contact surface with the bolt to re-attach it. Better find some alternative solution. But hey, it's not vital to the function of the gun, and it's a $100 AEG; I know I'm not losing any sleep over mine. Now, had it been a VFC, I'd be sad. :P

If my VFC one broke i would be ######, i've ordered a new one for my dboys which im going to attempt to make more secure. Its a vital part for me, i like charging my gun before firing :)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quick questions for all of you Dboys AKS owners out there. first, how easy is it to remove and replace the pins holding the front end on? are they designed to be easily removable or are they meant to be permenant? and second, for you folk with the wood furniture, is the wood solid or laminated?

quick questions for all of you Dboys AKS owners out there. first, how easy is it to remove and replace the pins holding the front end on? are they designed to be easily removable or are they meant to be permenant? and second, for you folk with the wood furniture, is the wood solid or laminated?

Pins can be punched out. Wood is solid.

On the AKSU the barrel is a tight fit in the trunnion even with the pin removed If you're looking to have someone break it down into component chunks for shipping have them scribe an indexing mark on the mating surfaces of the outer barrel and front trunnion (ie where the two meet looking at the gun from the muzzle end) will make realignment of the barrel and its trunnion a lot easier (otherwise your going to have to start rotating one in relation to the other to get the pins groove realigned and like I say the two parts are a tight interference fit that wont give much scope for rotating even with a bit of grease applied to them)

to be honst russian style wood laminate is a lot more expenive to produce in small quantites than just solid blocks(esp for manufacs more used to injection moulding and diecasting plastics and alloys) Even VFC and Inokatsu dont tend to make it to the same degree that the russians did (far less individual layers etc)

Personally Id buy the one with the polymer handguard - if the price difference between the 02 and the 03 is same as it used to be then gives you 15 dollars towards a real wood set and the chance to switch between the two options whenever you fancy.

I am thinking about buying the polymer furniture AKS-74N, and I wonder what all you owners of the gun chrono the gun at? For example, som say its closer to 400fps, UNCOmpany reports it to 350fps, and chaoslord here says his gun only fires at 300fps. I want this gun but i seriously want a decent fps one out of the box, and if there is a fair chance that I'd get a 300fps example I don't know if want to risk buying it. So basically, what are the odds? :)

cheers snorkelman.

buying the polymer version and just replacing the handguards with RS wood was my plan. IMO if you're going to have wood you may as well only bother having laminated on an AK, it just doesnt look right otherwise.

so is the barrel pinned to the reciever? i wasnt going to go as far as removing the barrel from the rear sight block, i was just going to have the gun split into two pieces by removing the main pin the in the rear sight block, or would that be impossible due to more pins etc?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi. just bought this thing (waiting to be shipped to be exact),

just want to ask some question. if i want to make a Plummeted Paintjob, what combination of color should i mix?

and it happens that neither of my friends have an airbrush compressor, so maybe i will do some spray painting (maybe using krylon).

thanks

hi. just bought this thing (waiting to be shipped to be exact),

just want to ask some question. if i want to make a Plummeted Paintjob, what combination of color should i mix?

and it happens that neither of my friends have an airbrush compressor, so maybe i will do some spray painting (maybe using krylon).

thanks

IMG_1012copy.jpg

My Cyma plum job, done with a coat of Krylon Burgundy flat, then progressively touched up with Krylon camo brown and black.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i love mine.

Me too! :D

1-7.jpg

Notice the finish is different from the one in the original post. Apparently, from what was said in the AK picture thread, Dboys changed their finish due to some noobed suggestions on the finishing. It now resembles an ICS or CA AK rather than a VFC's.

Shooting it is sweet. I'm so used to shooting TMs that the tad extra recoil and metal clank sound from the loose bolt with huge increase in sound makes shooting this so awesome! The sound when firing is also very suppressed like.

Only real flaw is the bolt. Its rather loose and got stuck alot out of the box. But nothing a little silicone can't fix. But its still loose. Stock is also a little wobbly but that's only if you apply alot of force on it.

STAR mags work with mines. Great relief. I wonder if the new versions have the whole mag issue fixed.

Overall, 9/10 for me.

Edited by Revenge Seeker