Puttees - how to put them on?

Bit of a retro question - Been assembling a WWII Kuomintang Nationalist Chinese setup and this includes puttees. Thing is, I've never had to wear any such thing - anyone have any advice or instructions for putting them on?

Ming.

Should work.

No problem man. You might be interested in this thread by Kamfer on the red alliance.

Thanks once again - looks very useful indeed.In particular, I'd been trying to figure out what waterbottle I needed!

Not trying to be funny but what exactly do they do? Offer more support?

Oddly enough, my girlfriend asked a similar question (first one was what puttees were), suggesting "an early form of legwarmers?":-) However, she has expressed a desire to try this airsofting thing and has mentioned she was quite a good shot when she was in the cadets!

Ming, So do you have a pik of the completed immpression?

BTW, what is the difference between Nationalist and Communist chinese in respect of the uniform?

Not yet but am eager to take it out next time I go airsofting. At least, thanks to Cyber Soldier's link, I know I am not the only one doing KMT. Judging from the photos and especially the unit patch (88th division) I suspect we may have the same eBay supplier!

Uniform-wise, there was, from what I've read, a huge amount of variation but the KMT at least had two broad patterns - a vaguely Germanic cotton tan summer uniform (stand-and-fall collar) and a greyish quilted Winter one with either a German type ski cap or coal scuttle helmet (ironically, despite being on the allied side, the KMT used Mauser rifles and broom handle Mauser pistols and their best units were German-trained). This started to change more to US styles eg peaked caps, helmets when the US started to back Chiang Kai-Shek in a big way.

The Communists, on the other hand, wore pretty much what you'd expect a guerilla army to be wearing - anything and everything, including KMT uniforms as quite a few troops and units defected.

• 2 months later...

Am I too late to join in the puttees question?

I'll talk about the britsh use as I am a WW1 reenactor.

Puttee is a Hindustani word meaning bandages. IIRC the British Army started to wear puttees during the Boer War and this carried on through to the late 1980's. (yes I know webbing anklets were worn during ww2 but short puttees were worn by kilted regiments and some other units).

The knee length puttees came as a pair due to having a slight curve to conform to each leg and were approx 9 feet long. There is quite an art to putting them on to avoid sagging and looking loose. More tension needs to be put on the bottom side of teh puttee as it is wound up the leg. Point of the puttee needs to finish inline with the outer trouser seam and the tape wound round and tucked in at the point of the puttee.

Infantry wound from anlke to knee and mounted soldiers wound from knee to ankle. Units also developed criss cross methods of winding. Look at old photos and you'll notice puttee fashion.

Main manufacturer was a firm called called Fox's who are still going today.

Hope this has been of use.

• 1 month later...

Archived