Sniper Guide By An AEG User.

balberoth-the-destroyer

I've also had training and I'm going to the Citadel and sniper school. I would like to add I never insulted you the closest I came to insulting you is asking a question. Now Meldamine may or have may not been over board calling you euro-trash I don't know you out of the forum so I don't know. But understand sniping is about inches and feet at a time every one knows that, everyone that even looks up information about snipers so wearing bdus for added movement kind of doesn't fit in with the sniper doctrine. If you didn't want me to tell you what I really think of your logic and your guide then you shouldn't have posted it because I'm not going to bs you I'm going to tell you what I honestly think. If you don't agree with what I think then that is tough. I believe that the only reason you would need added movement is if your spotted. It also seems that when you say I can still see you, that you think you will start off 5 feet from a sniper well if I fell asleep then yea but other than that past 20 feet and Bauer,bushman and I would be ghost. I also said to each is his own earlier in the thread but that wasn't good enough for you.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i played today without my ghillie on and felt totally naked, although i got waay more pistol kills than long rifle kills, i in turn was spotted far more often than normal, it was most frustrating.

I played in (very) snowy woodland today, so the ghillie was put to rest and picked the "suicide-camo" (also known as ACU :P). It was much more effective than we expected, even in the open. People, whole squads passed by a kneeling/standing, partially concealed figure @2-4m. Snow is one of those temperate zone enviroments where ACU is good.

Where I play ((A good friends farm)) we see plenty of snow. When that happens, I have a "Snow Ghillie/Yetisuit" ((The latter isn't what I call it, but is what my spotter/ninja likes to scream if I hit someone within shouting distance, which is rather silly of him, but if you knew him it would make sense considering)). Basically it's made out of tufts of this dead grass coloured fabric which is cut in thin strips, I don't remember what it's called but it stands up and does a rather good impression of dead grass in winter, even sounds like it when I move too fast and disguises my location if there's any wind at all; white, gore-texed fabric ((Gore-texed=Way water proofed, so that it doesn't turn grey and freeze etc.)) which stands in for snow and when I have snow get dumped on me by gravity/my spotter/ninja, fills up with the aforementioned snow, making me look like part of the landscape.

I'm also white enough to where my face blends in without much work, just that white carmex on my lips and I'm good :P !

No, actually I wear white framed goggles with grey/brownish lenses and a balaclava, along with a helmet.

That usually works really well, especially in spots where people had stepped before.

I played in (very) snowy woodland today, so the ghillie was put to rest and picked the "suicide-camo" (also known as ACU :P ). It was much more effective than we expected, even in the open. People, whole squads passed by a kneeling/standing, partially concealed figure @2-4m. Snow is one of those temperate zone enviroments where ACU is good.

Hmmmm, a place where ACU works?! Someone must be shot! That stuff was designed to make people stick out, to stay Friendly Fire Incidents! This is terrible, all of it must be recalled/replaced. Maybe Candy Pink and Neon Green stripes with puffballs and clownshoes would work better :rolleyes: ?

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmmm I kept track on this thread up until about page 5 and left it..... suppose I should have left it there.

There are a few points that are worth raising without getting into any sort of protracted discussion. Ghillie suits are personal preference to be honest I can't work out how people play in the big hairy wookie suits I overheat at the thought of wearing one. I couldnt play a mobile game in one and my suit is made of a light mesh to keep me well ventilated.

I think ghillie suits are more effective at the ranges used in airsoft especially with the addition of natural foliage. Ghillie suits give more depth to the camouflage in producing a more 3d effect whereas BDU's appear flat and bold and stand out more (that is my opinion from my experience). The breakdown of definitive lines acts in fooling the eye to give you that edge. The edge it give you doesn't have to be much to be effective, to avoid a passing glance is worth it in my eyes but that is specific to the game I play. To be fair I think what has spiraled this discussion is that the many great pictures that have been posted demostrate this very well and hats off to those that have offered evidence in the further of this discussion. Babelroth i think what has fueled those with less patience is the speed in which you have rubbished the evidence offered without in fact offering your own pictures that further your arguments. I do think the debate has been fruitfull to see others opinions.

My opinion is that ghillie suits are vital to the role of an effective hunter (in periods of dense foliage and summer). To do so means that the hunter using it must understand how to use it. Toying with camouflage and concealment is something we do often as a group. Experimentation with unsuspected colours can pay dividends and I supose the point I am making is that to use a ghillie suit you need to understand the basics and its purpose without falling into the trap of using one because its one of the things most associated with with "snipers" (along with the rifle but thats an entirely different debate). Saying "it is because I say it is because thats what everybody else is saying" is useless, as I have criticised (constructively) Babelroth for the lack of photos & I think others contributing have been just as (if not more) guilty of ranting rather than proving. Lets face it, games differ as well as sites and players and its nessesity will vary. I know in the games i participate in the already highly stacked odds would be far worse if I were to go out to game without one. In shorter more speedball based games i dont see that there are as vital however thay can still play their part.

One instance that has fueled those ranting as opposed to debating is the military argument. One that I have been embroiled in before as im sure many have and I think alot of the built up frustration of this has been taken out on Babelroth. I dont want to get into the argument of my own interests but it isnt in the military, I like the competition of sport, no different to playing pool or even in martial arts. What interests me is the the chess like approach of outwitting my opponent in a physical and mental duel. In a game of strategy its about experience in judging distance, skills of stalking and basic survival, marksmanship and other skills on a competitive level. To me airsoft is its own entity and although similar in the clothing and equipment it doesn't compare. Even on a shooting front the techniques of shooting are totally different. Although a good shot with an airsoft rifle I expect I would be laughed off a military range because the techniques dont compare, the ballistics are very different. Its a game I have played for years and my experience has developed an instinct in a hunting arena and to be honest rather than saying "I am bestest sniper" I would put it that I go out to hunt my prey with confidence. Its a frustration to hear people using the argument "I know better because I am military trained" for reasons discussed that doesn't necessarilly bear much relevence as a small part of the training plays a part in the airsoft world.

That said I do not question your military training for that reason because it isnt something I know that much about, sadly there are too many people I refer to as "barneys" cockily quoting military experience thinking that gives them some kind of an edge. Unfortunately I think Babelroth copped the brunt of this because to be honest the calibre of "military trained" players before him has been questionable. Shooting's shooting at the end of the day and once the game starts it becomes very clear who talks a good game and who plays one.

Happy hunting ;)

In my best game ever (fun factor) I actually stayed behind instead of ranging out. It was two teams maybe 45 players total woodland/urban setting. Teams had respawns on opposite sides of the "town" and tended to clash in the middle of town. i was halfway between my teams respawn and the main firefight and in a position to see our enemy crossing between two buildings. I layed down with ghillie suit on and proceeded to wrack up over 45 kills in an hour. I had teammates fighting from buildings in front of me and to my left and right, and all my fire was attributed to them, so none ever saw me or even looked for me. The guys on my team in the buildings would die and get replaced throughout that hour long firefight and even had one of my guys step on me followed with a "wow, that is good camo!" as he was heading to respawn. I was called up two times by teammates on the radio to take out guys they just could not reach (range wise) from there safe position and so promptly took them out and retreated to my original spot. It just goes to show that there are a ton of different roles we can perform, and it isn't always lone wolf no kills ######, but used properly you can wrack up massive kills, and be very useful to pinned downed teammates by staying in the rear.

Now I try to position myself concealed behind a bunker or strong point of my teammates and shoot past them or over them to get kills, the enemy always thinks it was the guys in the bunker or whatever and they never even look for you. And to the guy that said ghillies are no good up close, here is a pic of myself and my partner from 2 meters! I had maybe 45 seconds to get in this position before the pic was taken, tell me that they don't work again. Guns are pointed right at the camera FYI.

gsuite1.jpg

Though I can spot you in that pic ((I think)) I know that if I came upon you so concealed I wouldn't see you and would probably walk right past you. That is some effective camoflage! You may have wanted to have a bit less green in your ghillie in that position, or gotten lower ((Again if what I think is you is in fact you)).

The color doesn't matter at all as this pic shows, the suits are made entirely of od-green burlap (the stuff you pick up at the PX in rolls, exactly what army scouts are using to make their suits). Solid green burlap on woodland bdu's laying in 5 to 8 inch tall tan dead grass at 2 meters and you still have trouble spotting them, they work! There are two of us in this pick, I circled us but you will see by the pic that if you cant see us here you just got shot in a game.

gsuite20.jpg

Another at a different time of year, leafy underbrush is about 6 inches deep here, both of us are prone, facing camera. These shots are with no natural veg either, just lay down and snap a pic, the gsuit gets scary hard to see with local plant life attached.

gsuite2.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with the whole ghile thing entirely. Being an airsoft sniper involves alot of fire and maneuver tactics, and my eyes dont look for people, colors, etc. They look for abnormalties. A trained eye like this can spot people as if they were using infared. If your in a ghile and your spotted, your dead. If you know the pattern, its actually much easier to spot.

If you dont belive me, put up a pic of you in a ghile suit, then a pic of a section of woods with you hiding in it. If i dont spot you within a fraction of a second, I'll change sides on this.

Quite honestly, if you've had time to observe someone in their ghillie, that person really wasn't that well hidden in the first place, they also should have had a better grasp on their surroundings. The fact of the matter is, if a counter-sniper is in the "heat" of battle, if they have you in their sights, they'll most likely shoot you to eliminate the number of targets. Of course, the "heat" of battle has yet to be really defined. Do you mean that your position has been compromised, are you surrounded but have yet to be seen, are you both? If you mean "heat" by just the normal tension of a game, then you obviously don't know a good sniper. Snipers have to be calm and collected throughout the game...

Being mistaken for someone who's not a sniper is pretty hard, seeing as you're carrying a sniper rifle. Most rifles have distinct shapes and will stick out from the majority of the AEG rifles out there. And finally, ghillies will have an advantage over normal BDU's. BDU's will break up your body against the background, but that's about it. Ghillies break up your body, provide different shadows that normal foliage might have, and a plethora of other advantages listed throughout this thread. As you stated, someone with an average ghillie versus someone with perfectly matching BDU's will be screwed. But, someone experienced who takes time on their ghillie will be so much better of than even the best BDU. And someone with the average BDU will be screwed versus someone with an average ghillie.

But aside from the ghillie thing, I agree with most of your points wholeheartedly. Especially the camming of the rifles.

Just my two cents, nothing against you. This guide was obviously written with good intentions and I thank you for your opinion!

Archived