fitness

rugrat

Being fit helps me win, thus it increases my enjoyment of the game. I dont think its important to the game though, one of the beauties of airsoft is that you can play at your own pace.

I think i suffer from fitness addiction, as some of the others on this forum. Last week i was medically downgraded for three months as the doctor thinks i may have a rare form of angina brought on by doing too much fitness. My echocardiogram is next week. How messed up is that!

The moral of the story is, just stay fat and useless, being super fit will kill you just as fast.

Darkchild

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes this is true rhino.

far to many people percive slower moving and overweight players as ###### when infact they are in my experiance some of the better ones.

they are more honest as to them it is still a game not something to be taken ever more sriously, better at using the cover which is avalible to them as they cant just leg it, less prone to tantrums as again its just a game to them not the meaning of life.

interstingly some troll starteda thread like this ona diving forum claiming that being super fit made him a better diver that he could decompress much faster used less gas and generaly acted like a tool. surfice to say most of the people on there were of the opoinion he was atool

Dude, I don't think fitness or play style has anything to do with honesty or player quality. It just increases the number of roles you can perform for a long period if you're fit. There are two, shall we say, generously built players on our team, both of them absolutely top-notch support gunners and riflemen. They're rarely in the thick of the action (at least, not usually for the whole game), though they certainly aren't averse to getting stuck in (pretty much everyone on the team has led a charge at some point or another, suicidal or otherwise). They know their tactical movement as well as anybody else, and are an invaluable asset to the team.

However, there are some jobs in the team that they just can't do as effectively as the lighter, faster-moving players on the team. Thy find it harder to infiltrate forwards in some assault scenarios, and sometimes find it harder to keep up on extended patrols or when a lot of respawning is being done (usually because we're attacking a well-defended position). Fighting up and down hills, they can get exhausted quickly if they take a lot of fire.

In terms of taking the game too seriously... We like our tactics, and our training, but at the end of the day you'll still find us sliding through doorways on our arses while dual-weilding MP5Ks and cackling like madmen (another thing being healthy helps with). I don't think there's any danger of me losing my sense of humour just because I'm fit. Any attempt to insinuate otherwise is actually quite insulting.

To be absolutely clear: Just because I'm healthy doesn't make me a better player. But a combination of being a good player and being quite fit does mean I can do more in the game than I would otherwise be able to, which means I have a wider variety of ways I can enjoy the game.

even a fat git like me can move quickly between cover and avoid enemy fire, but i find that the more i play the better i get and it has very little to do with fitness, just good old learning by experiance.

I do have to concede that very fit people would definatly have an easier time in a game but its no guarantee of victory.

I'm sorry but the OP doesn't state that 'being fitter makes you a better player'. The OP is asking if any of us have found that having a good level of personal fitness makes it more enjoyable. Now, for someone who has steadily raised my level of fitness over the last year or so, I can say I do enjoy the game alot more as I am not getting nackered all the time. There was nothing in the OP's statement saying being fit makes you a better player.

Captain Hat, I am in agreement with your statement:

I don't think there's any danger of me losing my sense of humour just because I'm fit. Any attempt to insinuate otherwise is actually quite insulting.

Being fitter means you have a tactical advantage... move faster, for longer... you may not win... heck, a fat disabled guy in a wheelchair and am249 could hold people off even if they were real soldiers....

being phyiscally fit means you have a good days game, and dont ache like hell after... its fun but not taxing...

i personally do Aerobics 3 times a week, and run every other.... im working on that perfect body, and perfect fittness level... Plenty of time to sit around and complain when im old...

R

i definatly agree that thefitter you are, the more you enjoy it, but i find that the more you play, the fitter you get,

Ah so one's fitness level is proportional to enjoyment? Some players may not be very fit yet enjoy the game, to suggest they would enjoy it more if fitter is nonsense how do we know? they might enjoy it more if they actually did less and just camped up in some random building.

As for getting fitter the more you play I guess that is down to your play style, if you dig out and put in alot of effort then yes you will most probably improve your fitness but then if you like to take your time and not rush well that's the individials prerogative and there is nothing wrong with that.

I do alot of running amongst other things but the only advantage I see from being able to run X amount of miles is that I can run into the thick of it quicker and then most likely run just as fast back to the safe zone when (not if!) i'm hit. Apart from that the fitness offers little to no advantage at all when crawling around and walking through buildings IMO but then everyone has a different take on things as with all debates :)

i think that it also depends on what game style you want to play, if you like being a sniper, you wont necesseraly need or want to be as fit than someone who is a screaming nut job running around the forest with a 249!

i do think that being fit is one less thing to worry about when you do skirmish, and you can focus on things other than how out of breath you are! LOL

I'm a bit of a fat sod, and so are most of the mates i play with. Cept Chaz who just has no meat on his bones at all. Surprised he can lift the ammount of kit he does. The only problem i get is joined with the fact i wear full face protection cos im a cissy and value my eyes. i end up really short of breath cos i cant breathe as freely throguth my mask. Dehydration is summin i suffer from aswell. alwyas take 2 bottles of water and a straw with me :P

I was not that fit when i started playing last year.... but after 3 to 4 games a months with 10 Kgs load running all day... now I am really fit... it even push me to do morning exercise every day now..100 push up..100 sit up... minimum...so no more pain..complain for my monday after game..

Part of my college course this week was to create a fitness plan for someone otherwise 'unfit' or who wishes to expand on their current fitness program. Cue J-man.. Unfit, lazy but an airsofter..

Reason for fitness plan:

'To achieve fitness levels of a standard enabling James to run about in the woods all day playing with toy guns'

:P

EDIT: Idiocy

Archived