Hijacked thread: Clones vs TM (mainly)

gunnermaniac

I just used my new CYMA aks for the first time yesterday.... all i can say is, tm are in for some trouble... they have literally nothing over the cyma, aside from thier name POSSIBLY.... the cyma shoots further against a tm, better, longer, harder, faster :P (the daft punk ak) For the price of the tm, you can buy a cyma, a wood and metal kit, and have change for a box of METAL CA midcaps before reaching the tms standard price... where is the math here?

R

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its still way to early.

At some point one side or the other of the "big brand vs. clone" debate will be eating their words and the other will be laughing.

The key issues;

1.) Long term durabilty and reliability of both internal and external parts of clones.

2.) Long term compatibility of both internal and external parts accross the industry.

Other than that its personal choice (which I think is why some people are taking the debate far too personally), people will pay whatever they are willing to pay and are quite at liberty to place as much or as little faith in whatever brand names they choose. And they are entitled to change their minds.

What we have at the moment is a rather irritating situation where we've simply added another layer to the age old "I like this manufacturer, your manufacturer sucks, I have invested my money more wisely" attitude which is simply unecessary, helps no one and achieves nothing. One side or the other may be right, it really doesn't matter though because the result of someone's Clone/TM breaking on them shouldn't be; point, laugh, 'told you so'. Just because you made a better decision or choice than someone else doesn't mean you have to be a *beep*.

At the moment I personally would not purchase a clone. They have not yet been subjected to long-term use so their reliability, compatibility and longevity is still in question. Furthermore I'm still a noob to airsoft so Mauri is a safe choice for a beginner who doesn't plan on ripping the RIF open and upgrading any time soon.

Finally, what I have seen at online stores, in the UK at least, is that once shipping prices and the profit margins of the stores themselves have been added to the base price there really isn't a great deal of money saved buying a clone over a TM (still over £100) and until they are proven over time to be an equally reliable product to TM I won't pay nearly the same price for what could turn out to be an inferior product in the long term. Off the top of my head there might be roughly around £40 difference between a TM and a clone in the UK. Yeah you can use the remainder to get clone wood and metal but then I still don't see that as anything gained because the durability/reliability of that kit is still in question in the long term. It 'aint a Hurricane.

I will say though that I am all in favour of the clone accessories available at the moment (scopes, sights, mounts, bipods, foregrips etc.) because they are ridiculously cheap, they are fun and not integral to the operation of the gun ("Oh noes my fake Eotech stopped working mid game! Oh well at least I can still shoot".)

I don't know but personally for someone like me that isn't good with tinkering with AEGs, I'd rather buy an AEG that I can use out of the box and not worry about having reliability issues. The only reason why i'd buy a clone is either they have a gun that TM doesn't make and I want (AGM MP40, but based on reviews I'm not sure how friendly it is to a non technical airsoft person like myself) or I'm if low on cash.

Besides when I know that pick up a TM that has been taken care of, I have complete confidence that 99.9% of the time I will able to rely on the gun, come any skirmish I go to.

Apparently, trying to give different examples of the same problems is weathercocking and not the same argument. I'll take my leave from this 'flame the guy that likes Japanese guns more than clones' until someone other than Xaccers can actually see that.

Where's the flaming from me then? Damn shame, I honestly wanted to see your response to my post as it would help me to understand what you meant, as I could no longer tell what criteria we were supposed to be discussing about clones v TM - reliability, upgradeability, under what set of circumstances etc etc etc.

Suppose you pay $150 for a new-ish clone. I think it's pretty accepted that clones have TM beat hands down on externals so we'll leave that out of the picture.

Spare gearboxes run about $50, and thats still a little bit generous. So if you had $250, you could either get a TM AEG or a new clone with 2 spare gearboxes. I doubt TM gearbox will last 3x longer than a clone one. Sometimes it's even disputable that they last longer at all. Not to mention you'll have way better externals and be shooting hotter from the beginning.

Don't try to tell me that people don't have the mechanical inclination to be able to replace a whole gearbox. It's not hard at all compared to actually opening one up.

I realize that it's not a very precise argument, but I think it gets my point across.

One of the things I noticed about viper's arguments is that it centers around the fact the noobs have no idea what to do when their gun breaks. Assuming that the buyer has even a beginner - intermediate knowledge of airsoft mechanics, isn't there almost no contest? Not counting the lazy people who can't be assed to fix their guns.

I've tasted both the fruits of a clone and a Classic Army. I've also used a lot of my friends TM guns. Personally I think the clones own TM and I will NEVER buy a TM because most of the clones of their guns are so much better. Get used to seeing more clones people, the cheaper alternatives are becoming better and better by the day. Soon people will like and buy chinese clones so much, they'll start giving us fortune cookies with them.

iloveics

QUOTE (spence52490 @ Dec 15 2007, 02:54 PM)

Soon people will like and buy chinese clones so much, they'll start giving us fortune cookies with them.

Lol yeah "your motor will die in 5 days from now".

LMAO :lol: Best come back lol!

Archived