Can't remove flash hider...it's just on too tight! HELP!

Victory

Ok, on my STAR M249...the flash hider is a bugga' to remove...I've got it off once before, but I am having *NO* luck this time.

Any tool I use won't get it off...making me sad. :mellow:

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

-Vic

P.S. Yes, yes, I removed the damn grub/set screw.

I've had that problem before. No matter how hard I twisted it, it wouldn't come off. Here's what I did.. you know how a Standard M4 Flash Hider has those bird cage slits. I put a flat head in one of the slits and twisted in the appropriate direction. Came off with little or no strength applied. I think M249 flash hiders have holes in them? Get an allen wrench that will fit in the little holes and twist.. see if that works.

You know what works? boiling the damn thing. The heat and water will make the locite or whatever to expand and get some towels, two wrenches and twist. It helps cooling it down and boiling it again and repeat. I had this problem with my scar as it had alot of locite on it. (it took two people to get the job done though)

did you get it off in the end? boiling water method should do the trick,or use a screwdriver wuth thick paper around it in order to protect the flash hider ;)

I did! But this was from my CA249. Perhaps STAR 249's are more evil when it comes to removing flash hiders? (Not to say that removing mine wasn't an absolute pain in the *albatross*)

I did! But this was from my CA249. Perhaps STAR 249's are more evil when it comes to removing flash hiders? (Not to say that removing mine wasn't an absolute pain in the *albatross*)

If your not getting it than you gotta apply more force, its unbelievable how much strength you need to put into it. You can almost call it a grip/strength workout/exercise!

I used a propane powered welding torch to get my super glued FH off. Lucky for me, the gun was a G3, so the steel barrel was removable. If the torch (should you use it) discolors the metal, just repaint, (that's what I did) though I doubt I needed to mention that to ya vic.

-Sh0ty

I used a propane powered welding torch to get my super glued FH off. Lucky for me, the gun was a G3, so the steel barrel was removable. If the torch (should you use it) discolors the metal, just repaint, (that's what I did) though I doubt I needed to mention that to ya vic.

-Sh0ty

Not sure about the STAR 249, but when I removed my flash hider I disassembled everything down to just the external barrel + fh. If you're able, Vic, remove the carry handle + mount, and the heat-shield. This definitely helped me get a good grip on just the barrel alone; however, I did need to wear a glove on the hand that was gripping the barrel.

Archived