Lawyer question - Property Damage

furiousbob

Why not, this is America after all. If you can set your new RV on cruise control and go into the back to make some coffee, causea huge wreck, and sue the manufacturer afterwards for not stating that cruise control actually couldnt drive the vehicle, then you should be able to.

US or no US, if somebody did that to my drive, I'd take him to court. You got his license plate number? You got his tyre tracks in your drive? You got independent witnesses? Then you got a case.

But one thing; the cement was still wet when you removed the 'Wet Cement' sticker; why did you do this?

It's America, there's no law saying anything has to make sense

Someone can pour hot coffee into their lap and then sue because there weren't any warnings on the cup saying that it was hot.

Here in America you can get drunk, wrap your car around a telephone pole and then sue the people who made the car for your injuries.

You can go another route and sue the people who made the dump truck for not making sure the people who were going to use their product were safe enough

All it takes is a lawyer, who needs evidence or witnesses when you have emotion (or if all else fails you make it up as you go along).

Isn't America great? <_<

There is no fundemental difference between the US and UK legal system in terms of suing really, it's just a matter of assertion.

The UK system is obviously differently structured (solicitors instead of lawyers, barristers, magistrates etc...), but we can sue people for pretty much the same reason you can. However, the British are notorious for 'not wanting to make a fuss'; that's not to say we won't complain, but legal matters take time, and we normally run out of steam well before that :)

A mate of mine used one of those accident group thingies when a tow truck smacked him in the eye as he was waiting to cross the road. It took forever to get compensation (over a year, for sure), and that's how most of us view the British legal system; slow, and not really worth the effort for a few quid.

Instead of a few dollars, you can go for the millions, this is America mind you. There are people here who see a hot cup of coffee without any warning signs and all they can see are dollar signs as they pour it into their lap.

Lawsuits are the new way to make money, who needs to work when you have a lawyer that'll sue everybody under the sun.

You should sue everybody that ever had anything to do with the dump truck (mechanics, parts manufacturers, etc..), the construction company, and of course the driver.

Then you should make an emotional plea before congress (or at least the Kalifornia state legislature, I'm sure they'd listen) to have all dumptrucks banned because in the wrong hands they can cause property damage

Let's ban dumptrucks, we'll call it the furiousbob bill to protect sidewalks

Isn't America great?? <_<

Not as bad as here in the UK.

People must be employed, as unemployment, even in a way over-crowded country, is BAD, according to the government.

So...how to employ these people...

How about the roads? They're fine. But let's make people dig them up anyway, and spend 9 weeks laying a small section of tarmac in order to employ people! Yeah, that's a great idea!

...and no, I'm not lying. Every day, going to school, for the next 9 weeks, I'll have to sit in a tailback because they're resurfacing the dual-carriageway. What a load of (knackers - rhino).

In America, in my experience, they resurface some roads in a day. One truck scrapes the surface off the road, then right behind it another lays the tarmac, then a mile behind that, another paints the stripes, then behind that, a trail of cars and some guys directing them. You drive THROUGH the roadworks, not around them, so traffic actually moves most of the time.

I'm fed up of the UK. I'm moving to the USA when I'm older, that's for sure...

I've spent my fair share of time going through detours and waiting to get through the construction zone, not to mention the lack of attention paid to some of our roads. <_<

I'd love to see this machine you talk of that rips up the asphalt and then paves the road right after. It took our local road crews 5 months to repave a 4 mile stretch of 4-lane highway (that was in perfectly fine shape to begin with). :rolleyes:

Believe me, America's not everything you see in the media, especially the ###### put out by our government that says America is the land of liberty/freedom (according to some of the foreign media that I see depicts Americans as arrogant and stupid, those are the ones that usually have any semblance of truth)

Just remember to look at what America really is before deciding to move here <_<

I'm still curious what furiousbob intends to do. I mean, the cement was clearly still wet, yet you removed the sign... There was no way the truck driver could have known, surely? And he probably thought 'Uh-oh' and legged it when he saw what happened. You have to re-lay the entire thing again? That does indeed suck.

Archived