British Accent

tr1gg3r_h4ppy

There isnt a "British" accent as you say, the accent changes from area to area, much like in America.

Where i live i usually talk like a right proper essex lad (Innit! :P) mixed with abit of East London (born an lived there for 5 years).

But as others have said, dialects change with each area, Essex, Suffolk and all other area's have there own dialects, so i could speak to another essex lad or ladess an they'll understand what i mean, but if i spoke to someone outside of Essex, they probably wouldnt understand.

Others have said to watch films and TV shows from here, i say no to that, best thing to do is to speak to someone who is in England over MSN or Skype, on a microphone and you'll be able to pick up on that accent.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The actor that does Dr. House has a LOT of british accent! Just catch a interview of him and you will see.

The has to fake his american accent. :D

Don't forget about half of the cast of Band of Brothers are British too, particularly the main personality of Richard Winters (wouldn't let me write "D1ck!" :D ) being played by Damien Lewis. Oh and there's Eddie Izzard and his awful American accent in "The Riches".

My mate Stig couldn't put his location in. Every time he typed Scunthorpe, it came out as S*bleep*horpe :D

check it out on wikipedia its known as the scunthorpe problem and is actually a recognised it problem worldwide! one of the few ways home gets famous now! it used to be great at college doing projects about the town your sat in and the filters keep blocking it! got to love scunny

back on subject, how about a suffolk accent? ive lived here a while now and it still craps me up boi! though the variation across the county and in some degrees across a town is amazing! some one from the kesgrave end of ipswich would have a plainer more pc accent to someone from old martlesham but if you come from chantry you get almost an essex accent and thats in the space of one town! go for the nice country bumpkin suffolk one its bound to get a few laughs :)

juss copee this exactly an youll av a perfick essex accent (say it fast, too!)

i luv rightin in me accent, makes me look a right daft twonk.

This fred is allsum!

Darkchild

u *beep* wat u belend. :P

do liverpudlian its so foookin funny ay aya ayayayaayayaya foook offf ya C@NT!!! LOL

Aye it's fookin funny alreet.

Let me guess your actually going to try to put on the pompous Englishman accent which seems to be in every US TV show and film but hardly anyone really uses?

You know why? For some reason, Americans find people speaking in the "pompous Englishman accent" more credible. Weird, I know, but that what studies show.

No, mate, 'es slaggin' awff on ye.

I had a professor used to speak just like that. I listened to his lectures (not the substance, mind, but the voice) and was able to mimic it exactly after a month. Just pick up a book on tape read by a Brit and you'll start off nicely.

I would like to think I am fairly good as a man from the UK asked me if I was Welsh when impersonating a British Person in Public.

Unlucky.

What I would like to know, how can I make my accent sound more convincing and less forced. I need to be able to keep up the talking for two weeks. Currently after 20 minutes of accent my jaw begins to hurt quite a bit

Speak more english-like, less american-like.

Don't, whatever you do, try to copy the accent from Dundee:

"Eh Peh en en enyin eneh" comes out as "a pie and a (pickled) onion"

Or the bucolic Aberdeen type: "Fair ye fray" = "where are you from?"

As a native Dundonian, I resemble that remark ;)

In all seriousness, I've lived in Dundee for the whole of my 31 years, and sometimes I can't understand what the hell some of the natives are on about....

curse by using the particularly english word 'bol.locks'. (remove the .), slang term for testicles.

You really dont hear people across the pond using it.

Can be used in a multitude of situations with a number of different connotations.

You're lying = you're talking ###### or what a load of ######

Thats Great = Thats the Dogs ######

Oh Dear! = aah ######

I dont beleive you! = ######!!!!

As for the British accent, its a bit of an urban myth, there are such wide ranging dialects across the UK, it would be like shrinking down the whole of the USA to the size of the UK and keeping the state dialects.

Try and find a copy of an 80's/90's British TV series called 'Auf Wiedersehn Pet' and you'll understand what I mean.

i think that people in the north (iv'e lived in sussex my whole life so anything past london is north to me LOL) have a wider range of accents than in the south east, from london to brighton( think of it as a line connecting the 2 cities) dialect sounds the same, more of a "standard" english accent (if there is such a thing)

no offense america, but it really annoys me when you think that all londoners talk like- "alwyte guv'nu, howz the misses"

and every englishman talks in cockney rhyming slang, i occasionally say the odd rhyme e.g. jack jones - alone

loaf- head

but thats pretty much it

when my dad was a kid, he lived in london for quite a bit (back then they talked in slang alot more than what they do now, it was more of a big thing 100 or so years ago)

also - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Briti...e_United_States

this might help ;)

Ahaha right on, well I had the yank conception that all of you guys spoke with roughly the same accent.

And as for the intelligence of Americans, most people here are dumb as a box of rocks. Dumb and stubborn, wonderful combination eh?

Keep em coming Gents.

i can see where you yanks are coming from though, england is pretty much the same size as one of your states :)

off topic a bit, but do people in the same state have the same accent? i mean, would someone in the north of colorado have the same accent as someone in the south of colorado?

i cant see how we sound anthing like the ozzies though?

Archived