A-Team

renegadecow

Yup, my brains finally fried. Or just burnt out since it has fried up more than once before.

Had nothing to do as while watching some vids on youtube when I stumbled on the A-Team intro. 5 minutes later and I've just placed an order for a CYMA M14. Its a long way to convert an M14 into a mini 14, and even longer to convert it into whatever hell it is that Hannibal and the rest of the crew used. What I need is some technical help to speed things up.

Judging from vids, I'm sure that they used a Ruger Mini-14/GB-F with the barrel length and front sights giving it away. But world.guns.ru specifically states that these are semi-auto only, and that the only ones with full-auto are the Ruger AC556F. I know that no amount of bump firing can achieve the ways in which the A-Team mow down the baddies, so it must be a full auto version, if not a modified one. I just really need to know. Also, I need good quality images of the A-Team gun in use by any one of the cast to make perfectly sure that they did use mini 14s (although I'm pretty sure enough that they do, its just the specific model I'm being OC about)

Ruger Mini-14/GB-F

mini14gb-f.jpg

Notice it doesn't have a fire selector. Don't know if the TV series didn't have one either.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Wikipedia :

"In early episodes the team used M16 rifles, while in later episodes they used the Ruger Mini-14s modified with pin-on flash suppressors to hide the Hollywood blank-firing adaptor. Fully automatic fire was simulated by dubbing sound effects onto the action sequence. Hannibal is also seen using an M60 machine gun in some episodes."

Ahh the A Team, I really miss it. I bought a box set a while back to bring back the old memories, I also managed to get the soundtrack on LP.

My current passion for guns of all shapes and sizes can be traced directly back to my childhood days watching the A Team...brilliant!!

Good luck with the project, I will follow you around and do the full auto sound effects if you want? (as long as I get a go on the gun) :lol:

Awww man. That kind of sucks. So to be realistic, I have to make a mini 14s, semi-auto only, and voice dub the full auto myself? "Bratatatatat! I'm from the A-Team yo!"

Lol, I know...

After doing a bit of research (I'm a big fan myself), I found many sites listing that they use an automatic version of the AC556, but as there's no selector on the weapons, I'd go for the Wiki explanation.

I couldn't find many pics, or at least some where you can really see the rifle :

<a href="http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1060/12608-0012.jpg" target="_blank">http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Mptv/1060/12608-0012.jpg</a>

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/macguyveri/ateam/acara09.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.geocities.com/macguyveri/ateam/acara09.jpg</a>

You can find a list on <a href="http://ateamcanon.livejournal.com/" target="_blank">http://ateamcanon.livejournal.com/</a>

then scroll down to : The A-Team Guns

The Badger thinks this may be a bad idea for a skirmish weapon, hes watched countless hours of Ateam and has yet to actually see anyone get shot by the rugger. Usually they seem to cause people to run for cover or give up which may work as well, but the badger would rather at least have the option of hitting people....

Thanks for the picture links. ^_^

Ok, from the different pics I've been seeing, they've invariably switched between the Ruger Mini-14/GB-F and the AC556F. I'm a little reluctant on having the entire action of the gun repainted silver as I'd want to revert to the original M14 if need be, not to mention its not the most tactical of colors. So, I've decided to merge the two guns: The full length barrel of the GB-F but with the black finish and fire selector of the AC556F.

For technical detail: (in case anyone else wants to make his/her own A-Team gun)

Stock

-I'll be using a steel tube for the stock and probably molded PVC for the butt plate. Although I'm thinking of making the tube out of PVC as well to keep things light so's I can still roll around in the dirt quickly.

Body

-carved entirely from wood, 3 planks of 2/3" Pine sandwiched together.

Barrel

-again, don't want to chop the existing barrel, but the whole thing is easy enough to replace and the tube diameter is easily sourced (16mm, same as an AK barrel)

Magazine

-this is relatively easy as M16 mags already have their feeding holes lined up. I just need to grind a notch at the front and stick on some material at the back for the mag release to hold on to. Probably will be screwing/riveting this on for durability.

Pistol grip

-I've lined up the motor of the V7 gearbox and its pretty much concealed. No need to adjust dimensions. I will have a problem looking for a grip like the Rugers though. It looks like an M16 but it isn't. Last resort would be to make one from scratch out of wood or fiberglass.

I was thinking of doing this as a project- I reckon you should fit the battery in the stock as a stick battery (unless theres space in the wood parts). I also think an aksu grip with a little modification would serve fantistically as the pistol grip.

Let us know how it goes,

matt

Excellent project and I wish you all the luck in the world!

First, don't let the OC get to you. The A-Team guns switched frequently based on whatever the makers had. There are episodes where they used black AC556's as weapons on vehicles. They're hard to catch, but it did happen.

Second, the selector is not necessarily always the same. I figure that they had to use whatever they had. This applies like above. They used whatever they had in the end. There were obvious switches between parts and guns. AC556's also have different versions so even they can fluctuate.

Early on they used what appears to be Ruger 22 heatshields that were all stainless. In later shows they used the standard black heatshields.

What I'm getting at is the main thing that didn't change was the stainless folding stock and length of barrel. The rest is just whatever they could do. So to be realisitic, I'd use whatever floats your boat.

They did use M16's through the 1st season as well as Hannibal's M60 "Baby." Baby made some appearances throughout the show, but never as well loved as the 1st season.

Here's a little inspiration...(and a way to brag and show off!) Expect lots of questions and PM's from me when you're done too!

100_0994.jpg

Good luck,

Hannibal

The Badger thinks this may be a bad idea for a skirmish weapon, hes watched countless hours of Ateam and has yet to actually see anyone get shot by the rugger. Usually they seem to cause people to run for cover or give up which may work as well, but the badger would rather at least have the option of hitting people....

LOL, I was saying to someone at a skirmish that I'd like the A-Team Mini-14 and they said the same thing :P:D

4th on the list :

<a href="http://www.endoshoji.com/classic/page014.html" target="_blank">http://www.endoshoji.com/classic/page014.html</a>

An old single bolt action from Maruzen. Not the best looking though...

No doubt. I don't think I could get into all the things wrong with that one. It could be the reasons why it's been on there so long. Other than I don't think Endo updates their stock very often on those items. I comtemplated that one for ages as I thought I could work on it, but I couldn't bring myself to buying it.

Everyone says the same thing about the A-Team and I agree. You will only be able to hit targets around your actual intended target, but you'll have lots of fun in the process. Plus, you will eventually win in the end. You just won't have to kill anyone. ;)

Although it isn't entirely accurate, I wonder if you could put M14 guts in something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0012777227293a

I love The A-Team. Does anybody else remember the episode where the bad guys were armed with NFA-compliant Uzi Carbines (w/ the 16" barrel)?

Although it isn't entirely accurate, I wonder if you could put M14 guts in something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0012777227293a

I love The A-Team. Does anybody else remember the episode where the bad guys were armed with NFA-compliant Uzi Carbines (w/ the 16" barrel)?

It's very doubtful you could get the internals into that. I have tried unsuccessfully to shove m14 internals into a mini 14 body. The body is just simply too small and narrow to get the internals into. It COULD be done though with a LOT of work, however it will not be easy. This idea has been brought up by quite a few and most never report back on how it turned out. I wish anyone all the luck with it though.

I certainly remember the episode you speak of. This may be the same episode when the team went to another country to film a movie and get caught up with recycled bad guys. They used AUG's actually that they stole from the baddies and I also believe they had the Uzi carbines. However I don't believe that's the only episode that they used those uzi carbines in. I think they recycled a lot of guns on that show like they did bad guys. Did anyone ever notice how many bad guys made the rounds on 80's TV shows? Each one took a turn on every action show around. Do you think they took out a want ad out for that???

Wanted: Bad Guy to make rounds on every popular 80's TV show. You will get caught or die in every episode, but your job security is assured as you will just move on to another show. Once you've made the rounds, you'll start over at the beginning again as a different character. :P

4th on the list :

http://www.endoshoji.com/classic/page014.html

An old single bolt action from Maruzen. Not the best looking though...

Fourth one down: http://endoshoji.com/classic/page014.html

http://endoshoji.com/classic/img080.jpg

post for one I am sure someone can sell you one...

Just a tad bit late... ;)

Why not use a EBR 14 as a base instead of a M14?

Pistol grip is similar, and you can probably hack up the stock to fold instead of sliter.

You'd have to figure out how to get a wood grain on it, but that seems easier then the alternatives.

Why not use a EBR 14 as a base instead of a M14?

Pistol grip is similar, and you can probably hack up the stock to fold instead of sliter.

You'd have to figure out how to get a wood grain on it, but that seems easier then the alternatives.

This is the option I'm looking at myself until someone comes up with a better one. I just picked up a Star Sopmod to get a feel for what it might need. This option will still require a LOT of work to get it done up right.

I think the OP was going to create his own stock from wood. This is really the best option if a person knew how to do it or could have it done. I looked into this option before as well, but I had trouble locating help with it. I certainly don't have the skills or tools required for that kind of a job.

Why can't the damn airsoft gods tell the frickin' airsoft makers to make it already? ;)

Right, so using a real mini-14 or airsoft version would be out for me. Too much work, that is IF the V7 gearbox would even fit in the first place. Not to mention it costs $300 (w/ shipping)

The EBR would definitely help with the grip and stock. But HannibalSmith77 is correct in assuming I'm making the new stock from scratch.

As for an update on the A-Team mini 14 project, I've just crossed out the magazine on the "to do" list:

100_0395.jpg

100_0398.jpg

mag.jpg

I didn't paint the modified parts yet so's you guys can see just what needs to be done. Basically I just cut out a rectangular sheet and made it fit over the feed hole of the M4 magazine and applied massive amount of ca glue. This is necessary as the M14 mag sits flush against the magwell. The front part has been ground down (shining white on 2nd pic) to take the front clasp. I then glued a block of plastic at the back for the mag latch and shaped it. The mag catch isn't secured to the body of the magazine itself as its rugged enough to just be glued to the other blue parts, that and it makes for easier disassembly of the magazine in case of jams. As of now, it feeds fine, but has some side to side movement. The only way I can remedy this is when I make the new stock and adjust the magwells width accordingly.

Dude I SOOOOOO want to do this.

Here is what I would do.

Obviously cut down the front end. then get a wood stock and cut it off so its only a block. Like no grip. Then once it square at the end, attach another square block of wood to make it longer [like mini 14]. Then get an AK 74 grip and cut off the top a bit [RS of course] at an angle, then just shove a screw right through and whala!

Right, so using a real mini-14 or airsoft version would be out for me. Too much work, that is IF the V7 gearbox would even fit in the first place. Not to mention it costs $300 (w/ shipping)

The EBR would definitely help with the grip and stock. But HannibalSmith77 is correct in assuming I'm making the new stock from scratch.

As for an update on the A-Team mini 14 project, I've just crossed out the magazine on the "to do" list:

I didn't paint the modified parts yet so's you guys can see just what needs to be done. Basically I just cut out a rectangular sheet and made it fit over the feed hole of the M4 magazine and applied massive amount of ca glue. This is necessary as the M14 mag sits flush against the magwell. The front part has been ground down (shining white on 2nd pic) to take the front clasp. I then glued a block of plastic at the back for the mag latch and shaped it. The mag catch isn't secured to the body of the magazine itself as its rugged enough to just be glued to the other blue parts, that and it makes for easier disassembly of the magazine in case of jams. As of now, it feeds fine, but has some side to side movement. The only way I can remedy this is when I make the new stock and adjust the magwells width accordingly.

Wow! I love it when a plan comes together!

Archived