Echo-1 M4 RIS/Noveske Afghan 14.5'' review

AEG – ECHO-1 M4 RIS/Noveske Afghan 14.5

The best ACM AEGs… ever?

- by ardrummer292, 11/26/2007

JP%20ECHO-M4RIS.jpg

Real-steel info:

(taken from Wikipedia)

“The M4 Carbine is a family of firearms tracing its lineage back to earlier carbine versions of the M16, all based on the original AR-15 made by ArmaLite. It is a shorter and lighter version of the M16A2 assault rifle, achieving 80% parts commonality with the M16A2. The M4 has selective fire options including semi-automatic and three-round burst (like the M16A2), while the M4A1 has a "full auto" option in place of the three-round burst.”

Airsoft version history:

Echo-1 is fairly new on the airsoft scene, making their debut within the past couple years. As a long-time TM fanboy, I just wrote them off as “just another cheapsoft company” who would likely crank out garbage akin to CYMA, WELL, and other infamous Chinese manufacturers. Oh, how the times have changed.

My first experience with clones came about as one of my friends decided he wanted to get back into airsoft, but keep it on the cheap. I read quite a few reviews and recommended the A&K M4 S-System. After numerous compression and motor pinion gear problems, I wrote off all clones as junk. Not exactly a fair judgment, but I figured the only way to go was tried-and-true Tokyo Marui.

Several months later, my team co-founder and friend wanted a compact backup rifle for his upgraded TM G-Spec. Echo-1 had just come onto the scene, but I paid them little heed due to my previous clone experience. This all changed when I read FarEast’s review of the Echo-1 M16A4.

Knowing FarEast’s background as both a respected member of the airsoft community and a tough critic, it truly surprised me to find that he actually LIKED this knockoff rifle! Skeptical, I recommended the Echo-1 M4 Commando to my friend.

4 Echo-1 AEGs later, my team has truly fallen in love with the company. For around $140, you can have pretty much any AR variant your heart may desire, complete with magazine, battery, and charger. Not only that, but the power and accuracy are astounding (regardless of the price)!

Enough of this lovey drivel, on with the review! :P

Purchasing:

I bought this rifle from Evike, who are known for their great prices and selection. Unfortunately, they are also notorious for their awful customer service. I highly recommend placing your order over the phone, since you can have your salesperson physically check to make sure your items are in stock, then have them box it on the spot.

Even though I placed my order over the phone, Evike managed to somehow magically screw up my order anyway. Thankfully, it was only a minor mistake. The wrong street name was used, so it took a phone call to UPS (“Uh yeah, there isn’t an Indiana Street in Camby”) and a couple extra days for my package to arrive.

I arrived home from work to see a big brown box sitting on my bed. Like a rabid animal, I tore through the packaging to discover my new beauty. I tell you what, getting new airsoft stuff is better than opening presents at Christmas: you already know you got exactly what you wanted, and it NEVER gets old. :D

Thankfully, this toy comes with batteries included. Inside the box is the standard assortment of warning papers, manuals, the token small bag of 0.2g bbs, as well as the 8.4V NiMH mini battery, charger, 300rd hicap magazine, 4 rail covers, ugly-as-fook PEQ box, carry handle (whoops, supposed to come with a flip-up BUIS), and the rifle itself.

External parts:

The rifle looks great, although the gray plastic of the receiver is distinctly offset by the satin black metal of the RIS and stock tube. Metal parts include:

Flashhider

Outer barrel

Front and rear sights

RIS unit

Upper receiver rail

Magazine

Magazine release, fire selector, bolt release, trigger and guard, charging handle

Dust cover

Carry handle knobs and attachment rail

Motor plate (bottom of grip)

Stock tube

Sling swivels

The only plastic parts I found that should’ve been metal are the forward assist knob and carry handle. Honestly now, would it take that much extra effort to make those metal? Regardless, both are very sturdy and serve their purpose well.

Don’t be fooled, the metal parts are definitely pot metal. I’m not saying that they’re not sturdy, I just know better than to think that they’re actually steel. For a measly $155, I’ll accept the fact that the thing isn’t built like a PTW.

The plastic beats TM’s by a long shot. It’s sturdy stuff with a matte gray finish that has no issue with handling the stress of combat. I don’t particularly like the gray color, but I paint all my rifles anyway.

Alright, time to cover this thing from stem to stern:

Flashhider – standard fare M16-style birdcage. Note: the orange paint is bloody impossible to remove. I’ve tried on my teammates’ Echo-1 M4s without any success. Hence, I picked up a CA Vortex -14mm to replace it. Speaking of threading, it’s negative 14mm just like TM.

Outer barrel – metal as well, nothing terribly special about it. Has a notch for attachment of an M203, if you’re into that sort of thing.

RIS unit – attaches just like normal plastic handguards. Solid, heavy, and metal. Sliding the rail covers on is a bit stiff, but that’s better than them being too loose.

PEQ-2 battery box – really quite naff. Big and chunky, lacking any sort of realistic look… would it kill them to package the rifle with their nicer “aftermarket” PEQ-2 with stickers and whatnot? I suppose one perk is that it can almost hold a large 8.4V battery (just a half inch or so too short).

Delta ring assembly – VERY VERY stiff. I had to use a flathead screwdriver to pry the thing down far enough to remove the RIS unit. Due to this stiffness, however, the front end is rock-solid with zero flex or rotation.

Receiver – as mentioned before, the receiver is tough satin gray plastic. Inside the square indent on the operator’s left hand side, Echo-1 USA’s logo is inscribed in light gray. No other trademarks are present. Fit and finish of the receiver is great, no gaps or noticeable seams are present.

Controls – this includes the magazine release, fire selector, bolt release, trigger and guard, forward assist knob, charging handle, etc. All are sturdy and get the job done. The fire selector clicks positively into each fire mode, and is smooth in travel. Magazine release functions well. The bolt release and forward assist knob, although cosmetic, are well-crafted. When the charging handle is pulled, the dust cover flips open (a la TM).

Grip – I find the M4’s grip to be the most ergonomic out of all the guns I’ve handled. It has developed a very slight wobble, but I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.

Stock and tube – this is a 6-position/LE-style jobby, which I have no complaints about. The stock tube is solid, and wobble (if it develops) can be easily fixed by removing the endcap with a hex key and tightening the Phillips screw inside. The stock itself is made of the same sturdy plastic as the receiver, and is quite solid when attached to the rifle. It also has a fixed sling swivel attached to the bottom end of the stock (removed on mine, as it is useless for my purposes).

Internal parts:

Internals and I don’t get along at all. Hence, I’m not gonna crack the gearbox or disassemble much of anything. I do know that the gun comes with a brass inner barrel, which probably isn’t a tightbore judging by the looks of the rather grimy exterior.

It ain’t broke, so I’m not going to risk changing that by taking it apart. I’m just content that it works as well as it does. ;)

Operating procedures:

If you don’t know how to operate an AEG, please move out from the rock you’ve been living under and follow these instructions:

1. Charge battery.

2. Insert battery into PEQ unit/battery box and connect wires.

3. Load magazine.

4. Insert magazine into magwell.

5. Pull charging handle for effect.

6. Click fire selector off “Safe” and go to town.

Performance:

Ah, now time to show where this rifle really shines! I don’t have a range to shoot at, nor do I have a chrono to use, but I know what this thing can do on the field.

Effective point target range, with 0.25g bbs, is right around 120-130 feet. Area target range (i.e. bbs spread too far to hit a human torso every time) is right about 150 feet. I feel confident that I could hit a pop can every time at 75 feet, assuming perfect conditions.

The hopup unit quite simply kicks *albatross*, especially for a M4. It’s probably the second best shooting rifle I’ve ever owned; only my now-sold TM M14 SOCOM could beat this thing for flat trajectory.

Accuracy, on the other hand, is right on par with my late M14. There is the occasional flyer or hook shot, but I believe those were due to wind gusts at the site where I was playing.

Rate of fire with the stock battery is lacking at best. This gun needs a 9.6V for a decent cyclic rate, or for crisper semiauto function for you milsim guys. Thankfully, another player loaned me an Intellect 9.6V mini for the game. Semiauto was beautiful, not a single jam. Fullauto was… what, you use that?! Shame on you.

The poor man’s chrono rates the rifle right around 350-370 fps (punches through both sides of the can, but not the bottom). My team’s other 2 Echo-1 ARs chrono at 360 fps (M4 Commando) and 375 fps (M16 DMR) with 0.2g bbs, so this reading seems spot-on for the barrel length.

UPDATE (12/11/2007)

I printed a nice grouping at about 70 feet with a slight wind, traveling to the left. 0.25g bbs were used, the barrel was a little dirty from my most recent game, and the hopup was being a bit cranky. The grouping was 1.5'' wide by 3.5'' tall, not too bad considering the conditions.

Modifications/Customizations:

I’ve always had a thing for Noveske rifles, and I really needed a reason to justify my owning a Noveske shirt. So, I decided to build a replica of the Noveske Afghan 14.5''.

According to Noveske, the Afghan was created due to operator requests for a rifle that could shoot accurately at range while staying compact enough to be used from vehicles on mounted patrols. The Afghan answered this call, able to effectively engage point targets at over 700 yards (thanks to its polygonal-rifled stainless barrel) with readily-available GI ammo. The Afghan also uses a midlength gas system, making it cycle more reliably due to increased backpressure, even with the short 14.5’’ barrel. The Afghan features a 12.5’’ VLTOR VIS free-floating rail system, with aftermarket flashhiders, stocks, grips, and optics optional.

Yeah, talk about a daunting task. I was hoping to build a replica of this rifle… on a budget?!

First, I assembled a parts list for my rifle. I just wanted enough to get the basic look down at first, then worry about finer details later.

Basic parts list:

JBU M16 12’’ RAS – the absolute cheapest free-float RAS that comes in full-length flavor. It also attaches to the receiver in a manner that looks similar to the VIS.

CA Vortex flashhider – I’ve seen multiple pictures of realsteel Afghans with vortex flashhiders. Justified. ^^

CA SR15 flipup front sight – simple, effective, and relatively cheap.

Barska 1.25-4x 26mm scope – the magnification is low enough to be practical, and it looks like a Schmidt and Bender Short-Dot for under a tenth of the price.

Leapers medium profile 30mm mount base (up to 56mm objective) – instead of buying a replica SPR-E mount that is so often favored by Short-Dot users, I opted for this cheap $15 solution instead. Chances are good that it’ll be replaced in the near future by said mount.

Did it work? After a paintjob and a bit of real and artificial wear, you decide:

AfghanProtec011.jpg

Things left to buy/install:

Modstock with 9.6V battery, wire to rear

B-2 rear flipup BUIS

Bomber SPR-E mount

KA Noveske metal body

CA AG36, modify to RIS mount

Promy tightbore, KA hop unit, Big-Out H-nub, Guarder rubber (if I feel the need, which I don’t at the moment).

Pros/Cons:

+ Cheap

+ A no-frills great shooter

+ Solid and reliable

+ Entirely TM-compatible

+ Comes with everything you need to rock, right out of the box

+ 30 day warranty from Echo-1

- Stock battery is a bit lacking

- Fugly PEQ-2

- No trademarks

- Unattractive gray finish on receiver

Conclusion:

Like I said in the beginning, my team and I have fallen in love with Echo-1’s products. Now you know why. So, stop hesitating and buy one! Hell, for the price, buy two and introduce more perfectly rational people to the madness that is airsoft. :D

Pictures:

AfghanProtec007.jpg

AfghanProtec010.jpg

AfghanProtec009.jpg

Edited by ardrummer292

Sorry DL, that's what I recall reading in DefRev. I found it difficult to believe, too. If anyone could provide more concrete information (even Noveske's site doesn't have jack :( ), I would really appreciate it.

edited fur speelingz

Edited by ardrummer292

I know that 5.56NATO tends to get better range with longer barrels - but M16a2s get only 550m worth of effective range. Approx 600yards.

Out of that length barrel on the Afghan, 700 yards (650m) is not happening. IIRC, Hexagonal rifling doesn't increase range, it increases accuracy and reduces manufacturing costs.

Do you find the Barska to be useful or not when skirmishing?

Very useful. 1.25x for both-eyes-open assault use, anything higher for spotting and recon. Love the thing to death, although an illuminated reticule would be awesome. ;)

We should probably nix the realsteel talk, as I'd hate for my first review to be locked. :(

Definitely, very nice review! If only their guns came stock looking like that =P

Btw, Darklite, Echo1's aren't all JG's- their shotguns are CAW's, the SAW's are A&K, the EBR is a Kart, and I think the MP5-PDW is a galaxy, but I'm not too sure about the last one. Regardless, they import a lot of other brands than JG (and judging by the different specs on the Echo1 shotties compared to the CAW's, they seem to be doing a little more than just importing existing hardware).