Misc Custom Machined Parts

dobey

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Technically I can put a real Romanian AIMS-74 front sight on it... but the threading for the Romanian compensator is 22mm (+ I believe), not 24mm like the AK74 threading is. It's also a bit longer than a standard AK74 style muzzle break.

if you can get the RS Romanian front sight and are willing to sue the standard AK74 muzzle break, all you'll need machined will be an extender with a 22mm CCW thread, i imagine.

edit: scratch that. it will require 22mm CCW at one end and 14mm CCW at the other. :shutup: one option would be the stock front sight an extender like this:

ProjectBlueprint.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

DSCF1930.jpg

pics courtesy trebor.

the length of the extension would, in your case, of course be different.

or you can have doc make the whole muzzle break ;)

• 2 weeks later...
...or you can have doc make the whole muzzle break ;)

Hey!

Quit volunteering me for tricky little jobs....I can do that all by myself :rolleyes:

:P

Also, I don't have a 22mmCCW die or tap....yet!

EDIT;...and I won't be getting them anytime soon either, £80+ for the Die and £75+ for the tap!! :o

Hey!

Quit volunteering me for tricky little jobs....I can do that all by myself :rolleyes:

:P

well . . . as somebody sed, you've taken over from dobey, so , , , , LOLZ ;)

Also, I don't have a 22mmCCW die or tap....yet!

EDIT;...and I won't be getting them anytime soon either, £80+ for the Die and £75+ for the tap!! :o

that much? :(

looks to me like it's the other part of it that needs extending, the thinner part.

saw that too, mate, but he seemed more concerned about the threading. extending the thinner part would actually be and easier do, methinks.

• 2 weeks later...

You weren't kidding Tink' when you said there were lots of pics.

You need to learn to edit them for size as well ;):D .

Anyhoo, another little job done;

Classic Army M24 piston, the original has worn at the edge where the sear holds, meaning it wouldn't latch reliably.

The rear end diameter also has too much clearance in relation to the cylinder inner diameter.

That, and the wear on the edge, made it just about unuseable.

The original (top) has a glued-on plastic and rubber head.

CASpiston3.jpg

I've made the replacement with a removable head, and used an o-ring instead of the 'cup' seal.

CASpiston1.jpg

The other o-ring goes between the head and the piston body, to give some shock absorbtion.

CASpiston4.jpg

I'm also going to fix a steel shim to the front of the rear section, so the sear won't wear away the edge quite so quickly.

CASpiston5.jpgCASpiston6.jpg

There, all done.

Steel 'insert' fitted (press-fit) to the end, now the sear won't wear it away so quickly, should outlast the rest of the gun now :P , especially once I've polished the sear surface as well.

Having a rough surfaced hardened steel sear, acting on a (relatively) soft Alloy piston...what were they thinking :rolleyes: .

Probably a deliberate ploy to sell lots of replacement pistons and 'upgraded' sears and trigger assemblies...upgraded to what should have been fitted originally <_< .

• 2 months later...

Guess what I have in my Workshop as of today?

Mill1.jpg

Adcock & Shipley 1ES Milling machine with horizontal and vertical head assemblies.There's a few on the net, for anything between £800-£1200.I paid £165...delivered!! Still can't believe it.There are no tools, vices, clamps etc but it's still an amazing find.I was going to spend around £600+ on a little 'hobby' Mill (without tooling), so even if I spend another £300-£400 or so on tooling (which doesn't get a great deal) I'm still laughing.Needs a single phase motor as well, it's 3-phase at the moment.800kg of British cast iron, took some moving!!

"Nurse! Back massage please"

would you be able to mod a we hicappa slide...
If you mean just adding the slots at the front, then yes, but not until next year probably :unsure:

It'll take a couple of months, I reckon, to get hold of all the tooling I need, and get it wired up and converted to single phase power.

delivered and you still need a back massage. good thing you didn't have to transport from the seller. :P

Actually, we moved it from the corner of his workshop and loaded it onto his trailer together, he towed it to my place, then we unloaded it outside my workshop.

The original plan was for the owner to hoist it into a friend of mine's van with a fork-lift, I don't think we could have got it out at my end though.

Getting it over the small step of my workshop doorway was a laugh.

My 15 yr old Daughter was helping me shift it, using a 2.5m long lifting bar.

It took all her weight at the end to just lift one side of the pallet, while I manouvered the hand operated pallet truck.

At one point I dropped it down to push it under a bit further and she was just lifted clean off the ground, she was squealing and giggling with her flailing feet about a metre off the deck :D:P

Saying that to a man with a garage full of tools that could drill, cut, carve, engrave, and or buff through/into you... Grand idea.

But on topic, why are all the awesome garage airsoft workshops across the pond? :( This may force me to get into it myself. *sigh* more money towards airsoft. ugh.

Saying that to a man with a garage full of tools that could drill, cut, carve, engrave, and or buff through/into you... Grand idea.
As my Daughter would say (and text/type)..."LOLZ"

But on topic, why are all the awesome garage airsoft workshops across the pond? :( ...

It's part of the British psy-che Crump3t ;)

Engineers, inventors (mad or otherwise), tinkerers, modifiers etc, the UK has always produced the very best :P .

I guess it's also partly to to with the old 'Make do and mend' mentality, borne out of our parents/grandparents experiences living through two World Wars, particularly for those of us of a 'certain age'.

...Really nice work guys :D

Keep up the good work

(and doc i envy you now :( )

Thanks, but you can't envy my job of clearing/tidying my workshop so I can actually get in there at the moment, let-alone work in there :o

Heh, yeah. I make small bits and bobs for my guns and tac gear all the time (my CQB rig is almost entirely custom-tailored to one extent or another). I think it's just part of who we are- there's something uniquely satisfying about not just putting a gun together yourself, but actually having manufactured or modified the bits you made it out of.

Unfortunately for me the one part I really want made and can't do myself at the moment is an entire lower frame assembly for a WA SCW1 Para-Ordnance HRT Special (preferably in aluminium) which is a hideously complex and very difficult thing to get done. I put a few feelers out and to get the part made bespoke by a metalworking company I know would cost something in the region of a thousand pounds. And I need three of them.

The only other option is getting PGC lower frames but those are rarer than hens' teeth on the market right now.

I am less happy than I could be about this.

[/subtlety] :D

Seriously though, it is a hideous piece to do. I could probably get it done eventually if I had my own machine shop, but it would take... Well, it would take quite a while to get it right. Not sure how far I'm prepared to go in trying to get it done, but it's pretty far.

...an entire lower frame assembly for a WA SCW1 Para-Ordnance HRT Special (preferably in aluminium) which is a hideously complex and very difficult thing to get done...

'Hideously complex' and 'very difficult' don't even come close to describing something like that :P:o

Seriously though, it is a hideous piece to do. I could probably get it done eventually if I had my own machine shop, but it would take... Well, it would take quite a while to get it right. Not sure how far I'm prepared to go in trying to get it done, but it's pretty far.

But not far enough to pay £1000? :unsure:

Pretty much (on both counts, Doc). The firm I was looking at to get an Alu frame would have laser-cut the exterior then milled the complex interior bits. I was thinking I could get my own second-hand machine shop for that much if I had the space for the tools. Mind, I'd probably spend at least that much just on blocks of aluminium that I would successively ruin in my attempts to cut the part out as well... it's been a while since anybody let me loose in a machine shop.

On the other hand, I'd probably still pay for it if I could afford it. My oldest HRT Special is also my single most valued posession at the moment, and that's talking as a guy who recently spent about a grand on parts from which to construct a new PC. If the frame on the pistol had cracked earlier I probably would have got a new one made instead...

Mad I know, but it was the first airsoft gun I ever bought and it's still (in my opinion) the best airsoft pistol I've ever shot with. Over five years old and still going strong- never had an issue with it that wasn't at least partially my own fault. Kicks like a mule and it's accurate to a better range than some AEGs.

Archived