TM AK74MN REVIEW + First Impressions

Thanks Warning!

Well currently there are plenty of videos on youtube at the moment so I figured I don't have to put a video up. Also *(I can't find extra recording discs for my Sony Video Camera...>_<) so I'm not sure when I'll get to post videos. Perhaps in my future review for the next Marui AEG I will use video reviews as well. Then again thanks for reading!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Exorcist 86!

The stock, grip, foregrip, and magazine has flat finish instead of the smooth polished finish. The magazine has a slight variation on the surface mold. The rest of the parts are just a flat finish so it feels slightly smooth and rough. There are no Nylon based plastics/polymer used on this gun. The gun does feel remarkably like the real one though. If you are into modeling, a quick spray of model-based paint can help make the plastic more rough.

Perhaps in about a month or two there might be parts available if the AK74MN gun is popular among the companies who makes the parts. Its still around a month on the market, but it's still too early to decide if the gun is popular or not in Japan. I have heard from my folks again that the gun is popular, however there are mixed reviews. The small battery (8.4 600mah) battery is only good for about 2 hi-caps worth unless you put a 1200 or higher mah battery. So this is one reason why its not as popular for gaming purpose -(unless everyone on field are using small battery weapons).

I am hoping for more parts and backup parts to show up later on since this AK74MN might need a little more maintenance.

lol Exorcist 86,

My job is only to write a review here. Not to convince people to buy this and that. Yet due to that I am very selective on good products, whatever I write on thoroughly means it has met my standards and I would recommend it as long as it fits what you/people are looking for. And to note, I don't give 89/100 as often for a new gun on the market.

Right now on Redwolf, that price is a very good steal. Thats even better than the discount I receive too you know? So for me, that price on Redwolf will make things a little easier on the gun since the original price is what set people off into not buying it.

Edited by Shinden

Shinden and I live in the same state and I went to his workplace, Poweredge, and saw this beast in person. I gotta tell you guys, external appearance was so, SO, much better in person than it is in the pics. It doesn't look like an airsoft gun, looks more like the real thing (and I've seen and shot the real thing). And for some reason, was much more intimidating than the CA SLR105 there too. It'd be an honor to own this, unfortunately its about 3 times anything my wallet can handle. :(

Edited by Revenge Seeker
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey, great review, but are they any updates on this? I've been wondering how that recoil mech works in more detail, as well as the timing with the recoil and the BB firing for a long time now.

I say, if its anything like the Systema Hard Recoil Kit, its just a metal piston with no rubber padding. The recoil looks very similar to a AEG with the SHR kit.

Got mine from Z1 today, this is one nice bit of kit. To be honest it was between this and the VFC AIMs (will just have to save for an AIMS as well). Glad i went for the 74MN love the blow back and recoil. Shame about the mags though, but ehobby are doing them at a reasonable price.

Cannot wait to skirmish this beast. The blowback sounds awesome NO sniping with this, they will no where you are soon as you fire :)

Hey DesertFoxRomel!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the review, however I do apologize I have not really gone to far details on the blowback unit. One is I still can't take it apart because I don't a specific driver for the job. Yet the mechanism is very well designed to fire a BB and fire up the blowback/recoil system. The gearbox is a modified ver.3, very much like the Type89 model and call it a ver.8. This gearbox is only known as the recoil gearbox 01. The mechnism works by a half cut gearbox on top, pulling a catch on the upper reciever's blowback unit. This blowback unit (it's metal weight) is pulled back and slams forward with the return spring and at the same time pulls the bolt cover. The timing with the recoil is just as fast within a few milliseconds. Unless the battery dies out, you'll notice the blowback and fire rate decrease together.

Blazed99 nice to hear you got one too! lol this thing isn't made for sneaking, it's an ambush gun so rev it on auto and hammer the trigger!

I got to play around with my buddies this weeked, he got it from Power Edge USA and using just the IB 8.4 1400's he upgraded it to 370 FPS himself.....

I was very impressed.... I've gotten just about every non clone model of an AK on the market ( Multi Marui AK47s, VFCs, 2 Guarder kits and a bran new Real Sword )

The gun shooting 370 out ranged my Star FNC shooting 411 all day long! I was actually pretty ticked off by it... and we both used the same guarder chrono...

I was ###### off about the battery at first... but he played all day long and didn't seem to have any problems with it. Also the grips.... Such a turn off... the slick platic was horrid in my opinion...

You wrote a great review of the gun! only thing I would say is a little off is the --

Performance 9/10 Great performance, yet not an accurate weapon thanks to the

recoil shaking the gun. It is accurate to the point where you

can hit the target, however not spot on the same spot. It is a

smooth reliable blowback gun. Not recommended for long range.

--

I thought the accuracy of the gun was amazing... I have almost all of my guns tuned for perfection.... ( tight bores and all crazy internals ) his was just a very basic upgrade probably only put a m110 in it and a little love... and it's on the same level as all of them. I was shocked that the recoil did not mess with it too much.

Edited by Merc Gummy
I got to play around with my buddies this weeked, he got it from Power Edge USA and using just the IB 8.4 1400's he upgraded it to 370 FPS himself.....

I was very impressed.... I've gotten just about every non clone model of an AK on the market ( Multi Marui AK47s, VFCs, 2 Guarder kits and a bran new Real Sword )

The gun shooting 370 out ranged my Star FNC shooting 411 all day long! I was actually pretty ticked off by it... and we both used the same guarder chrono...

I was ###### off about the battery at first... but he played all day long and didn't seem to have any problems with it. Also the grips.... Such a turn off... the slick platic was horrid in my opinion...

You wrote a great review of the gun! only thing I would say is a little off is the --

Performance 9/10 Great performance, yet not an accurate weapon thanks to the

recoil shaking the gun. It is accurate to the point where you

can hit the target, however not spot on the same spot. It is a

smooth reliable blowback gun. Not recommended for long range.

--

I thought the accuracy of the gun was amazing... I have almost all of my guns tuned for perfection.... ( tight bores and all crazy internals ) his was just a very basic upgrade probably only put a m110 in it and a little love... and it's on the same level as all of them. I was shocked that the recoil did not mess with it too much.

Hey Merc Gummy! I'm glad to hear you're local too. I apparently was working for them you know? That aside, I'm sure the accuracy is very great, however I tested with a stock model and I only give a 10/10 if the accuracy of the gun is all in the bulls eye. The gun isn't accuracte enough to hit the same spot the same time so I have given it a 9/10 as it is more fair. My tests are sorta based if all x amount of shots hit the same area on the paper target. lol, but anyways man if you have the money go get one man!

Oh and if you were turned off by the grips, 1) Buy a Clear FLAT Coat spray and spray the plastic parts and you'll have a nice flat colored surface. It also protects the surface too so its a good technique. I use this on some of my guns if my gun color isn't close to the real one. 2) Use a FINE sandpaper and gently sand and braze away the grip until you got the perfect dullness.

Thanks for reading man!

Edited by Shinden
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hey DesertFoxRomel!

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the review, however I do apologize I have not really gone to far details on the blowback unit. One is I still can't take it apart because I don't a specific driver for the job. Yet the mechanism is very well designed to fire a BB and fire up the blowback/recoil system. The gearbox is a modified ver.3, very much like the Type89 model and call it a ver.8. This gearbox is only known as the recoil gearbox 01. The mechnism works by a half cut gearbox on top, pulling a catch on the upper reciever's blowback unit. This blowback unit (it's metal weight) is pulled back and slams forward with the return spring and at the same time pulls the bolt cover. The timing with the recoil is just as fast within a few milliseconds. Unless the battery dies out, you'll notice the blowback and fire rate decrease together.

Blazed99 nice to hear you got one too! lol this thing isn't made for sneaking, it's an ambush gun so rev it on auto and hammer the trigger!

Thanks for the response. Let me guess, it uses a Y shaped screw?

http://www.factorydirectcellular.com/home/...al/toolkits.htm

Anyway, I was wondering if the BB fired before the recoil mech shakes the gun, and potentially ruin accuracy, even in semi.