Echo 1 M79 Grenade Launcher Review

Echo 1 M79 Grenade Launcher Review

I just recently bought an Echo1 M79 grenade launcher for scenario games and for the NAM thing. Craft Apple Works and Echo1 Joined forces to provide affordable launchers for the airsoft market but the affordable price is not without its consequences as Echo1’s M79 version sacrifices key strong points in structure. The Echo1 M79 is all plastic and the main body (Trigger Housing) that holds the barrel and the butt stock together is all plastic and too me that is the weak point as its possible while I’m loading a shell that the barrel can snap off one day if it was dropped or ran into. Already the stock is coming loose and every time I tighten the stock it gets loose again. This stock wobble I think is contributed to the plastic trigger housing because the stock bolt screws in a plastic hole of the main body. The flip up sight is all plastic unlike the CAW and the barrel like the original CAW version is all plastic. I have yet to battle test the durability of the gun and now I just have to wait and see how long this M79 will last. Over all I should have bought CAW’s original M79 because the trigger housing is all metal but I learned the hard way of being impatient and got something where its longevity is questionable. For now I’ll just have be extra careful with this Echo1 M79 and hope I don’t get more bad luck with it. I get what I paid for; however this gun may perform great but I shall see when I get to field it in battle.

The only altering of the gun that I did was spray painting the plastic grip and butt stock a cherry wood color and it looks way better than the dull original brown color.

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00472.jpg

DSC00471.jpg

DSC00467.jpg

Pros: Cheaper than the Original CAW M79 Grenade Launcher

Very light to carry

Looks cool especially when doing a NAM impression

Cons: Mostly Plastic and lacks essential metal parts

Feels more like a toy

Butt stock wobble problem even after tightening the stock bolt

Limited spare parts

Edited by retrofuzzbox

hate to say, but when i first saw the pic, before i read the review, the first thing i thought was "that wood looks ######". it actually looks like red plastic. my CAW M79's wood looks absolutely amazing. do you have a pic of what it used to look like ?

hate to say, but when i first saw the pic, before i read the review, the first thing i thought was "that wood looks ######". it actually looks like red plastic. my CAW M79's wood looks absolutely amazing. do you have a pic of what it used to look like ?

Yeah I concure that it does need work for sure, I did not manage to get pics before I painted it. I've seen some people mod their plastic AK's stock and grips to make them look like real wood and I'm gong to try that.

• 3 months later...

Could you swap the plastic wood parts for a real wood kit? And also could you swap out the plastic trigger guard for a metal one? That would probably up the durability quite a bit. I am looking at getting an M79 this year, but with all the shady reviews I might just suck it up and by the metal CAW version.

This may sound crazy but I think I'm going to get one and spray the wood black and throw some grip tape on it, I know I'm raping the heritage but I think it'll look much better.

Having said that I think I'll wait until I see one for sale in the classifieds before I spend $180 on it.

• 2 weeks later...