TM AK47 and midcaps/lowcaps feeding issues.

Wege

Gidday.

I have a fun filled permanently modded SEG (semi automatic electric gun) AK47 (it is well over a decade old.) .. which has been chopped and changed a bit to resemble a AK104. I also hate the rattle of the hicap.

I have a couple of TM magazines that work sweet as with it (Hi and lowcap), yet the shapes do not gel with the rest of the setup.

I have a STAR Midcap which never fed... even with a bit of modding and lubing.. Just didn't feed reliably what so ever.

Now then. MAG and G&P? What midcaps/lowcaps have been found, generally, to feed reliably... even after a bit of work.

OR.. if the STAR has worked wonderfully.. what was done to get it so?

Thanks in advance.

Ka kite.

MAG mags are STAR, just a high cap. I don't know how old your STAR mag was, but they are know to be very good out of the box.

G&P I have HEARD are pretty bad. See if you can try a MAG or STAR mag before you buy, the newer the better. Or just order 1 mag and try it out, if it works then buy a box of 8.

Try this for starters...

AK Feeding issues

If you take too much material off the BB latch, you'll end up with a mag that won't hold BBs at all.

It's fixable if you overdo it though, you just have to take the mag apart and trim a little off the part that stops the latch's movement.

Just do a little at a time and try it in the gun.

I'd do the mag latch mod first if it's applicable.

I got some cheap metal AK midcaps (not sure of brand) and they feed fine on semi, but cannot keep up with my gun shooting full auto. I got some STAR midcaps, and they feed perfectly on semi and full auto.

These are the STAR mags that I have and like them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-AK47-Airsoft-AEG-...oQQcmdZViewItem

Full auto misfeeds (when the gun shoots fine in semi) could be down to ROF.

You may need a Tappet 'Delayer' for the sector gear (so called because it delays the closing of the nozzle [i.e holds it open slightly longer] by holding the tappet plate back for longer).

From dentrinityshop.com;

tngots040.jpg

Doc..

cheers.

I pointed out in my first post that my aeg is no longer capable of Full Automatic fire.. but can ONLY fire on Semi automatic- therefore.. no ROF issue at all. But thanks.. :)

The magazine didn't feed well on semi or auto.

And thanks too, however, as I am after the AK74 style magazines.. :)

And lastly.. hmm. I will investigate again that magazine with the mag mod link. Grr..

Anything else on the AK74 style mags?

I'd have to disagree with pretty much everyone in here...using a now 4-year old TM AK-47 shooting around 380 fps w/ .20s...I started using GP 150 rounders, and they are by far the best magazines I've ever used.

When I converted it to an AK-74, I switched over the GP mids for the 74's. These were more finnicky to wear in (lube, and get the springs worn in) but I've had ZERO problems...the gun has been through countless rounds, all fed by GP mid's. I had one old STAR mid (long ago) and it was absolute ######, but this was when STAR was really new, so it may be much better now.

I cant vouch for any other mags, never found a reason to use em.

I pointed out in my first post that my aeg is no longer capable of Full Automatic fire.. but can ONLY fire on Semi automatic- therefore.. no ROF issue at all. But thanks.. :)
You were too subtle with the description though :P

You can check if a feeding issue lies in the mag itself by holding a finger over the outlet and holding the BB latch open by hand.

Then let the BBs out one at a time with your finger (just hold the mag upright and on a tray).

If all the BBs feed out, then the mag is fine and the problem is that the latch isn't being pushed fully back when the mag's in the gun, which can usually be sorted by one (or both) of the methods mentioned earlier.

If they don't all feed out, then you can dismantle the mag(s) and clean the insides, and check for anything that might restrict the movement of the spring and/or the follower (the part that pushes the BBs), such as seam lines or 'flashing' (thin slivers of plastic at the edges of joins, from the moulding process).

You can also stretch the spring slightly in two or three places if it seems particularly weak, or put a spacer in at the end. You'll lose a bit of capacity with a spacer of course but If it's not feeding the last 10, 15, 20 BBs anyway, you're not losing out really.

Archived