Vega Force Company FN SCAR Light Gen. III

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my VFC Scar L just arrived. Making me the proud owner of a DBoys SCAR, a WE SCAR, and a VFC SCAR.

I have to say I was let down a little by the VFC. Build is fine but the materials just didnt give that tactile satisfaction that the WE does. Feels better than the DBoys, if more fragile, even if thats an illusion due to the higher grade aluminum in the VFC being lighter.

Hands down, the WE has the best looks/feel. But thats not fair being an electric to gas comparison. Still, it just looks good and feels amazing.

Honestly, I think even the DBoys shoots somewhat better than the VFC. I know it packs more fps according to my chrono. But on the other hand I've reshimmed the DBoys and rewired it and put in a Magnum motor. so it didnt come shooting better.

I'd expected more out of the wiring on the VFC - its really bad wire in the rear stock, thin, rigid, and is alreadt splitting its insulation from bending.

I had to bend the faux-bolt to make it engage the bolt stop, it didnt work out of the box. And I have to use my fingernail to depress the bearing to rotate the hex tool to remove it. The charging handle was REALLY rattly in its groove. Luckily the WE one fits so I'll swap over that and the WE's better rear site during the winter while I dont use the GBB.

The kicker was that I had to modify my VFC EGLM to fit solidly on the VFC SCAR. Had to file off a couple millimeters of material at the back this time to make it engage the rail positively. Otherwise it *looked*like it was solidly clamped on, but one good yank at the rear and it plopped off. Fixed that with some filing of the material to get the grooves to line up, but still, this is a VFC EGLM not fitting on a VFC SCAR? There's just something not right about that.

Having said all that, I like alot about this gun, and I'm going to use it at an event this weekend to see how it performs in what matters: skirmishing. I expect it will perform well for a stock gun, and all the niggles I mention above are easy for me to remedy. I dont expect it to remain stock for real long either...

Overall, glad to have joined the VFC brotherhood.

More later.

Edited by Hillslam

Update: Just tore it down for a quick spring change to recover some of this lost fps. Chrono'd it after I put the included short CQB inner barrel on it and it netted 290fps - utterly ridiculous.

So I get it open and lo and behold there's absolutely no compression whatsoever. One nested oring later and we get full dead stop compression. Throw in a well worn pdi 150% spring thas done a few seasons in my SAW and she fires 380fps on the button. Saw no need to mess with the bushings at this fps.

Edited by Hillslam
  • 2 months later...
Update:

I replaced the tension spring on top of the unit and now the gun is feeding normally. Like i mentioned before, the hopup unit was moving forward when the gun cycled. Increasing the tension on the spring prevents this from happening.

Have you checked motor conection?I have a similar problem and there was the fault.

• 3 weeks later...

As the VFC SCAR has been out for quite a while now and we also have H and SSR variants, I'm keen to know what the general opinion is of this gun after a few months skirmishing. I've read a lot of negative threads on the VFC SCAR's intenrals (plastic bushings etc.) but I was under the impression that these components were polymer (extremly durable, possibly better?). Most of the negativity seems to be from VFC non-owners. The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of purchasing a VFC SCAR H this week but I'd like to hear from the owners of this gun to hear their opinions on the internals. I have the money to fully upgrade the internals, but do I really need to - Is it that necessary?

Thanks guys :)

Mine is still running great 2+ years down the road with the only changes a soft hopup rubber and King Arms lowcaps. My only frustration with it is the tiny battery compartment still but maybe the Madbull Life-Po will fit.

Mine is still running great 2+ years down the road with the only changes a soft hopup rubber and King Arms lowcaps. My only frustration with it is the tiny battery compartment still but maybe the Madbull Life-Po will fit.

Really? That's good to know - No internal probs, even with the original plastic Bushings? What type of battery are you currently using? I was thinking of switching the spring just to add a little more fps (want it to be between 350-370) and possibly change the barrel to a tightbore 6.01 but that's it.

Out of interest, who is using the SCAR, specifically the H and SSR in black? I'm guessing no-one...

No one. As far as i know these guns are only issued in FDE. Also, i do not believe the SSR is in circulation anywhere beyond its test circles.

I ran an Intellect 1600 mAh 7 cells 8.4V a MP5 battery. Just too small.

I have a VFC 416 that was upgraded when I bought it, it had seen hard use before, and it's still being used. It has the same bushings and they're looking good.

No one. As far as i know these guns are only issued in FDE. Also, i do not believe the SSR is in circulation anywhere beyond its test circles.

Before the "recession" budget cuts, The Irish defence forces were looking at the FN Scar light in black as a replacement to the AUG A1. So far ive only ever seen prototype versions in black but I believe it will be available in this colour all the same.,

On The VFC's reliability, its not as good as its made out to be, there is the "nylon" bushings, which are plastic bushings lets not kid anyone. There's the spring loaded shims which are a nice idea in theory but don't work as well as just shimming the gearbox properly. The motor's in my experience have a life of maybe 40k rounds and the receiver is a bit more flexible than that of the G&G and Star. Most will agree the VFC wiring is very poor and often breaks at the joint to the fuse.

That said, Its got some really nice touches to it and I still think its a lovely gun so dont be put off,. the other brand scars have their pro's and con's too, I bought the VFC, Star and Dboys versions as i have a fetish for the Scar, but haven't really touched them since getting the superior Masada. :D

Thanks but I meant issued.

They haven't been issued in the biblical sense of the word to anyone.

The US SOCOM is trialing them. Rangers are carrying them in A-stan.

Most of the versions on trial have only been FDE. Some black stuff was around at the begining of this in 2003 but they didn't appear to be very common. The Rangers are out with the S and the H. Other publicity shy folks may have other versions.

The trial process can take a very long time.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No clue if this would be something stupid to ask, but since VFC's have an easy-breakdown is there a possibility of putting a systema gearbox (wired to the front) and then a peq box to hold the battery? Ive had a vfc m4 but sold it and did upgrade the gearbox with systema parts but not a entire gearbox.