Cybergun Colt XM177E2

Right ho! This is just a quick review as I want to get a full one done for Arnie after the holidays! So, onwards and upwards!

First Impressions:

p32300040sk.jpg

I got this off the forums for a jolly decent price (thanks goes to "1647") so I wasn't expecting too much of it. SMK (UK retailer, and a right ripoff) have a RRP for it of £199.99, that is far too high for it, but more on that later!

Opening the box I was confronted by an Colt XM177, 2 x hicaps (more on them later), 1 x battery, and 1 x charger, and an instruction book in French & English. SMK sell the charger separately but the battery comes with the gun.

The first thing that surprised me was the size! My previous AEG being a Boys MP5, the size was a nice surprise! Picking it up, I gave it a good bend, and was pleased to hear it creak nicely, wouldn't do for a Cybergun not to creak!

The guns is made almost entirely out of plastic, with just a few metal items. They are:

Fire selector/safety

Trigger

Front sling swivel

The inner butt stock (which makes the butt nice and strong)

p32300068pu.jpg

How it works:

After removing the front grips by pulling on the collar, I had a look at the battery compartment. The fuse is contained in the front and is very easy to change. The battery supplied is a Sanyo which was a nice surprise.

p32300050zl.jpg

Once I had charged the battery for 5 hours I fitted it into the gun and fired. RATATATATATAT! A big grin spread across my face! :D By using my computer I clocked the RPM at 775RPM, quite good!

Power seemed quite good as well, I going by what was on the box, and the holes it make in things, i reckon about 0.75J, about the same as a stock TM AEG. The body seems to be quite well sealed and at first glance I can't see a way in to it.

Gearbox: from what I can see in the magwell it appears to be some sort of metal, so upgrades should be possible in the future. The gearbox also features a little lever which release the non-return mech and decompresses the spring, quite a good idea.

Hicaps: These were a dissapointment! They are very unreliable. When firing on semi they feed fine, but when I switch to full auto they missfire almost 95% of the shots with hardly and BBs coming out. I have put this down to a rather cheap mech and weak spring. I hope to mod it to use Star Locaps in the future.

p32300077dk.jpg

Hop-up: well it does have hopup, but it is fixed and there is no way of adjusting it. It seems to be set for 0.2g @ about 25m.

Range: Usable range is about 25m, that is as far as it will shoot in my garden. Accuracy is awful, but that is a lot to do with liberal amounts of silicon lube in the hicaps to make them feed better. 8" groups at 10m seems about average.

The battery lasts for about 750 shots which is rather annoying. But that is the problem with small batteries.

Others things:

The butt stock is adjustable with two positions, in and out. Nice 'n simple.

The gun has a metal rod running down to the front sight that make the whole thing quite strong, I can even hold it up by the muzzel! No barrel wobble here!

p32300119ij.jpg

So all in all quite a good gun for CQB, not so good for woodland, the ROF and power are good and the range fine out to about 25m.

Value for money: Not very much! £200 will buy you a TM AEG with battery that will be far better. This gun is not worth more than £100. How they manage to sell them at £200 beats me.

The most puzzling thing about the gun is the make. Or lack of. Cybergun are an importer from France they do not make guns. I have a feeling that it might be made by Acadamy as the mags are the same, but this gun seems superior to an Acadamy one.

So do I like it? Yes. Would I buy it new? No. Will I mod it to death? YES!!

:D

McMadkat

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again for your offer but reducing the Power within 0.5 Joule...that´ll be a toy ;) For Semis over 0.5 Joule we need special official markings and they are quit expensiv...all these rules suck but that´s the way it is.....

Guess I continue modifying my M733. I just asked cause we have a retailer over here offering the Cybergun XM for 159,-- Euro

Well if you want to buy it off me you are welcome. £20 posted is all I want for it.  Doesn't come with batt or charger though.  Can chuck in 2x hicaps, and 1x star locap. 

McM

I'd buy the STAR mag from you (want to try it out before I buy a box) :lol: