"sonic grenade"

thewallhitme

first off the part in square brackets is just history of the idea and not really neccassery

[before i go off telling everyone my plans as to what im going to do, ill tell u all how [this idea started off. my dad and i like to keep things cheap, and as everyone knows, airsoft grenades in the long run are pretty non-cheap. so for us they aer a no goer. we both liked the idea of grenades but wanted something with as minimal cost as possible. the blank firing grenades were a possibility, but again the cost of blanks and the grenade its self is too high for us. so we began looking at different noise makers. pound shop capfiring grenades werent loud enough, cheap fireworks were too dangerous ect... so after a trip out to croydon pound shop my dad comes home with a pack of 5 small door alarms (all for a pound! madness!). anyway these alarms have to parts, a magnet, and the alarm its self. u put the magnet on the door frame, and the alarm on the door next to the magnet. switch the alarm on and when ever the magnet is too far from the alarm it goes off (ie the door opens). so one day we are getting all the gear ready for a skirmish and my dad brings on of these alarms with him. he gets "taken captive" and is left in a room with 6 enemy players. he pulls the alarm out and says to the marshal near him, "this is a sonic grenade" then flicks the switch and drops it on the floor. this chilling high pitched sound goes off and everyone looks round. the marshal is confused but then says " your all dead". ]

i want to build on this "sonic grenade " idea with this new personal alarm ive got. its got a pin on the top (similar to a nade) and when u pull it u get a horrific noise.

my idea is that i will strip the alarm down to its bare components, and fit them in a tennisball. then its more of a grenade shape and wont break if i throw it. i pull the pin, throw the ball and it makes a sound. at first that was as far as it got. then i thought, " a real grenade doesnt start exploding as soon as i pull the pin" so i thought about a delay from when i pull the pin to when it makes a sound. then i thought even more, "a real grenade doesnt just keep making a noise till u put the pin back in" so i thought about a timed cut off.

simply put what i need from you guys is a little help as to how i can add to the circuit so that this happens

1) pull the pin

2) 5 second (or any delay) delay

3)alarm goes off

4) after 5 seconds the alarm goes off.

any help as to which gizmos and gadgets i can add in to the circuit (and where they go) would be a grand help. if pictures of the personal alarm are needed i can sure as hell add them up later.

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4017.htm

here is a circuit that can be connected to a car siren or louder sound emiting device not quite any use for a granade but is usfull for somthing on a larger scale ie main objective of a mission "deactivate the EMP" for example

also this may help http://homepages.westminster.org.uk/electronics/games.htm

may also help http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/555timer.htm

most of the parts for any of these times circuits can be bought from electrical shops like maplins for pennys

cheers guys. i am going to cut hole into the tennis ball to allow the sound to come out of it. the finished grenade will be wrapped in black fabric. the finished grenade is a long way off yet so im not so bothered about those parts yet. once the circuit is up and running ill look into the casing.

Thanks for reminding me! :) Really want to make one as Im too young to use pyros but that looks a bit technical... Dont know what an NPN is or where I could get a burst unit...

Ill try to find out but if anyone makes a more simply explained or actually makes one be sure to post pics and exact components please. :D

The Unconventional Airsoft guy made something very similar to what you're looking to make. I only skimmed over the plans, but they look a little complex for anyone without a decent knowledge of electronics.

Edit: Forgot the link. :rolleyes:

http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/sonic-grenades/

The Unconventional Airsoft guy made something very similar to what you're looking to make. I only skimmed over the plans, but they look a little complex for anyone without a decent knowledge of electronics.

Edit: Forgot the link. :rolleyes:

http://imakeprojects.com/Projects/sonic-grenades/

His "deluxe" model looks really impressive. This might be a great little device to use until the Airsoft manufacturers come up with a decent projectile grenade.

What, that I CANNOT end games on my own as a grenade into the bunker at my site wins the game on an attack the fort game, yet I am not allowed to use BFGs or pyros?

This seems like a perfect solution, free for reuse and unrestricted.

lol domz ur trying to steal my idea at UW. ill have to have a word with deano, just to make sure i get all the credit :P

if i manage to work out how the hell to make one ill let u know. although with my electronics knowledge ull probably get there first.

hah lol, that i make projects.com link has exactly what im looking for.

"If the pin is pulled while the SAFETY is not pressed, the LED begins flashing immediately and the 5 second countdown begins right away. When the grenade "goes off" after the 5 second fuse, the alarm sounds for 5 seconds after which the alarm turns off. After 60 seconds (and every 10 seconds thereafter) the LED will blink and the alarm will "chirp" briefly until the pin is replaced."

why not put in a shock sensor instead of a delay timer (a weighted spring as a contact would do) , switch on , throw , "explodes" on impact , resets after 10 secs or so.

Thats what I'm trying to build although not with a siren , I want to try to make an electronic "flash" grenade ( for use at night games at Urban Assault - you cant use pyro at night the neighbours complain!) I was thinking about a clear rubber ball with a shock sensor and a couple of disposable camera flash units inside.

Any suggestions?

Jim

i did think about using a shock detonation system, but i would like to keep the nade as real as possible in its function br the exploding. because grenades have a tendency not to go exactly where the are wanted, i think a fuse simulator would be better suited.

in RS contacts, grenades are more often used to make sure an enemy position is clear, or to flush the enemy from that position. the idea is to have a squad/fire section cover the grenadier as he throws the grenade. more enemy are killed before the grenade has gone off than by the grenade its self. this is because the enemy often exposes its self when trying to kill the grenadier before he sends the grenade, or because they are running away. in both cases the enemy is usually quickly shot.

i want to replicate this idea in airsoft using a fuse. i want to be able to cook the grenade, to throw it in on full fuse and kill the enemy as they come out, throw the nade in and let the enemy scramble to throw it back and more inportantly i want to have time to run away if i accidentally drop it. :P

do let me know how it goes with the flash grenade idea as i might want to copy it for a flashbang type grenade.

Archived