Firing modes and how they work?

tr1gg3r_h4ppy

Hey guys,

I have a decent understanding of the mechbox but I'm baffled as to how the gun changed firing mode.

Does the gun change firing modes electronically or mechanically.

I'm working on a little electrical piece for the guns currently secret, but I need to know how the gun actually cycles differently in full auto or in semi.

Thanks,

Brett

The cutoff lever hits a cam on the sector gear and the other end of the lever physically flips the plastic contact block of the trigger switch upward and cuts the electrical flow after one shot.

When you move the selector to full-auto it moves the cutoff lever so it doesn't touch the cam on the sector gear. Because the cutoff lever isn't touching the cam the gun keeps shooting.

S'funny, it's only a couple of years ago that I nearly got stoned to death on another forum for trying to tell them that the trigger switch flipped upwards after every semi auto shot.

Funny old world, innit? :rolleyes:

On V3 gearboxes (those that do have selector plates) work in the same way as any other gearbox for fire selection. What happens is that when the plate is moved to the semi-auto mode, the cut-off lever is made free to function for every shot and the whole business that stealthbomber told comes into play. Move the selector to auto and the cut-off lever is forced upwards, keeping it from engaging the plastic contact block.

That little nub is on the left side of the sector gear (gear engaging the piston).

edit:

V3 gearboxes work the same but also have an electronic cut-off for the safe setting. Moving the plate far enough disengages the entire circuit which becomes an additional safety to the trigger blockage.

I'm pretty sure almost all gearboxes work by disconnecting the leccy when you move the selector to safe, not just the V3.

Some of the Chinese clone gearboxes - AK for instance have the electrical blanking plate on the end of the selector strip removed and the twin contacts on the side of the switch block soldered together.

Archived