UK Loadout Guide - DESERT

morpcat

Excellent guide Morpcat, glad you used the pic of me and the lads! :)

Darkchild

I take it you are in pic 4?

The modular assault vests are available here in DPM but not DDPM sadly, I'm guessing all the desert stuff goes strait to the military. Could you get away with this on a RMC loadout? I hear they use regular dpm jackets with desert trousers like the SF guys sometimes do.

Also you can get the regular vest for £45 here.

Quick question: How much does an Osprey weigh in kilos?

I plan on joining (trying to join anyway) the Marines in a few months after I do a bit of an intensive training regime at home over the next few months. I want to buy a bodyweight that replicates the weight of an Osprey+fully loaded vest+camelback, to use when running to get used to the weight and put me ahead of the game a bit as a recruit.

Would it also be worth running with a rucksack with a bergen type weight in it (Im assuming up to 55 kilos* there) on as well?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I plan on joining (trying to join anyway) the Marines in a few months after I do a bit of an intensive training regime at home over the next few months. I want to buy a bodyweight that replicates the weight of an Osprey+fully loaded vest+camelback, to use when running to get used to the weight and put me ahead of the game a bit as a recruit.

Would it also be worth running with a rucksack with a bergen type weight in it (Im assuming up to 55 kilos* there) on as well?

Probably a bad idea; if you don't know what your doing you will quickly break yourself (your knees and back) and be unable to join the them. RM fitness training is progressive, and they will gradually build you up to these weights. Additionally, if you are under or around 18, you will be closely monitored as your bone structure is still developing.

If you want to do some before you join, eat healthily and do some progressive fitness. I'd suggest for strength you do reps of the big three (press-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups). And straight endurance running for CV fitness (at most carrying 25kg with well-fitting boots).

I take it you are in pic 4?

The modular assault vests are available here in DPM but not DDPM sadly, I'm guessing all the desert stuff goes strait to the military. Could you get away with this on a RMC loadout? I hear they use regular dpm jackets with desert trousers like the SF guys sometimes do.

Also you can get the regular vest for £45 here.

Quick question: How much does an Osprey weigh in kilos?

Yeah im the bloke on the far right. Dont run with weight unless you have to. Run in trainers or walk long distances with heavy loads. Running with weight will wreck your back (8 years of running with a bergan has ruined mine for life so i should know). Only run with weight when you have to, ie On company PT and in training. I cant stress enough how running with weight is a bad idea.

Darkchild

Yeah im the bloke on the far right. Dont run with weight unless you have to. Run in trainers or walk long distances with heavy loads. Running with weight will wreck your back (8 years of running with a bergan has ruined mine for life so i should know). Only run with weight when you have to, ie On company PT and in training. I cant stress enough how running with weight is a bad idea.

Darkchild

Ok so no running with weight on, which saves me a few quid . . . and my spine :D

Actually didn't Gadge say that he left the army after completely screwing up his back?

Most of our guys are now wearing brit dessie for airsoft gaming . I'll try and get some pics posted up at some point although most of us have loadouts more suited to a UKSF look rather than the standard infantry look ,there are a few of our guys still with standard kit.

Although I have and use various bits of new and gucci load bearing kit the old favorite is still my tired old ops vest which has worn most of it's dpm off and looks more desert than anything now.

It still has excellent loud bearing capability and the muscle memory of using it for years means I instinctively know where everything is during a firefight.

It is for this reason that even my new issue modular dessie vest has been set up with the pouches almost identically to the old ops vest .

I did dislike the idea of molle modular kit for many years due to the way in which moving pouches around causes loss of muscle memory in troops but my guys have soon learnt to set it up and then leave it where it is

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My wip uk desert kitt.

DSC01578.jpg

Sorry for the crapy image. I will replace it whe i have a new one and all my gear has arvied.

Tactical tailor cap

Bowman

Under armor

Osprey body armor (need pockets)

Osprey subload with 2x medic pouch.

Black water gear gas mask dump.

Dcu pants (will go when my dpm pants arives).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived