KSC M9 New Version Full Metal

Wassup? Here I'll take a closer look at the KSC M9 new version, this one is the full metal one.

I'll refer to this thread for more information on the new M9, and what has changed from the old version.

post-1895-1199863873_thumb.jpg

The box, all crunched up in one corner. Disturbing!

post-1895-1199863939_thumb.jpg

Opening the box reveals the manual.

post-1895-1199864005_thumb.jpg

Moving the manual reveals the gunzer (plus two spare mags I also bought).

First Impressions

Picking up the gun, you immediately feel the sechz. Heavy, solid, and smooth. The outer barrel is plastic, but of the usual KSC quality, so it looks good with no visible seamlines or anything. The gun really looks and feels the business - so, it's KSC-business as usual, except this time we have teh metal.

If the hammer is cocked, it gets decocked when you engage the very crisp slide safety. In fact, all controls are very crisp. This gun is a true Fondler's Choice.

So How Does It Shoot?

Blasting away with the M9, I was greeted with a nice recoil. 'Hm not bad!' I thought, and loaded up the Hi-Capa for comparison. A few shots with that one brought me back to reality: few guns can match the sheer aggressiveness of the Hi-Capa's recoil, and the new KSC M9 is not one of them.

That said, the M9's recoil isn't bad. It reminds me of the HFC M190 I had.

Trigger pull is very smooth. There is a long, light travel before the trigger starts engaging the sear, and from there on it's a short, light pull before the sear breaks. Compared to the Hi-Capa's trigger, which starts to engage the sear almost immediately, and then a light but not very smooth pull until the sear breaks.

FPS?

At a warm room temperature, the M9 averages just around 333fps with .20g, with all three magazines.

Hi-Capa averages 309fps.

And... Accuracy?

This brings us to what is ultimately the out-of-the-box downfall of the KSC M9. Accuracy. :(

Potentially it's not that bad, really, I mean look at this:

post-1895-1199866714_thumb.jpg

Blasting away at a 9x9cm target, at 6 meters range, with 24 rounds in both the M9 and Hi-Capa respectively, both guns do a good job. Shooting method was a sort of middle ground between careful aiming and rapid firing.

But that was with the M9's hop-up carefully adjusted JUST SO.

You really have to nurse the M9's hop-up to find the sweet spot for a given weight of BB. Or else the shots are all over the place - a 9x9cm target at 6 meters range will not do, you'll need an A4 sheet.

Also take a look at this:

post-1895-1199867237_thumb.jpg

See all those little white bits around the loading ramp? They appear to be BB shavings. They COULD also be shavings from the loading nozzle, more specificly the BB-pushing rod under the actual gas nozzle, as it has a very tight fit between the metal feed lips on the magazine.

If they're BB shavings, that means the BBs get dented on the metal loading ramp before getting fired down the barrel - that can't be good for accuracy. But I'm not sure yet.

End Of Part 1

In the next part I'll examine:

- cold weather performance

- long range performance

- what can be done about the hop-up

The hop up fix is simple: dremel and a 6mm circular sanding bit. Get rid of the jagged constriction before the hop up rub. Works on the new KSC M9/SPP/Glocks. Then realign the barrel with packing it with cellotape towards the point of aim.

Since the new M9 is similar in blowback unit to the SIG I might get the SIG for a tutu...

Edited by 3vi1-D4n

Thanks for the tips! I was going to try installing a TM hop-up rubber - fit won't be perfect because of the thinner KSC inner barrel, but that's why teflon tape was invented (actually it most likely wasn't, but you know what I mean).

No worries. Just remember, what you are trying to get rid of is the ragged constriction of the inside bore of the hop rubber, before the hop up nub area. The goal is also not to enlarge the breech end of the hop rubber with the dremel as that seals the gas from the blowback chamber.

To bore it, take out the hop bearing and barrel and just sit the hop rubber inside the hop adjuster. Then bore from muzzle end of the hop rubber. When you drop a BB from the breech end it should fall straight through (where normally the hop rubber's constriction will prevent this from happening).

NOTE: DO NOT do this on old KSC hardkick systems with their floating valves. The constriction was designed to hold the BBs in place while the valve senses if the BB is in the breech or not. However this constriction makes KSC models inaccurate. Since now KSC is going towards the TK/TM's style blowback chambers/valves the constriction can be dremeled off.

Interesting.

But that's all academical now, because gun: broken.

post-1895-1199964992_thumb.jpg

It's that little floppy part on the underside of the barrel, broke while shooting. I'm trying to epoxy it, but we all know it isn't gonna hold.

Interesting.

But that's all academical now, because gun: broken.

post-1895-1199964992_thumb.jpg

It's that little floppy part on the underside of the barrel, broke while shooting. I'm trying to epoxy it, but we all know it isn't gonna hold.

Yeah, from what I just heard that is a fault, that is being corrected (at least on the KWA models). KWA is supposed to be honoring warranties on them, but I don't know about KSC. You could contact KWA USA and see if they will at least sell you one. That sucks.

Damn thats the barrel locking mechanism. Sold out too at uncompany.

But the gun will shoot without it, I just removed mine to test.

Really? I'll try it out. :)

Yeah, from what I just heard that is a fault, that is being corrected (at least on the KWA models). KWA is supposed to be honoring warranties on them, but I don't know about KSC. You could contact KWA USA and see if they will at least sell you one. That sucks.

Really? Yeah, I thought that part looked really flimsy to begin with, it broke right in that super-thin part. Thin die-cast pot metal in a sharp angle isn't the sturdiest thing in the world. Thanks, I'll try that, we'll see what they say. :)

Just a small update:

the broken part broke further. I've contacted KWA USA, and they sell the part for $7 + $9 shipping to Denmark, which is very fair.

For now I'll just try to use the gun without the part, and I'll try to trim the hop-up for better accuracy.

Would you prefer the M190 over this one? (I guess you had the full metal M190?)

Accuracy-wise? God yes. The M190 I had was far more accurate (nice fixed hop), though the KSC wins in raw FPS output. The KSC is also looks and feels much better. But in the end, I'm just tired of the same old KSC-###### of erratic accuracy and random parts breaking. If I could freely choose, it'd be the M190 all the way.

what is that part breaks again? it wouldn't be good for business

No kidding! :(

But as 3vil-D4n said, the gun works fine without the part. The only thing the part does, is pull the outer barrel back into a cosmetically pleasing position when the slide is locked back. Without the part, the outer barrel can freely move back and forth 1cm when the slide is locked back, that's all - so it's no big deal.

Accuracy-wise? God yes. The M190 I had was far more accurate (nice fixed hop), though the KSC wins in raw FPS output. The KSC is also looks and feels much better. But in the end, I'm just tired of the same old KSC-###### of erratic accuracy and random parts breaking. If I could freely choose, it'd be the M190 all the way.

No kidding! :(

But as 3vil-D4n said, the gun works fine without the part. The only thing the part does, is pull the outer barrel back into a cosmetically pleasing position when the slide is locked back. Without the part, the outer barrel can freely move back and forth 1cm when the slide is locked back, that's all - so it's no big deal.

Bad luck with the gun mate. That metal quality looks horrible though.

Owning an M190 i would rate it very highly for people who have asked on this thread.

Well, I think I'll wrap this review up for now, with this update:

So I took the time to test the M9 outside today, for some cold weather long range shootin' (who wants shootin?).

As I was kinda expecting, the gun did fairly well. Not that it was all that cold (~7C/45F), but still, less than ideal conditions for a GBB.

I used .30g Straights, which seemed to work best in the rather windy conditions. Center body mass-sized groupings were accomplished at 20 meters range, which is about what I expected: not great, but okay I guess.

The low-ish temperature had no apparent ill effect on the function or reliability of the gun, if anything the recoil was now stronger than that of the Hi-Capa's.

Conclusion:

Can I recommend this gun? No. There are many far less troublesome GBBs out there, get one of those.

That said, I find myself shooting the damn thing every day, because it's so much fun, while my other guns are gathering dust. Loading it up, working the action and the controls, it's music. It looks, feels, and sounds like serious business, not a toy.

With the hop-up carefully adjusted, using the right weight of BBs, and having removed the ridiculous broken barrel lock, I'm almost glad I bought the gun.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some paper sheets that want shootin. :)

I think that this gun shouldn't be put down so quickly, its really not all that bad.

I have owned

WA 92FS PV

WA 92FS INOX PV

KSC M9 Black HW

KSC M9 INOX

HFC M190 compensated version,

KJ M92FS compensated plastic version

KJ M92FS INOX FMV

KJ M9A1 CO2 version

and now I got an extended "borrow" of this new KSC M9 FMV.

In the feel department, the new KSC M9 FMV feels better than all of the models I have owned up there. The dense lower receiver makes up for it. Its feels and balances like a RS Beretta loaded. Next comes the WA M9s and then the new KJ M9 FMVs comes close, but feels a lot more toy like.

In the gas efficiency department the new KSC M9 is about the same as the HFC, which is just under 2 mags. The most efficient is the KJ M9A1 CO2, going on 3 mags without refill but CO2 leaks slowly over a few weeks in the mags so mags cannot be stored with gas like most green gas mags. Worst gas efficiency is the WA M92s, which won't fire off its magazine worth of BBs (26s or so).

Accuracy, best is the new KJ M9A1 with its CO2 mags and painted sights, then comes the HFC which requires a lot of tuning to get the pistol shooting straight with the fixed hop up, and then next is the WA M92/M9s.

Power, the new KSC M9 wins hands down, given its shortened barrel it is achieving the same FPS as a lengthened barrel HFC M190, then comes the KJ M9A1 CO2 and then the KJ M9s.

Kick, The KJ M9A1 is of course the best because of its CO2, but next up is definately the new KSC M9 closely with the WA M92 and M9s. The least kick is the HFC, could be because the pistol was so heavy and slide moved with bugger all impulse.

Parts, The most realistic M9s are the KSC M9s, where their parts resemble their real steel parents.

Detail, the WA has trades, but thats it really. The both the WA and KSC has a decocker but the KSC has a faux firing pin that looks more realistic than the WAs.

In terms of skirmishability, the KJ M9A1 CO2 is possibly the best M9 out there. If I was more a collector and a bit of fun around the house I would be getting the new KSC M9, it is the best looking/feeling M92/M9 out there.

Edited by 3vi1-D4n