Misc Custom Machined Parts

dobey

One more little piece from my lathe...

M249Springretainer.jpg

It's a slightly modified spring retainer/preloader for a client/friend's STAR M249, original on left.

I was wanting to make one that had 3 positions, for different fps levels, e.g. 280~ish fps for CQB, 330~ish for most UK site limits and 350~ish for the 'more enlightened' sites :P

Unfortunately, the full stock's locking-pin housing goes right up tight to the back face of the gearbox, so you can't have the retainer protruding at all, in the low-power setting(s).

I could relieve the housing slightly for clearance but it would only give a couple of mm max before the pin was uncovered, which would then be the restricting part itself.

The one shown gives 275 and 320 fps, in the low and high positions respectively, with the standard (fairly weak) spring.

I'll be making another to take it up to 350 for our regular site.

I might do it with an built-in spring guide as well...

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol consider your idea stolen :P I have a friends SAW apart right now to replace the trigger switch, and this is a nice simple part to make the gun more interesting, thanks for sharing!

Cant show the body kits till they are finished, just have to wait. Here is another SCAR flash hider I made recently though:

cleaned.jpg

test1-1.jpg

Almost all the slides you see on the market are cast and not machined. I could machine one from scratch but you would not like the price-tag. PM me pictures of one you would want modified and we can talk about that.

lol consider your idea stolen :P I have a friends SAW apart right now to replace the trigger switch, and this is a nice simple part to make the gun more interesting, thanks for sharing!

:P Feel free dobey!

My original idea was to have just a few small slots at different positions, i.e. not full circumferential grooves, but just a slot wide enough for the latch to go into.

However, because of the stock interference I mentioned, there's no point.

Also, as it's so quick and easy to change the retainer, I think having two or three different ones is the way to go.

If you have the CA version with the removable plate at the base of the grip, you could store the other in there as well.

The STAR models don't have that unfortunately <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Send me a PM Vercingetorix, I also wanted to take a moment to say thank you to all the people I have worked with so far, we are growing at an exceptional rate! New (to us) 70 year old lathe, it is a monster and works flawlessly (that is a piece of 1.75 aluminum pipe in the chuck):

lathe-004.jpg

I can cut and crown inner barrels but not make them from scratch, if you need an inner modified I can do that. I was not doing outer barrels because my lathe was too small, but from the pics you can see that the small lathe problem has been solved.

I can now do outer barrels if you are interested send me a pm with what you want specifically.

On a side note I do parts that are not available from distributors, I cannot beat the prices of the Chinese especially even though my quality is better. So if you are looking for a part that costs xx amount from redwolf or some other Chinese distributor and want it cheaper don't ask me, there is a reason the stuff costs what it does, and the Chinese sell it cheaper than just about anyone.

I strive to keep the costs as low as I can, and sometimes I go too low and lose money. PM me and I will see what I can do for you.

Hi al, I got one of these from dobey a little while back, very good bit of kit and well made , although I had to take a bit of the coating off with wire wool to fit it ,( the section that slides into the outer barrel was maybe 0.5mm too big for my MK1 ) but now it's in there it aint coming out anytime soon!

with a silencer on it the MK1 is a beast, but this weekend I will be using this adapter to mount a moscart RG108 rifle grenade for a particular bit of room clearance (the adapter is easily strong enough to hold it!)

Top marks to Dobey!

Jim

If I made some 2D CAD drawings of the parts I need, would it be possible to have them made? Of course I'll pay for materials, time, etc.

Only thing is, they're tiny, as they are glock parts - namely the hammer and a few other bits.

Send me the cad drawings and I will give you a quote. Sorry to hear you had to fiddle with the thread adapter to make it fit. I made them a bit tight so they would not wobble at all with a silencer on it but it still fit in my MK1 as it was, wonder if my barrel is a bit loose? I sent you a pm alaskanairsofter, let me know if it went through.

Couple more bits from my lathe.

First up, a cylinder spacer to set the Angle of Engagement. I usually make one to fit between the piston and piston head but this was much easier to do as it doesn't need a spigot and hole machining to mate with the piston/head.

It has an o-ring fitted so it's a good snug fit in the cylinder.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...st&id=36561

Second, an extended piston head to convert the L85 to use standard AEG (16 tooth) pistons.

Again, I used to make a spacer but I like this option better.

I'll try making a similar cylinder spacer like the one above for the next one.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...st&id=36563

Another couple of quickies.

Flash hider for M14 SOCOM.

Barrel thread looked like it had been filed down :huh: So I turned it down smooth to make the flash hider a slip-fit on it, then secured it with a 6mm grub screw.

SOCOMFH1.jpg

SOCOMFH2.jpg

Foregrip end cap for CA AUG.

Black Delrin with Titanium screw holding an anchor nut inside that the spring hooks onto.

The screw is tapped to accept a 3mm screw for cap removal.

AUGcap2.jpg

AUGcap1.jpg

Will be knocking up alloy pistons for a couple of spring sniper rifles in the next few weeks as well (CA M24 + Swiss Arms)...

Errr....

You do realise I'm in the UK, don't you? ;)

EDIT; Funnily enough though, We (my family and I) were going to come to Hawaii in July to stay with relatives from Hong Kong, who'll be holidaying there for a month or so.

Unfortunately I couldn't get leave for the dates needed <_< .

I was looking forward to seeing something of the Hawaii Airsoft scene...

Archived