Arnies unstable on my PC with IE7

Hi,

Dunno what to tell you really.

I'd been using IE6 with no problems at all but recently the missus allowed an automatic update to install IE7 on one of my PCs so, to keep things standard, I also installed it on my other PC and my laptop.

Since then I've noticed Arnies website and forums to become pretty unstable on all 3 computers. :(

Basically, what happens is that every so often the page will refresh, the little green progress bar gradually fills up, the page loads and then just freezes. None of the IE controls work and the screen is totally frozen with an egg-timer icon showing.

If I have 2 or more copies of IE7 open the others remain functional.

This has been going on for a few days now but I had some xmas shopping to do online this morning and I deliberately opened half a dozen windows, including an Arnies one. All the other windows were utterly stable. Only the window showing Arnies ever snuffs it.

I should point out that I know IE7 supports tabbed browsing but I opened seperate copies of IE7 because this problem seems to freeze the entire program rather than just a single tab. So, if I have 4 or 5 tabs open in one IE7 window, they'll all freeze with Arnies.

Running multiple IE7 windows, only the one with Arnies in ever freezes.

Dunno if there's anything I can do to help but let me know if there is.

Gah, IE7, its not particularly stable, suggest you try firefox as an alternative:

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/firefox/

I use it as my main browser and dont get any problems on Arnies

I disagree. Currently I'm running Win XP with IE7 and I never suffer any other problems when using the computer.

Besides, swapping to Firefox doesn't really address the issue of what is making Arnies unstable in IE7. You can't really expect everybody who visits the site to install Firefox first, can you? :rolleyes:

I still put it down to its stability of the browser, its possible it is a plugin error, all the PCs here where I work used to crash on the bbc website, turned out to be the realplayer plugin not working with IE7 properly even though the main page had to real media content! I only suggest firefox as I believe it to be a better browser and that it should work on arnies without freezing!:)

Hello,

Agree with Stealth, IE7 is a good product and Microsoft got there act into gear with this one and sorted out loads of problems. Having said that I still use Firefox cause I got ue to it and see no reason to change.

Going back to the problems you're having, first thing I would do is to reset IE7 to defaults, goto Tools, Internet options, advanced and click the reset button, this will pretty much wipe all your settings, cookies and saved password etc. so get ready for it.

If your still having problems, goto add remove programs and uninstall IE7, reboot, goto Windows updates site and reinstall.

Besides, swapping to Firefox doesn't really address the issue of what is making Arnies unstable in IE7. You can't really expect everybody who visits the site to install Firefox first, can you? :rolleyes:

The point is, Firefox is a much better browser than IE7 in every single way. There is no logical reason to use IE7 over Firefox, so regardless of whether all other sites work fine, you should still be using Firefox. ;)

The point is, Firefox is a much better browser than IE7 in every single way. There is no logical reason to use IE7 over Firefox, so regardless of whether all other sites work fine, you should still be using Firefox. ;)

Fair comment.

TBH, I've always used IE for net surfing simply out of familiarity. However, after installing IE7 and finding something on Arnies caused it to freeze every 20 minutes or so, I've swapped to Firefox and I've had no more problems.

Go me! :unsure:

However...

Somebody who finds themselves at Arnies after googling "airsoft" (as we all did, I imagine) probably won't stick around long if they find the page they're trying to read freezes every few minutes, are they?

Simply saying "shoulda used Firefox instead" doesn't really address that problem, does it? ;)

I HATE IE7!!!

I'm not one of these 'Linux/Firefox/Open Office roolz' nerds, I use MS products without any problem, but when IE7 installed itself originally I didn't like the interface so I dumped it.

A couple of months back I decided I should move with the times and put it on my home PC again. It crashed with C++ runtime errors repeatedly so I checked the forums, removed all the add-ins as they said, but it still crashed all the time. So, I uninstalled it, but obviously it does a half-hearted job because the formerly stable IE 6 now crashes more often than not...

Because of this, I've left my work PC (which REALLY needs a browser) on IE6.

At home, I've switched mostly to Firefox, even though I prefer the look and feel of IE6.

As for IE7 - BIG mistake Bill...

Cheers

Edited by snowman
I HATE IE7!!!

I'm not one of these 'Linux/Firefox/Open Office roolz' nerds, I use MS products without any problem, but when IE7 installed itself originally I didn't like the interface so I dumped it.

Indeed.

Must admit, that was the limit of my technical appraisal.

When I first installed IE7, a few months ago, I just decided that tabbed browsing bugs me and I missed the icons that were now hidden as the interface was dumbed-down.

However, the missus just saw a message telling her to install updates and she clicked "OK".

After seeing IE7 on the living-room PC I figured (as you did) that I should get with the programme and upgrade all my PCs.

S'funny cos I would never have had a word said against IE6. For me it was fine.

There are some things I don't like about Firefox. I particularly don't like the way it asks me what to do with downloads etc.

However, IE7 was enough to drive me to Firefox.