Sorry for the lack of pictures.....

I got this 2 years ago in a trade for a set of DPM PLCE webbing with an RSM at cadets. Basicallly the swap was because, being a short *albartroth*, he found it uncomfortable wearing a bergen without the support of the rear PLCE pouches. So he got the webbing and i got the assault vest for a pittance compared to its value.

The vest can be fully adjusted on the shoulders for height and on the front for chest and waist size via 3 quick release clips. Also on the inside of the vest there is 5-6 belt loops to wear a belt with it- for pistol holsters? The assault vest is of mesh construction inside allowing ventilation, but the front and sides are made of DPM fabric to wich the pouches are stitched.

Starting with the left hand pouches.... The first pouch is a dedicated ammunition pouch that takes 3x sa80, m16 or other 5.56mm variant mags. The next pouch can take 3 mags again but doesnt have the mag dividers, so it can be used for anything. This pouch was the home of my SA80 cleaning kit and hexistove throughout most of its life. The last pouch can again take three mags, but its position is quite awkward to get them out of as it is close to the small of your back.

These three pouches all have quick release clips on the front aswell as a velcro fastening that can be covered up. The velcro is best used in those quick mag change moments. The "dump empty down smock, load and run moments."

Above these three are two field dressing pouches. These are just a little bit too big for gbb mags to be held safely. These two are secured by presstuds and are best for.....field dressings lol. Above this is a small strap that can hold a smoke grenade or torch etc. I normally use this one for a right angled torch or to attach a field dressing to.

On the right hand side there are three utility pouches at waist level, all of which can take a waterbottle or similar sized objects. These pouches have the fast release clips aswell as drawstring closings to them. Above this is a rectangular pouch closed by a zip and velcro flap which drops over it. This pouch is great for absolutely anything small you can think of: knives, cam cream, combi tools ,ear defenders etc.

Both sides of the vest have a large dump pouch that zips all the way down. The one on the left handside has a presstud closed holster sewn into it. Originally intended for a browning, but a glock 19 will fit in with a squeeze.

Theres only wo problems that ive found with this vest. Firstly the stitching is starting to undo itself on the dump pouch. This started becuase i wore a 349 patrol radio under the vest- the extra bulk started to tear the vest. The other place where the stitching is undoing itself is on one of the right hand pouches. This was again because of years of abuse, where ive landed on that side everytime ive had to take cover.

Another problem that i could see squaddies having- not airsofters- is that there is no place to put an SA80 bayonet. I managed to get around this by attaching the PLCE bayonet frog to the rear adjustment straps. Hopefully it will stay there lol.

After having tried out chestrigs, 58, PLCE and this assault vest i would easily say that this one is my favourite. It takes 9 STANAG 5.56mm mags (1 in your rifle so 10) and all the gear you would possibly need to carry for a days skirmish. After looking at various webtex copies i would have to say that the Wyvern version is better. The material is soo much more hard wearing and will take much more abuse. If only the price tag was a little lower......

I hope this helps anyone looking into assault vests.

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/dptav1na.html Looks like wyvern no longer make my version of the vest. The new one only has 1 field dressing pouch.

Ian -

I'm in the process of retiring my Wyvern AAAV (new version), in favour of DPM MOLLE kit on a TT Modular vest. This is so I can have the AV layout I want (with pouches on the back as well as the front), not what the manufacturer thinks is best.

Never the less, for an assault vest in a fixed configuration, the Wyvern vest is pretty damn close to perfect - good write-up, btw.

Yeah it is a great bit of kit. Im thinking of possibly swapping to using PLCE webbing again in the future though as i'll probably use STAR mags. Cheers Roger.

Ian

Can't beat good old PLCE for woodland. Any chest rig/webbing is a pain in the *albatross* while lying down.

True, assault vests can be a pain in the chest when going prone, but then so can PLCE in the stomach, so thre're pros and cons, as with all things, lol

Thing I like about AVs, as opposed to webbing, is that unlike webbing, which you have to muck about with until it doesn't bounce around (bungee cords, etc), AVs stay put from the word go.

As to modular vests, as I mentioned above, you can configure the pouch layout to just the way you want it, if you want a radio pouch on your upper back, presto, you can stick it there. With PLCE, you're limitted to where the yoke risers and hooks are; likewise, PLCE hasn't really got a place for a water bladder. You have to get a small backpack-style one. With a half-decent AV, you get aouch dedicated for it :)

Like I said: Pros and Cons!

BTW - I started gaming using PLCE, but droped it in favour of an AV!

My somewhat large (old-style) five pence worth, anyhoo ;)

Dunno about that, mate: I had to keep re-setting my bloody belt kit 'cause it was so damned uncomfortable all the sodding time, hence the transition to an AV! Hell, my entire SECTION went and built up a fund to bulk-buy (common thus uniform kit - I LOVED it when we were allowed to do things like that, lol) a load of US-made AVs in OD in my last two years in the RMP(v), lol

And how much does it hurt dissasembling webbing? This much <------------------------------------------> Those stupid little metal clips grrrr. Another great thing about the assault vest is that you dont need to buy more pouches- you have them all allready.

The one major problem i found is that the quick release clips are hard to do up under fire. I allways used to have to roll onto my side to do them up! lol.

The Combat Kit MAS pouches are similar to PLCE clips, in that you only need one hand to do them up. A review is soon to appear on Practical Airsoft in regard to these pouches, btw, once the UK retailer has had a chance to go over the draft ;)

Modular Attachment System, it's Combat Kit's name for their MOLLE-compatible pouches. I've got a few of these in DPM, and while there are a couple of issues (velco final attachment after threading of attachment straps, rather than press stud), and a couple of other niggles, they're rather well made. And the ONLY make that I know of that come in British DPM for MOLLE!

A review on them is soon to appear on Practical Airsoft, so you'll see more info on them at that time :)

Edited for telling sperrors

Edited by Redcap