Being able to search 3 letter words in the search feature

• 3 months later...

Rather than start a new topic I might as well resurect this one.

I know all the tricks associated with trying to get the search engine working, but can't a list of obvious exceptions be created, so that the search engine would accept them?

You do realise that would mean a lot of work for the people running any forum (seeing the option doesn't exist in IPB software, well I've never noticed it and I know IPB very well)

All it takes is for a user to click shift and 8 together twice at the end of their 3 letter search, Is that too much trouble ?

You do realise that would mean a lot of work for the people running any forum (seeing the option doesn't exist in IPB software, well I've never noticed it and I know IPB very well)

All it takes is for a user to click shift and 8 together twice at the end of their 3 letter search, Is that too much trouble ?

Problem is the * doesn't always return the correct results for various reasons. As for modifying the code that's not a biggie as there's just an IF statement blocking the search, for example (and in English):

X = 3

IF (length of search string is LESS THAN OR EQUAL to X) THEN
bounce user to "search string too short" error message
ELSE
action search
END of IF statement

X just needs changing to 2 or whatever, you get the gist :)

This thing with the stars is all well and good, but if I'm looking for threads concerning the Steyr AUG, and search for AUG** I get every thread with the word "august" in it, along with threads that I might be interested in. Which gives far, far too many matches, and makes the results useless.

This thing with the stars is all well and good, but if I'm looking for threads concerning the Steyr AUG, and search for AUG** I get every thread with the word "august" in it, along with threads that I might be interested in. Which gives far, far too many matches, and makes the results useless.

And you think that would get better or worse if 3 letter searches were allowed?

For example, if you typed "AUG" in the search box, it'd STILL return every instance of the word "August" anyway.

Basically, for every instance where a useful 3 letter search CAN be made ("MP5", "SL8" etc) then adding a "*" to the end of the search will allow it to happen.

Search for AUG should only return august if a wildcard is used. Otherwise it's a complete string, not part of a larger one.

Nope.

Pretty much every search engine in the world will find sequences of those letters regardless of if they're a complete word.

Try searching for "G3" in an airsoft shop, for example. Most of the results will be to do with the G36c.

I dunno if typing "<space>AUG<space>" would work.

That's not true with this search though. For the heck of it, tried to search for "Tana" to see if any threads with "Tanaka" would come up. Only got one result: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...455&hl=tana

Search for the full "Tanaka" and I don't get all of the results because they're limited to the first thousand (which is more than I'd look through).

However, searching for "Tana*" brings up pretty much the same results as "Tanaka."

Oddly enough though, when I previously tried searching for "AUG*" a few months ago, I only got results for "August" or "AUGs," not just "AUG."