Both Elephant Type 89 Review

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ______and it's a Japanese gun so__________

Which, oddly, never seems to go like "I'm ________and it's a German/French/Belgian/British/<insert other foreign country> gun so ___________".

I wish the rest of the foregrip were metal, then I'd use those on my TM '89.

Honestly what I fear/worry for BE is that the TYPE89 isn't everyone's cup of tea. We have nationality issues(I'm ______and it's a Japanese gun so__________ ) and so on as well as the size of the gun not being right for most guys who aren't midgets.

Fixed.

Nice review, even though I feel a little less special now :(

Regardless of that, this might prove to establish a source for cheap spare magazines and parts. If they had fixed the battery placement, this gun might even have moved to my wish list as an organ donor.

And let us just hope the Chinese move the burst unit to their other AEGs

So does this gun have the 3 burst feature?

Ermmm... If you read the review, you would have found out that the answer is very yes.

I think I might actually get one! I'm an AK die-hard, but I would like to get a "good guy gun" so I would look right with the rest of my team. I was looking at an M16 because I like long-barreled guns, but the looks were just too plain to me. I love the look of this gun, and the three-round burst will be cool. The full metal thing is also nice plus. I was impressed by the feel of my friend's Dboys M4, but I'm pretty sure I'll get this instead. Would you say the metal quality is on par with Dboys?

On a side note, it's nice to see a company like BE start making good guns!

Edited by Bareknuckle
Which, oddly, never seems to go like "I'm ________and it's a German/French/Belgian/British/<insert other foreign country> gun so ___________".

But the Type 89 is a bit of a special case here. Other kinds of guns are used all over the world, legally or illegally.

Airsoft is about realism, right? Wearing Bundeswehr uniform and weilding an AK is conceivable, could be a captured weapon, right?

But a Type 89? How could that have happened? That gun is seen in Japan only. For realism/milsim players not using Japanese loadout, the Type 89 is about as realistic as a raygun.

Of course, for all the players that aren't too cencerned with authentic, complete loadouts, the Type 89 is a perfectly good choice.

Great review :) Just one question: You´re sure you compared the right bevel gear? The picture shows a standard TM bevel gear aside the BE Type 89 one. The TM 89 uses the new bevel gear using the same teeth for ARL and spur gear. And compared to the TM Type89 performance the BE looks kind of un-precise...but nice one for this price.

That's saying "I don't have Japanese gear, so I won't buy a Japanese rifle", which doesn't have anything to do with nationality, unlike "I'm not Japanese, so I won't buy a Japanese rifle".

Ahh okay, hmm. Still not sure where you're going with this.

So are you saying people discriminate against Japanese models in particular? Not because the Japanese guns don't fit their loadout, but because they just don't want to be seen carrying that junk? Or something? :huh:

So are you saying people discriminate against Japanese models in particular? Not because the Japanese guns don't fit their loadout, but because they just don't want to be seen carrying that junk?

If we're using Darklite as an example, the answer would be yes.

Do you see any problems with the bipod? I haven't had many good experiences with the spring-loaded clamp bipods, but does it feel sturdy and on the gun solidly?

I read the whole review and didn't see where you said much about it, other than how it works and that it's there... so yeah. Figured it's worth asking. Wouldn't be much worse than diving to the ground to fire and having your bipod get crushed.

Honestly what I fear/worry for BE is that the TYPE89 isn't everyone's cup of tea. We have nationality issues(I'm ______and it's a Japanese gun so__________ ) and so on as well as the size of the gun not being right for most guys who aren't midgets.

:unsure:

Edited by sekiryu

oldqt3.jpg

The guy on the right is Japanese, i'm 6 foot 3 and he is pretty average for a Japanese guy. So i guess your stereotypical attitudes of the Japanese is rather off when it comes to stature.

The reason this gun might not be popular is for one reason only. It is only used by the JSDF. Thats it and not many people replicate that look. So unless you are going for JSDF look then this will only appeal to collectors or members wanting to modify the gear box for other weapons.

I'm half asian, born in Hong Kong and have lived here for most of my life. The average height for locals here is 5' 10" for men, 5' 7" for women.

The "Midget" thing kind of slipped out - it's a bit of an iside joke with my friends nad colleagues - since I am almost ALWAYS referred to as a "giant" or something to that effect, I refer to people back as "midgets". Entirely in jest and I've never offended anyone with it - or been offended by the "OMG GIANT GWAILO/GAIJIN" label that I get from everyone - including my bosses and teachers.

I can see how it could be taken as rascist though. I apologize. Guess all these times I've been hitting my head on doors and low ceilings has knocked a screw loose. :)