DyTac's VLTOR MUR (Modular upper receiver) Review

Dynamic Tactical VLTOR MUR Upper Receiver Review

DyTaclogo6.jpg

Now I must start of by saying that I have been eagerly anticipating the release of the Dynamic Tactical VLTOR MUR (Modular upper receiver). Being the owner of a VLTOR M4 CASV I felt that without the unique design of the upper receiver left the weapon rather lacking.

So when DyTac announced that they would be making the VLTOR MUR, I was to say the least, overjoyed.

But before we take a look at DyTac’s latest release here is some more information on the real steel VLTOR MUR:

topbannerleftsb5.jpg

The MUR was developed to give the customer a MilSpec correct upper receiver with a thicker wall making the MUR upper receiver a more rigid platform. A more rigid upper receiver will increase accuracy and reliability while extending the life of interfacing components such as the bolt carrier group and barrel assembly.

The main benefit of the MUR is it’s dimensionally correct. Unfortunately, with the current war effort, a number of AR suppliers are rushing through production, bypassing critical dimensions which will either make or break the reliability and accuracy of the weapon. With the existence of the MUR, you’ll receive the best and highest quality upper receiver available on the market today.

The MUR comes in two models: one with a Bolt-Assist/Shell-Deflector and the second with a Shell-Deflector only. Being a modular design, Vltor offers the service of exchanging the Bolt-Assist assembly for a Shell-Deflector only assembly and vise-versa.

The MUR Upper Receiver

The DyTac MUR upper receiver comes in a rather plain box, anyone that reads my reviews will know that I prefer cheap packaging over that of the more fancy recourse wasting packing. Because as we all know, it’s what’s inside that counts!

boxandproductmediumkf4.jpg

The first thing you notice on removing the MUR from the box is the quality and attention to detail. Anyone familiar with VLTOR products will know straight away that this is a perfect replica.

The upper receiver is CNC machined from one piece of aluminum and hard coat anodized, not only to protect the metal but to also give it some extra strength.

Now the only way to actually describe how good this product is, I’m going to have to compare it to the real thing.

Real VLTOR MUR

mur1615375.jpg

DyTac MUR

rightsideanglemediumcn6.jpg

Real VLTOR MUR

mur_left615x351.jpg

DyTac MUR

leftsideanglemediumtg3.jpg

Real VLTOR MUR

tn-both_UID615x461.jpg

DyTac MUR

scanboxmediumqn4.jpg

As you can see DyTac has perfectly replicated the VLTOR MUR down to the last detail including the laser etched pixel box, which does actually work and operators that own mobile phones that can read these will be able to find out just what it says!

The model that DyTac has released is the version that has the forward assist button with shell deflector. Now this is the only place where I could find a slight discrepancy in likeness to its real steel counterpart, and trust me it’s minor.

The fixing pin on the DyTac is actually placed lower than that of the real VLTOR MUR, this is due to the fact that the airsoft model does not have the room inside for the extra mounts and DyTac have had to adjust the placement to make it more secure and robust.

forwardassistmediumit7.jpg

But unless you are completely anal about things this really isn’t going to bother you.

One of the other cool little features that actually isn’t really needed once you have built the weapon is the hole cut in to the upper receiver to allow the gas tube to enter the upper. This is actually cut in the flower shape of the original and this attention to small details is one of the reasons why DyTac is a company to watch out for in the future.

gastubeportmediumzo5.jpg

Next is the ejection port dust cover, again a really small detail that you would normally over look and that’s the plate and latch that engages the upper receiver and keeps the dust cover to the ejection port closed, perfectly replicated to that of the real steel MUR.

latchmediumfs6.jpg

Installation

The installation of the MUR is a piece of cake and requires no modifications at all. It’s so easy that I’m not going to write a walk through on how to install it. All you need to do is remove your original upper receiver, switch over the fake bolt and cocking handle and the slide it on to the lower, done, no jiggling, no forcing, no nonsense!

fittedmediumap4.jpg

leftfittedmediumwi4.jpg

As you can see when compared to the VLTOR Lower receiver set that was released about a year ago there is some slight colour variation between the two, but it’s so slight that a closer inspection is required to notice.

completemediumjc9.jpg

Score and Conclusion

I would have to give the Dytac VLTOR MUR 9/10. The actual upper receiver is an excellent piece of engineering and is certainly one of the highest quality receivers I have seen on the market.

The trade marks and shape of the MUR is perfect to the real steel version, so why has it lost points?

One of the reasons is due to the new receiver sets hitting the market that feature a working bolt catch, which now looks to set to be the norm now for 3rd party receiver sets. The other is the finishing to the colour of the upper receiver. VLTOR uppers have a more matt satin finish while the DyTac is slightly glossy.

Pro’s

• Perfect replica of the VLTOR MUR upper receiver

• CNC Machined from one piece of Aluminum.

• VLTOR enthusiasts can now complete the look.

• Compatible with all Version 2 lower receiver sets.

• Perfect laser etched markings.

• Unique design.

Con’s

• Doesn’t have working bolt latch.

• Colour slightly off from the current VLTOR lower receiver on the market.

But at the end of the day this product is truly amazing, any VLTOR enthusiast will need to add this to their Christmas list and with rumors circulating that DyTac has its eye on producing a MUR lower receiver things can only get better!

I would like to thank the team at DyTac for sending us the MUR sample for review. For more information on the MUR and other products please visit the DyTac website here.

NEWS FLASH! !

Members of Arnie's Airsoft are able to take advantage of a special offer Exclusively for you!

Right now members of the forums are able to purchase the the DYTac MUR for US$165.00 + actual S&H from the US!

This is cheaper than anywhere else!

If anyone is interested please contact uscmCorps!

Eh?

Arent those working bolt catches mostly located in the lower receiver? Why would it be a con for this accessory when the upper has very little to do with anything other than the actual moving bolt?

Correct me if im wrong Fareast.

Thanks for the pictures and the review as always!

The bolt catch has to do with both the upper and lower. Or sometimes the upper and a little extra piece on the gearbox, but I don;t want to get into specifics.

At any rate, if they're doing a MUR lower, than maybe they'll also eventually do a upper and lower set that has a working bolt. But that's pure speculation.

At any rate, what exactly do I do with my cellphone to the pixel box? I want to see what it says. Will it work on the picture or do I have to have one in person?

Yes, but there are still some requirements that the upper receiver needs to be able except a working bolt setup.

One of the is a channel for the spring that pulls back the fake bolt. the other is a channel found in the roof of the upper receiver that guides the bolt along the body of the weapon.

Both of these things are not found on the DyTac upper. Although there is nothing to stop someone with machining skills to make them.

The bolt catch has to do with both the upper and lower. Or sometimes the upper and a little extra piece on the gearbox, but I don;t want to get into specifics.

At any rate, if they're doing a MUR lower, than maybe they'll also eventually do a upper and lower set that has a working bolt. But that's pure speculation.

At any rate, what exactly do I do with my cellphone to the pixel box? I want to see what it says. Will it work on the picture or do I have to have one in person?

The phone will actually need the feature that allows you to read these pixel boxes. Here in Japan it's the norm now for phones to have them as alot of advertising or magazines have them for you to download information....my local bus company has them on all bus stops so you can get the complete time tables.

Yes, but there are still some requirements that the upper receiver needs to be able except a working bolt setup.

One of the is a channel for the spring that pulls back the fake bolt. the other is a channel found in the roof of the upper receiver that guides the bolt along the body of the weapon.

Both of these things are not found on the DyTac upper. Although there is nothing to stop someone with machining skills to make them.

Adequate explanation, thanks. I figured since it was designed for a G&P gun they would have replicated the channels that the normal G&P receivers feature. Ah well!

New question:

Is the color variance from actual hue or age of the lower? Even just a year of exposure changes a receiver's RGB value appreciably.

The color difference between the MUR and the G&P lower is due to different finishing techniques. One is anodized the other is spray painted. It's generally hard to get anodizing perfectly matte black.

New question:

Is the color variance from actual hue or age of the lower? Even just a year of exposure changes a receiver's RGB value appreciably.

That could also add to it, the lower receiver is almost a year old and as the VLTOR is my main weapon along with my playing style of hard and fast the lower receiver could have faded due to cleaning.

NEWS FLASH! !

Members of Arnie's Airsoft are able to take advantage of a special offer Exclusively for you!

Right now members of the forums are able to purchase the the DYTac MUR for US$165.00 + actual S&H from the US!

This is cheaper than anywhere else!

If anyone is interested please contact uscmCorps!

My MUR was yesterday released by customs, hoping to get it in the next few days :D (and BTW, thanks uscmCorps!).

But I have some questions regarding the MUR and VLTOR body kit, since I noticed a small gap between upper and lower

(mine is no. 00443, probably the last from WGC) on mine when installed :huh:

@ FarEast: Did you notice the same on yours before installing the MUR and how is it now?

@ all MUR owners: What kind of delta ring (brand) did you use on your MUR?

Thanks!

Got mine a few minutes ago :) What a nice piece of machining but as mentioned by others before, a bit glossy compared to the VLTOR kit

and the usual G&P receivers. So far, all questions are now answered:

No gap, perfect fitting and delta ring thread size is compatible to TM and CA delta rings.

I´ve discovered so far only one minor downside:

The hole inside the receiver, which is used to take the screw for holding the charging handle spring wasn´t threaded,

so I have to do that myself. No big thing but maybe "tricky" for a less experienced buyer.

BTW: The upper comes with forward assist and bolt cover allready installed and both are made of steel,

changing the uppers only takes about 5 min, I really love it!

• 4 weeks later...

What is this USCM Corps? i would really like to get this MUR upper to complete my Noveske clone. I just ordered a real steel novekse, so i thought id make an airsoft replica. although it would have to be an older Noveske seeing as he now uses the Vltor VIS.

Thanks

Clay

What is this USCM Corps? i would really like to get this MUR upper to complete my Noveske clone. I just ordered a real steel novekse, so i thought id make an airsoft replica. although it would have to be an older Noveske seeing as he now uses the Vltor VIS.

Thanks

Clay

He is a member on these forums

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to raise a long-dead thread, but I PM'd the original poster and got no reply.

I am wondering if the threading on the MUR upper is the proprietary G&P threading (meaning it can only use G&P front ends without modifications), or the more common TM/King Arms/G&G/Madbull threading? I am asking because i would like to use the MUR upper on a G&P VLTOR lower, and attach a Madbull JP Rifles long front end. The Madbull front end doesn't fit on the normal G&P rcecievers due to this difference in threading.

And before someone mentions it, yes, I am aware that Madbull has released a re-threading tool for G&P receivers. That doesn't answer my question.