DBoyi's KAR98k - WWII01

Yep, I have a German WWII Mauser and the only bare steel is the butt plate, and take down discs.

Here are some pictures of it if anyone wants a example of a worn and well used look.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/evi...oba/k98k004.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/evi...oba/k98k003.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/evi...oba/k98k002.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/evi...oba/k98k001.jpg

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I have a German WWII Mauser and the only bare steel is the butt plate, and take down discs.

Here are some pictures of it if anyone wants a example of a worn and well used look.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/evi...oba/k98k004.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/evi...oba/k98k003.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/evi...oba/k98k002.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l165/evi...oba/k98k001.jpg

Nice example, where did you get that? I got my ffl a few weeks ago and I've been all over gunbroker.com. And Guinness I sent out those striper clips today. Sorry for the delay but I had to go buy stamps and I've been swamped for the past couple of days, enjoy.

And for anybody else who has a dboys k98 and wants striper clips they are $1 each shipped. Pm me and I'll send em out. If you dont know what a striper clip is, its a little piece of metal that holds 5 shells. It goes into the top of the mauser and makes loading a heck of allot faster.

And Guinness I sent out those striper clips today. Sorry for the delay but I had to go buy stamps and I've been swamped for the past couple of days, enjoy.

Thanks man!

EviliBoba, know that your earlier rifle pic was part of the inspiration when weathering the K98- Thanks!

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness

thanks so much for answering my questions. i also have a few more. if you find that the spring isnt upgradable could you show photos of the hopup and barrel. i was toying with the notion of buying one of thes guns and slapping a tanio koba twist barrel and see what the gun can do. and find out what the inner barrel length is.

but if your not up to taking the gun down that far thats cool. that idea was just circling around in my mind and i figure if fps and accuracy upgrades were a practical improvement perhaps the 5 round shell capasity can be overlooked by its performance.

also, how far does the gun shoot. and how accurate is it stock? is the spring upgradeable? :P

I wonder if you can get a black aftermarket bolt handle. :P

Hmmm I don't even know where you can buy a real K98 stock, but I'd love to fit one on.

Well the bolt handle is an integral part of the bolt itself- the only part that separates (other than stripping the bolt down to springs and parts etc) is the round knob-

...what I'm struggling to say is...the bolt handle don't be coming off! :P

Now...I have been toying with the idea of trying my 'bluing' technique on this gun over the coming weekend- maybe the barrel and receiver and all- I know already that the bolt itself being a very 'smooth' chrome-like aluminum or whatever it is, just isn't going to hold the paint that well- however, if you look at the pics of the real-steel guns and bolt I posted on the other page, they show 'silvering' also. My main concern is the bolt handle itself- as most of the remarks about the gun concern the color of the bolt handle, I have been thinking about trying to work on that, but as it is also the single most 'handled' (pun intended :P ) part of the gun, I want to try and decide if it will be worth the effort.

I think the bluing effect on the barrel itself and breech/receiver will look great, especially after I add some 'wear', I'm just not sure about the bolt yet. As those of you that have received yours can attest, the bolt handle and bot itself, while they are certainly shiny, they still have a darker, almost graphite cast to them. It just doesn't show that way very well on film.

Well the bolt handle is an integral part of the bolt itself- the only part that separates (other than stripping the bolt down to springs and parts etc) is the round knob-

...what I'm struggling to say is...the bolt handle don't be coming off! :P

Now...I have been toying with the idea of trying my 'bluing' technique on this gun over the coming weekend- maybe the barrel and receiver and all- I know already that the bolt itself being a very 'smooth' chrome-like aluminum or whatever it is, just isn't going to hold the paint that well- however, if you look at the pics of the real-steel guns and bolt I posted on the other page, they show 'silvering' also. My main concern is the bolt handle itself- as most of the remarks about the gun concern the color of the bolt handle, I have been thinking about trying to work on that, but as it is also the single most 'handled' (pun intended :P ) part of the gun, I want to try and decide if it will be worth the effort.

I think the bluing effect on the barrel itself and breech/receiver will look great, especially after I add some 'wear', I'm just not sure about the bolt yet. As those of you that have received yours can attest, the bolt handle and bot itself, while they are certainly shiny, they still have a darker, almost graphite cast to them. It just doesn't show that way very well on film.

I ordered one from Boomarms yesterday, but I didn't specify anything about trades/orange tip as I assume they will take care of that when shipping to the U.S.

I just hope the shiny bolt isn't too cheap/fake looking lol. In the pics, the shiny silver bolt handle stands out from the rest of the rifle alot :(

hmmm, guiness could you give me the demensions of the shells. and how wide the breech is? im going to design a hard leather shell catcher that will both save shells and allow you to use stripper clips. i have tons of leather (bladesmithing is fun lol) and ill also design it to clip on and off to the rifle so it wont be permanent. im 50 bucks away from getting the rifle. my friend offered to buy me one for xmas, but i have to pay for hk shipping. lol. and im laid off. curses.

but yes if i perfect the design i will do my best to make it efficient lightwieght and as out of the way as possible. shouldnt be hard i have plenty of materials to work with. and if all goes well i can sell them at a fair price (like 25 bucks) and buy more shells once i get the rifle. :P

speaking of the shiny bolt. perhaps its to mimic the chrome lining of internals. during the 30s it was becoming popular, even the kalashnikov in the 50s benifited from chrome lined internals. but imo if you dont want it so shiny but paint wont stick simply take a wire brush wheel )which i have in my shop) or 500-800 grit sandpaper and dull the bolts look. be careful about the bolt itself tho, roughing up the actual bolt surface and not just the handle may result in a less smooth operation.

i also have a drill press (handy if you want to upgrade a vsr or perhaps the spring in these rifles) i will perform any custom work you want on these guns in exchange for parts, gear, etc related to this gun if you guys want. i really want this rifle bad lol. and since ihave a full metal shop in my garage it would be a piece of cake. just pay for shipping, i wont charge for labor, but it would be nice to recieve a donation of shells, clips, maybe some pouches. etc for my services. if your uncomfortable with sending the whole gun, send only the parts as it would be useless for me to con you with them.

im a gun tech at rhode island paintball. my friend and i were frequent shoppers there and pretty much the head of the local team HCCCRI. so the guy hired us to fix airsoft guns on occasion. so u can check both websites if your concerned if im legit. my specialty is modifying gbbs spring rifles, and custom cosmetic stuff. my friend specializes in gearbox repair.

~jase

Edited by khyronthekitsune
hmmm, guiness could you give me the demensions of the shells. and how wide the breech is? im going to design a hard leather shell catcher that will both save shells and allow you to use stripper clips. i have tons of leather (bladesmithing is fun lol) and ill also design it to clip on and off to the rifle so it wont be permanent. im 50 bucks away from getting the rifle. my friend offered to buy me one for xmas, but i have to pay for hk shipping. lol. and im laid off. curses.

but yes if i perfect the design i will do my best to make it efficient lightwieght and as out of the way as possible. shouldnt be hard i have plenty of materials to work with. and if all goes well i can sell them at a fair price (like 25 bucks) and buy more shells once i get the rifle. :P

Well you can already use stripper clips,

but I will measure the shell casings this afternoon :)

A shell catcher would be nice but you have to think of the overall look of the gun with a little bag on the side. I'm thinking of doing custom wood stocks for these things. If anybody is interested pm me. I think that you'd ship the rifle to me, and I'd cut a wooden turk stock down and fit it. This of course will be for a nominal fee but for the 1st person its free. But you need to provide the donor stock and shipping both ways. If you dont know where to get a stock I'll kindly show you where to get the cheapest one.

But you need to provide the donor stock and shipping both ways. If you dont know where to get a stock I'll kindly show you where to get the cheapest one.

Numrich has Israeli Mod98 stocks (with the widened channel) right now.

Edited by M0ldyM!LK
The rifle looks awesome, but Guinness are you sure theres a little slot for the stripper clip to fit in? That'll be amazingly awesome if there is, and hopefully the shells fit on the stripper clip...

Page 2, second image on the page my friend :)

And khyronthekitsune,

The length of the casing is 7.6cm x 1.1 cm

Slainte!

Edited by Guinness

I've bought a few stripper clips from eBay, and some of them don't seem to work.

The ones that do work are kind of a tight fit for the shells, and require some force to push them in the magazine.

I've widened the gaps a little and it did seem to help a little bit, but it still kind of sucks.

I wonder if the Marushin stripper clips work better, I recall reading somewhere that they have slightly bigger dimensions.

Edited by Lt.Fenix

Walton_County can probably chime in on that as well, he's who I'm getting mine from-

Heck, the way I see it, it's still a hundred-dollah gun- If the stripper clips work, great, if I have to do a bit of dremel work on the stripper cut in the receiver, I'm still getting my moneys worth out of the piece.

If I wanted everything, I'd have bought the Marushin or Tanaka-

Slainte!

Heck, the way I see it, it's still a hundred-dollah gun- If the stripper clips work, great, if I have to do a bit of dremel work on the stripper cut in the receiver, I'm still getting my moneys worth out of the piece.

If I wanted everything, I'd have bought the Marushin or Tanaka-

I'm not sure what impressions my posts are giving you, but I love the gun.

For 80 USD before shipping, this thing is absolutely kickass... my arms get tired from fooling around with it so much :-p.

I was just letting people know my situation with the RS stripper clips.

The Marushin has a plastic bolt, and the Tanaka is way too expensive and not as much fun to screw around with... even if money weren't a deciding factor, I think I would still be leaning towards the DBoyi.

I really hope they make a Springfield 1903A4, the sniper version.. a Mosin Nagant, and a Lee Enfield.. I would buy all of them.

Now if they made gas versions... that would be ultimate.

[edit] Also I don't see how 8 USD for 2 shells is expensive... that means 10 shells is only 40 USD, or 20 USD for a set of 5 shells. I don't think I've ever seen metal airsoft shells that were cheaper than this. Even KWC python shells are 24 USD at the cheapest for a set.

Edited by Lt.Fenix
I'm not sure what impressions my posts are giving you, but I love the gun.

For 80 USD before shipping, this thing is absolutely kickass... my arms get tired from fooling around with it so much :-p.

I was just letting people know my situation with the RS stripper clips.

The Marushin has a plastic bolt, and the Tanaka is way too expensive and not as much fun to screw around with... even if money weren't a deciding factor, I think I would still be leaning towards the DBoyi.

I really hope they make a Springfield 1903A4, the sniper version.. a Mosin Nagant, and a Lee Enfield.. I would buy all of them.

Now if they made gas versions... that would be ultimate.

[edit] Also I don't see how 8 USD for 2 shells is expensive... that means 10 shells is only 40 USD, or 20 USD for a set of 5 shells. I don't think I've ever seen metal airsoft shells that were cheaper than this. Even KWC python shells are 24 USD at the cheapest for a set.

Oh no brother- that was just a general statement, although re-reading it I could see that it appears directed your way- my bad :(