TADgear Stealth Hoodie

Kiki-Jiki

BTW, how is the stealth hoodie in colder weather? Like, around 15-30 degrees? Will it keep it's warmth?

I was in the TAD gear store in San Francico last week asking about the V3. It will apparently be of even lighter material than the previous versions as it is expressly designed to be part of a layering system.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, most of the features that you have to pay extra for are already part of the TAD hoodie's base price, if the TAD's features are what you want/need, then there's no need to pay another $100+ for the same thing with a beyond.

Anyway, just go with what you think looks the best (softshells are softshell, not much difference between them aside from features), as long as it's not a northface ;-)

EDIT:

GraemeH, that's one half of the story. TAD's stealth line is being split into two lines, one with "rhino skin", which is what's on the current line, and one with "shark skin", which is a smoother and lighter version of stealth line.

the beyond is a softshell, you have to layer to take it anywhere below 40 degrees really. just like any softshell, you could wear it but youll be cool.

again, unless you are law enforcement or military, and active, and can prove it, you will be unable to get the arcteryx bravo. not sure if you detailed that i didnt read to in depth. the crocodile color is a coyote color anyways. its hard to tell but it is.

i know the high pockets are for waist belts--its the alack of insulation i dont particularly like on my trio. and as for this being tactical--the trio was the submission from beyond for the USMC combat jacket run..so its definitely that.

the drop tail is an option with beyond. remember, the beyond fit is COMPLETELY customizable. so athletic, regular, or layering fit (mine is regular) with a low, medium or high waist. sleeves, shoulder, neck, chest waist and torso are all fit to you, and how you want it to fit. I dunno call me biased but the fact that its custom fit, the quality of work is outstanding and the materials they use are the best on the market, I woudl take beyond. (they also have the new contract for the PCU items for mil)

here are pictures of my actual cold weather (20ish and below) setup..consists of a 300 weight coyote fleece, the beyond trio, and PCU hardshell:

<snip>

remember. softshells, along with most combat wear, are designed for layering. youll struggle to find a do-it-all jacket on the market, however softshells are the best compromise.

You sure that you have to be military or LE to buy the Bravo Jacket?

Bravo Jacket

I wanted to see what the shipping cost would be, so I added it to my cart, and went all the way to the "enter credit card info" step (still didn't give me a shipping quote.... <_< ), but never saw one thing that said you had to be military.

I'm still thinking about the Beyond because of the customizability....so, yeah I guess I just have to think about it more.

Thing is, most of the features that you have to pay extra for are already part of the TAD hoodie's base price, if the TAD's features are what you want/need, then there's no need to pay another $100+ for the same thing with a beyond.

Anyway, just go with what you think looks the best (softshells are softshell, not much difference between them aside from features), as long as it's not a northface ;-)

EDIT:

GraemeH, that's one half of the story. TAD's stealth line is being split into two lines, one with "rhino skin", which is what's on the current line, and one with "shark skin", which is a smoother and lighter version of stealth line.

That's why I was thinking a TAD Hoodie, because it comes with a hood, velcro, plenty of pockets, etc...

I emailed TAD asking when they are coming out and how much they will cost, so we'll just have to wait and see...

And yeah....I kinda like the looks of the Arc'Teryx Bravo Jacket best, but I like the TAD Stealth Hoodie, too. Not to keen on the Beyond...I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't seem very..."tactical". I don't know why, it just doesn't appeal as much as the Bravo and Stealth to me. ;)

r.ocelot, so are you saying that I can get the new V3.0 Stealth Hoodie in the "rhino skin"? Or is the new one only in "shark skin"?

Oh, and GraemeH, do you know what colors the V3 Hoodie will be in?

The Bravo is only listed under the LEAF on arcteryx's site. You may in fact be able to order it through retailers anyways, although theyre not supposd to sell it like that. If so thats good.

The extra price you pay for with beyond is the 100% customizable options and fit. That and it has some of the most high-tech materials out there. I would definitely not say a softshell is a softshell, there are certainly differences. iI'm not putting down TAD at all but IMO the Beyond is in a different league, in a way apples to oranges as well. Typically in this company (brand wise) you get what you pay for.

So...how is the Beyond's material better than TAD's? Like I said before, if you're happy with the TAD's features and fit, then it's pointless to pay a lot more for a Beyond in the same config. Not to mention that the TAD has features that you can't get with a Beyond.

But the TAD rhino skin Stealth Hoodie won't be out until January? :( I was hoping to get my jacket like...in a few weeks, at most. :unsure:

So....I guess the real question is: Beyond, or Arc'Teryx?

Kinda likin' Beyond, but...here, let me ask some questions:

I want a jacket that I can use (with layers) in the winter, but also use (w/out layers) in the spring, summer, and fall. But I also really want PLENTY of movability and breathability. I DON'T want to have it being uncomfortable when I'm moving. That's a +1 to the Arc'Teryx because of their stretch-whatever-they-call-it.

Ok, so...for Beyond, how about the "Vayu Plus X Jacket"? Sounds pretty good.

Now, what's with the hood? They call it an "Attached Helmet Hood". What does that mean? Does it lay flat when not in use? I probably won't use the hood much, unless it's raining/snowing. But I don't want a big hood in the way of my CIRAS when I have it down. That's a +1 for the TAD Stealth Hoodie because it's a very low-profile hood.

And there's no point in having a water-proof jacket without anything to protect your head/face....

What's the "Collar Shock Cord"? What does it do? And is the YKK Water Resistant Main Zipper really worth $15?

For the build, should I go with long arms? "Long- to cover portion of hand" The problem is that I don't really like it when the sleeves are really long, unless I've got my arms stretched out. And when my arms are stretched out, a long sleeve would be good...I'm diggin' the Arc'Teryx stretchy stuff here...

What's the difference between "Standard Fit Request, Technical, and Built for Layering"? Is Technical like a tight fit, and layering a loose fit?

How about length? paradigmsk8er, weren't you saying something about you had the Standard length and when cinched up it was too tight?

So....yeah, I'm still unsure of what to buy....maybe some OTHER opinions (besides hardcore TAD and hardcore Beyond...). Lol, not like you guys don't help, but opinions are a little biased.... ;)

Check alaska gun, they might have a few more 10th aniv hoodies left. The stretching property is in all softshell jackets.

They only have it in Small...I think I'm a Medium. :(

Any other sites that might have it?

Oh, and what's the diff. between the 10th Aniversary one and the V2.5?

But the TAD rhino skin Stealth Hoodie won't be out until January? :( I was hoping to get my jacket like...in a few weeks, at most. :unsure:

So....I guess the real question is: Beyond, or Arc'Teryx?

Kinda likin' Beyond, but...here, let me ask some questions:

I want a jacket that I can use (with layers) in the winter, but also use (w/out layers) in the spring, summer, and fall. But I also really want PLENTY of movability and breathability. I DON'T want to have it being uncomfortable when I'm moving. That's a +1 to the Arc'Teryx because of their stretch-whatever-they-call-it.

Ok, so...for Beyond, how about the "Vayu Plus X Jacket"? Sounds pretty good.

Now, what's with the hood? They call it an "Attached Helmet Hood". What does that mean? Does it lay flat when not in use? I probably won't use the hood much, unless it's raining/snowing. But I don't want a big hood in the way of my CIRAS when I have it down. That's a +1 for the TAD Stealth Hoodie because it's a very low-profile hood.

And there's no point in having a water-proof jacket without anything to protect your head/face....

What's the "Collar Shock Cord"? What does it do? And is the YKK Water Resistant Main Zipper really worth $15?

For the build, should I go with long arms? "Long- to cover portion of hand" The problem is that I don't really like it when the sleeves are really long, unless I've got my arms stretched out. And when my arms are stretched out, a long sleeve would be good...I'm diggin' the Arc'Teryx stretchy stuff here...

What's the difference between "Standard Fit Request, Technical, and Built for Layering"? Is Technical like a tight fit, and layering a loose fit?

How about length? paradigmsk8er, weren't you saying something about you had the Standard length and when cinched up it was too tight?

So....yeah, I'm still unsure of what to buy....maybe some OTHER opinions (besides hardcore TAD and hardcore Beyond...). Lol, not like you guys don't help, but opinions are a little biased.... ;)

r.ocelot--schoeller fabrics are some of the best soft shell fabrics out there, that is what beyond uses. And there is no guarunteeing the fit on your TAD, unlike Beyond where its custom fit, and if it doesnt fit like you like it send it back and the make ita gain to fit you, free. thats customer service.

i have no experience with the vayu. i would take one of the shock jackets if i had to pick a new one

as mentiond almost all soft shells stretch and are semi-athletic in fit. and almost all are the same--warm enough for 40 degree weather, breathable enough (especially with pit zips) in warmer weather. FWIW i live in FL and wear mine here at times in the rain, but also take it into teens and 20s weather up north with layers. soft shells are built specifically to layer.

the attached helmet hood isnt high profile, its just large enough to fit around a helmet. their older hood style was much more athletic (as pictured in my review) and as such not well suited to combat environments. they quickly changed that.

collar shock cord is just an adjustable collar to cinch up. YKK waterproof zippers ar enice but in all honesty, on a softhsell unneeded because ifs raining hard enough to soak through your zipper, your soft shellw ill soak through anyways and you should be layering with a hardshell. At times i thought i would like a set but in the end i boguht a PCU hardshell anyways, flexibility is the greatest asset of this type of system (beyond, tad, acrteryx etc)

technical is more of an athletic, formed fit. standard is similar to mine, room for layering (as seen in pictures) but still semi-form fitting. layering fit is meant for several layers underneatha nd still form fits, just allows for more room. im fine with standard and happy with the choice..too big and i wouldve never needed tht much room to layer

length wise i do wish i had gone with a longer length--at times it comes up too short if im reaching above my head, etc. but that was a mistake on my part not ordering long.

as for bias--yes i absolutely love my beyond. there are just as many TAD lovers too and in all honest I almost bought a TAD until i saw the wait, then began looking for other brands. Its all personal preference, features etc. Any of these jackets are a great investment that will last you a long time and serve you well. (You could throw SORD in the mix as well but theyre out of softshells..check mountainhardwear for other great gear too)

they changed quite a few things, just compare the v2.5 and the 10th aniv's feature list.

what's your chest size?

On TAD's website? I don't see the 10th Anniv. hoodie... :huh:

Chest size...good question? Maybe I should measure that...just a moment:

about 34 inches. Yeah, I'm skinny as hell. <_< So, is that like Small?

EDIT: Thanks paradigmsk8er, that's pretty nice. I mean, I was kind of hoping for something that I could wear in the rain, without getting a hardshell, and from what I hear both the TAD and Arc'Terxy Jackets (Stealth Hoodie and Bravo, respectively) are pretty darn waterproof, and the only parts that even start to get wet are the tops of the shoulders.

What do the pit zips do? You open them up in warmer weather for breathability?

Yeah, you're the same build as me. Roughly 30-32 for pant size as well? lol.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/appa...ary_edition.htm

Small will do you good, medium would be too large for you.

Yep, 32, approximately (well, that's for my jeans....for BDU's I wear a size small because I'm skinny)

Oo, well, I may just have to order that 10th Anniv. Stealth Hoodie from Alaska gun tomorrow...or very soon (before it goes out of stock!). Its sounding better and better, and better all the time... :D

Although the Beyond still sounds pretty decent. Idk...I'll read some reviews and stuff, and make my decision. I'll post pics (of course), as soon as it comes. :)

1. r.ocelot--schoeller fabrics are some of the best soft shell fabrics out there, that is what beyond uses. And there is no guarunteeing the fit on your TAD, unlike Beyond where its custom fit, and if it doesnt fit like you like it send it back and the make ita gain to fit you, free. thats customer service.

2. the attached helmet hood isnt high profile, its just large enough to fit around a helmet. their older hood style was much more athletic (as pictured in my review) and as such not well suited to combat environments. they quickly changed that.

1. And that means the fabric TAD uses isn't good? Some qualitative comparisons between the two materials would be good. As for the fitting issue, TAD has no problems taking things back if you're not satisfied. Don't like whatever you bought from TAD? Send it back, Mike or Patrick won't throw a fit over it. That's customer service.

2. A possible issue I see with the Beyond's hood is that it doesn't perk up at the front of the hood. That means the rain will drip right down to your face, or even better, into the crevice between the mouth cover and your mouth. The front of the TAD's hoodie is...erect, for lack of a better word. Rain would either roll off the side, or, if it does roll off the front, it'd be in front of your face, not on to it. Like I said, TAD pays attention to all the useful little details.

"What do the pit zips do? You open them up in warmer weather for breathability?"

Pretty much, when your pits gets too warm, you open them up to let some air in.

1. And that means the fabric TAD uses isn't good? Some qualitative comparisons between the two materials would be good. As for the fitting issue, TAD has no problems taking things back if you're not satisfied. Don't like whatever you bought from TAD? Send it back, Mike or Patrick won't throw a fit over it. That's customer service.

2. A possible issue I see with the Beyond's hood is that it doesn't perk up at the front of the hood. That means the rain will drip right down to your face, or even better, into the crevice between the mouth cover and your mouth. The front of the TAD's hoodie is...erect, for lack of a better word. Rain would either roll off the side, or, if it does roll off the front, it'd be in front of your face, not on to it. Like I said, TAD pays attention to all the useful little details.

"What do the pit zips do? You open them up in warmer weather for breathability?"

Pretty much, when your pits gets too warm, you open them up to let some air in.

That's good! It's a jacket, it'll probably fit....I mean, it's not supposed to really be the PERFECT fit, like a shirt, or pants, because you want flexibility, right? A little loose for mobility, or loose for layering.

Anyways, I did like the Stealth Hoodie's hood, the MM review talked about it.

Ok...so, how do I order from Alaska Gun? I sent them an email, but they don't have like an "Add to Cart" button, or anything like that/ :o

To be honest, I only know that Alaska Gun carries TAD gear stuff because Patrick was talking about it on the USN. Never ordered from them before.

Ahh...lol, well, I emailed them. If I don't get anything back by tomorrow, I'll probably end up buying the one on Ebay (I'm pretty sure it's theirs, because it's from Alaska and they only have it in Small.)

Oh, and does the 10th Anniv. Stealth Hoodie only come in ME green, or other colors too? Because they didn't really indicate a color on their website...

I picked up one of the few 10th Anniversary Stealth Hoodies from Alaska Gun. Good communication and service.

Given the cooling weather in Wisconsin, it really hasn't done much against the cold, but stops the wind well enough. I throw on a fleece pullover and it's just fine for the 20F temperatures we've been getting. I'll probably make the most use of it on hiking trips from spring to fall, but I have warmer coats for the classic Midwestern winters. I do like all the little features of the hoodie, however. Pocket placement is convenient although I'm still trying to get used to wear I put my keys every time I go out.

By the way, the 10th Anniversary Stealth Hoodie only comes in the gray-green color as demonstrated in r.ocelot's earlier post.

I picked up one of the few 10th Anniversary Stealth Hoodies from Alaska Gun. Good communication and service.

Given the cooling weather in Wisconsin, it really hasn't done much against the cold, but stops the wind well enough. I throw on a fleece pullover and it's just fine for the 20F temperatures we've been getting. I'll probably make the most use of it on hiking trips from spring to fall, but I have warmer coats for the classic Midwestern winters. I do like all the little features of the hoodie, however. Pocket placement is convenient although I'm still trying to get used to wear I put my keys every time I go out.

By the way, the 10th Anniversary Stealth Hoodie only comes in the gray-green color as demonstrated in r.ocelot's earlier post.

Yeah, I emailed them and all, but they only have the Dark Gray version... :( I don't think that that gray will go all too well with Coyote and Multicam, so.... :flamed:

So, I can think about waiting until January to get the "rhink skin" V3.0, or save up a few more $$ and get the Arc'Teryx.

• 7 months later...

Archived