Jin's Review Of The Tokyo Marui Mac-10 AEP

And now it's time for my last big irritation with this gun... unlike Marui claimed on their website, this gun does not feature a working bolt stop mechanism.

On the Bablefish translated version of Marui's web page for the Mac-10 prior to release there was an entire section about how the magazine's special follower worked as a bolt stop mechanism to interfere with the mechbox's firing when the mag was empty. However I just checked their website at the time of writing this review and that section has since been removed. So my best guess is that there were some last minute problems with the bolt stop mechanisms which caused them to be removed from the final product right before they hit the market.

So I'm sorry to say that this gun does not have a working bolt stop mechanism like Marui led many of us to believe from the info on their web page prior to release. It's a darn shame too, because that was a major selling point of the Mac-10 for me.

Okay - in the interest of fairness... It's very difficult to understand what exactly Marui is promissing from their previews and promotional info. Partially because Babelfish, while helpful, is hardly a reliable source for translating languages (especially complex ones like Japanese). Secondly, you're dealing with a foreign language and foreign concepts. Remember when the TM M14 was announced and everyone was convinced the 'realistic action' meant it would have a blow-back function? In the end, it turns out that Marui meant the rotational movement of the fake bolt was a 'realistic' feature.

The M10 mag does have an interesting spring loaded fake 'feed lips' function that allows the magazine to look more like a real magazine when outside the weapon, but pushes down into the mag to allow it to be seated without interferring with the mechbox or air nozzle. For all we know, that easily could have been the realistic function TM was touting.

I'm just wary of people accusing TM of misrepresentation or false advertising when there's no way of knowing exactly what was meant.

Other than that, excellent review. Thanks much for sharing the info. I'm looking forward to picking up one of these AEPs myself, sometime after the holidays (already have an MP7 and Vz61 - need to complete the collection :lol:)

Edited by (V)atrix

As far as the jamming goes, I had a similar problem with my TM Scorpion's standard mags when I first got it: it would fail to feed a lot on a full mag. On mine, it was because there was too much spring pressure, so I left the mag fully loaded for a few days, lubed it a bit, and now it works fine. I think you just might need to break in the spring, or the follower might be catching a little bit.

You are indeed right (V)atrix, some things can get lost in translation from Japanese to English, especially with a translator like Babel Fish. And I really wouldn't have been so quick to claim false pre-release advertising if it wasn't for the fact that an entire paragraph from Marui's webpage for the Mac-10 that was there a few weeks before it was released is now missing, which just happens to be the paragraph describing the bolt stop mechanism. I now wish I would have taken a picture of the web page and translation at the time so I could back up my claim now, but I'm sorry to say I didn't.

In any case, what's done is done and it's still a darn fine AEP that I'm liking more and more by the day. I finally got the cash together a few days ago and ordered 4 spare standard mags and I'll be getting some MP7/Mac-10 batteries within the next few days so I should be pretty set for it's first real skirmish in mid December.

And on the topic of mags, there is one thing I totally forgot to mention in the review! As (V)atrix described, the Mac-10 magazines do have that neat little mock feed lip on the back of the mag that depresses down into the mag when you load it into the gun. While it may seem like just a cosmetic thing that looks nice it does actually make the mag feel much more realistic when you load it into the gun. It provides a little bit of resistance an you can feel the spring in the mock feed lip depress a little bit to simulate the feeling of the rounds being pushed downward a bit by the bolt like you'd have on a real gun.

Also, the new BB follower design works quite well! The tip of the follower is shaped like a BB and when the mag is empty it extends out of the mag a fair bit so it allows every single BB to be fed. In other words, no more having 2 or 3 BBs fall out of the magwell when you remove the empty mag, these new mags feed every last BB ^_^

Boba Fett, your quite welcome! I looked over your translation of the review on 6mm and it looked great! I'm glad I could help give the German airsoft community a little preview of the Mac-10 AEP, it's a great gun and I'm sure you guys and gals will enjoy it.

And thanks for the advice about the jamming issues Johnny Sasaki! I'll try leaving the mag loaded for a few days and then giving it a little lubing with some silicone oil and then see how it feeds on semi auto with a full mag.

Edited by Jin15

That's the common thing were you have to have the spring in the magazine 'used' up. It's not a big issue, but on some of the Marui MP7s, that was also the issue including the nozzle. As for the magazine follower, I found it's purpose slightly useful as when you press the magazine catch, the magazine will shoot out, allowing you for easier or faster magazine changes. Boy you're lucky to have your MAC10 without orange paint! The ones in my shop had to come with a painted tip on both silencer and gun. That aside it's amazingly unfortunate that newer Marui guns are slowly losing it's customer in many ways. Lessons learned here, maybe Marui's TMP will have a little more to offer.

Edited by Shinden

LOL!! :lol:

Very nice size comparison RSP1! :P

But seriously, it is pretty huge in comparison to the KSC M11 but once you get used to it than it doesn't feel awkward at all and actually seems quite compact. Don't get me wrong, it's still a big SMG, but it's still a lot smaller than an MP5K and would probably make a fine backup weapon for a sniper if they felt the need to have something with reliable automatic fire.

Hm. Seems to me that something that big might as well have been a regular AEG. There should be room enough for bigger, better performing internals.

Not really... You're mistaking over-all length with size. You need to be looking at just the body of the M10. First. the magazine is so far back toward the rear of the body that it'd be tough to fit a full-sized gearbox in the M10 body and still have it able to feed from a grip-mounted mag. Secondly, even if that were possible, there'd be no room left for an internal battery.

To be honest, I'm impressed TM was even able to get it working as an AEP.

Edited by (V)atrix
Boy you're lucky to have your MAC10 without orange paint! The ones in my shop had to come with a painted tip on both silencer and gun.

Tell me, why do people complain about a Federal law which requires at least 1/4" or 6.5mm of orange paint for all replica firearms?

(well, excepting obvious paintball guns) it's not that blatantly obvious...though it does get over the top recently...for example the entire outer barrel (plastic) on my KJW 1911a1 is orange. It's t3h g@yness, don't need THAT much, but...better than spending time in a lockup...

lol don't worry I well understand on the laws here, however being Japanese and I go back and forth tp Japan I'm more accustomed to orange-less guns. Also here in Hawaii we can still remove them after the warranty expires and it's all on our own. Despite me being able to remove such a thing cleanly, it still takes a huge amount of time and effort that could have been easily solved by importing models without the painted tip. In airsoft world here, just a small speck of orange is good enough for some players to find you and finally the fact of being different is what strikes local players. Most custom guns here in Hawaii too don't have any orange tips on them as they are removed by the users. So only when you buy the guns in the shop you must have them.

Just a quick note here on the orange tip issue...

For the record, I live in Minnesota and in this particular state there is no law requiring airsoft guns to have orange tips. So legally speaking it is just fine to have and skirmish with an airsoft gun with no orange tip in the state of MN. Thus the reason most local players have no orange on the tips of their guns and why I always ask overseas companies like Redwolf to put on an orange plastic flashider and include the original unpainted one in the box (or to only paint the tip with a thin coat of a very light and easy to remove paint) when I place an order.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knew that I was not infringing on any laws by having my Mac-10's tip unpainted ^_^

Edited by Jin15
Tell me, why do people complain about a Federal law which requires at least 1/4" or 6.5mm of orange paint for all replica firearms?

Because it's a pointless law that

1) has and will not prevent any crime of any sort, and

2) doesn't prevent anyone from getting shot by the police or defensive citizen (if they wave the gun around in a threatening manner and don't drop it when told to), and as a cherry on top

3) ruins the looks of an otherwise remarkably well made working toy model

On the MAC-10, I have to agree that there's no way a regular AEG gearbox would have fit in there, even if you made the battery external or sit in the suppressor. So it's an AEP, we can live with that. But the light weight and blatantly obvious seam lines on the plastic suppressor... After the well replicated Scorpion, this was a letdown from Marui.

-Sale

I used this gun in a CQB skirmish recently, however with that silencer it does make a big difference in sound. With all the players wearing full face masks, the MAC10's sound signature is not audible with the silencer. I was apparently duel weilding guns, however single hand shots was just effective without aiming(not using sights) at all but just point the large silencer towards the target. I am happy to say it's accuracy does pay a lot in CQB as in one game I was able to take down 3 out of 5 guys (semi-auto) in a small room with it with great effeceincy. The size of the grip is large, but while using it in combat, that large grip becomes really comfortable to hold with a strong grip with adrenaline rushed viens. The rear stock was also helpful as a balance for me and I was able to use it as a hook to latch it on to my belt as a temporary stow-away. Engagements around 3ft~20ft is an ideal choice for the MAC10. Now on full-auto the gun's decent ROF proved it's usefullness against armored-up military soldiers by suppress firing. Full-auto firing was smooth and dead on the target as in my last game I have taken out 2 players with an accurate spray (& no prayers for the dead lol).

I was impressed with the gun's use in a tight CQB field. I gladly recommend this gun as a CQB choice.