KJW M9 Full Metal GBB

Well, I just got my Silver KJW M92 in the mail, and I just wanted to say thanks Shao for helping me get my first real airsoft gun. I've gotta say, this is extremely fun to shoot and I can't wait to actually play some. One thing, what is the effective range that you get with yours? I get about 60 feet (estimated), I was wondering if that was normal, cuz I've never really fired any other real airsoft guns, heh.

Thanks for the awesome review of an awesome gun. :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that even though my M9 isnt particularly accurate, I could hit a person at 50' 8/10 times. Unfortunately every 4th or 5th shot goes a little whacky, I do not think the barrels are held tightly enough in the KJW M9s. In any case once you get used to the arc of the BBs you can get pretty accurate with it...I'll shoot at people as far as 80' away, so long as I can get three or four shots in. I did once take a pot shot from about 110' and hit my man square in the chest, one shot.

Unfortunately since every couple shots go crazy, I always try to get in 2 or 3 shot bursts, since I know my first shot might be totally inaccurate.

I'm thinking of buying the KJW Elite-IA Full Metal version and I guess it's pretty much the same gun as this one but looks a bit different. Shao14 and someone else mentioned that the KJW M9 isn't all that accurate... what do you think is the reason? Could it be fixed with a better barrel for example? What about the rumors about KJW M9s having a design fault that causes the wrong part to take the hit when the slide stops (at the back of the gun)? Have you noticed it and does it have any effect on the metal version as some articles I've read say that the ABS one can in time break it's outer barrel because of the slide movement...?

Edit: I forgot... if this is not an accurate pistol then which one is? :)

Edited by masu

It's accurate enough for me to plink around. I have yet to draw it in a game. Loose count how many rounds have been through it, probably in the early thousands, and no sign of cracking or failure. If you change the hop up and/or the barrel, not sure if there is a precision barrel for this, but if there is, it should make improvement.

The most accurate pistol I have has to be the TM P226.

Shao14: Does the outer barrel of your gun move from side to side when you for example shake the gun? I noticed that in my Elite IA the barrel moves "quite alot" and leans on the bottom of the hole in the slide. It can easily be moved up and to both sides. You'd think this affects accuracy... but then again it seems to always center at the same position so it might not be such a big deal. In real guns it would be but maybe I'm expecting too much from a bb gun :).

Shao14: Does the outer barrel of your gun move from side to side when you for example shake the gun? I noticed that in my Elite IA the barrel moves "quite alot" and leans on the bottom of the hole in the slide. It can easily be moved up and to both sides. You'd think this affects accuracy... but then again it seems to always center at the same position so it might not be such a big deal. In real guns it would be but maybe I'm expecting too much from a bb gun :).

Yep, there's about 1mm play from side to side, or up and down. I don't think it affects the accuracy since when you are shooting, you won't be shaking the gun (hopefully :rolleyes: ) Never handled a real steel, so don't know how it compares.

Yep, there's about 1mm play from side to side, or up and down.  I don't think it affects the accuracy since when you are shooting, you won't be shaking the gun (hopefully  :rolleyes: )  Never handled a real steel, so don't know how it compares.

I fixed the extra play by making a ring out of really, really thin metal (0.2mm) and fastened it to the slide so that the barrel goes through it. It completely stopped moving sideways and is as sturdy as it can be. After that I noticed that the slide still moves quite alot and after measuring it I noticed that the front tabs that go into the rail on the frame are 0.2 mm wider that the slide rail at the back of the gun... that's why the slide has extra play from side to side. So I fixed that by applying some tape-like-plastic-thingy to the front part of the frame where the slide moves and now even the slide doesn't make any noice when shaking the gun. It shoots perfectly and seems a bit more accurate. Have to test it outside from a longer distance to be sure... ;)

Got a bit more play of my M9 out-doors today, and the fixed hop up in the M9 is noticably out-ranged by my other guns with adjustable hop ups (TM sig P226, KSC USP Compact, and KSC G17, didn't bring the SAA this time, I will test that one next time. :P), and one of the mags kept giving me misfeeds while the other one worked correctly (I haven't been using this mag much since usually I don't use pistols at all, let alone using more than one mags, maybe it haven't been broken in :huh: Not sure.)

What ammo were you using? The TM guns have their hop fixed for .2, IIRC.

:zorro:

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I was using .2g BBs (always have, but now I'm leaning towards .25g :P). I'm pretty bad at estimating the distance in numbers, but the KJW M9 shoots up to a certain distance before the BB drops, and the other guns I mentioned clearly shoots further when doing the test side by side, and you can tell there's a bit hop up in the trajectory of other guns.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure since I don't own those two guns.  But I can tell you this one is more fun to play with than the other two because the NBB doesn't have the blowback action, and the UTG shotgun is just a springer afterall. ;)

and just to make sure, the KJW elite and KJW elite IA have no performance difference yes?

Just thought you guys might be interested, but I fired a real-steel Beretta M9 military type last weekend, and although the recoil has got to be over 5 times as hard as the KJW M9 FMV, the real-steel looks EXACTLY like the KJW black FMV and feels the same (of course the real steel is quite a bit heavier though).

Besides the weight, working safety/decocker, Beretta grips, and the small Beretta trademarks on the real-steel, one could really be challenged to pick the real-steel apart from the KJW FMV if they were both lying next to each other in dim light.

So, kudos to KJW for making such a great replica. Too bad my groupings with the real-steel were noticably worse than my groupings with my friend's KJW M9 :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Sorry to hear that.  Look at the exploded diagram, and see if you can figure out how to put it back in; or find someone who's more familiar with the gun to help you fix it.

On another website, it says to check the formation of the U spring before taking it apart. Do you think you could take your right grip off and take a pic, then post it?

That would be great.

• 3 months later...