Special Forces Civilian/PMC look? Pt.2

101matt1

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe because the sunlight reflecting off a lens is a dead giveaway or maybe because iron sights would allow to keep his head lower (thus reducing the risk of getting shot)?

Don't believe me? Ask Simo Hayha. AKA the most effective sniper in the history of warfare.

The real answer is that it isn't really a sniper rifle. It's a designated marksman rifle. And some marksmen are just better with irons than with optics and not every situation is best served by an optic. For instance, there is a vehicle nearby. Perhaps he was on convoy duty (where optics simply increase your likelihood of tangling your weapon on something). Or, given his dress and kit, being lightweight, he might have decided to save ounces to save pounds and eliminate the optic all together. Or maybe his optic was knocked out by an IED, but no replacement is forthcoming, and his arsenal is limited.

In any case, the weapon doesn't matter so much as the man operating it.

Maybe because the sunlight reflecting off a lens is a dead giveaway or maybe because iron sights would allow to keep his head lower (thus reducing the risk of getting shot)?

Don't believe me? Ask Simo Hayha. AKA the most effective sniper in the history of warfare.

The real answer is that it isn't really a sniper rifle. It's a designated marksman rifle. And some marksmen are just better with irons than with optics and not every situation is best served by an optic. For instance, there is a vehicle nearby. Perhaps he was on convoy duty (where optics simply increase your likelihood of tangling your weapon on something). Or, given his dress and kit, being lightweight, he might have decided to save ounces to save pounds and eliminate the optic all together. Or maybe his optic was knocked out by an IED, but no replacement is forthcoming, and his arsenal is limited.

In any case, the weapon doesn't matter so much as the man operating it.

Are you guys insane? You cannot effectively shoot long range without the ability to see long range. Airsoft simulates real life (or it's supposed to) and so thus you would want a scope.

Are you guys insane? You cannot effectively shoot long range without the ability to see long range. Airsoft simulates real life (or it's supposed to) and so thus you would want a scope.

So perhaps he's using it for close range shooting where magnifacation would slow his target acquisation (to ###### to spell that) down.

Then why would you pick a sniper rifle out of the armory, which is longer, more awkward, and harder to move around? It just doesn't make sense, he's using a completely wrong tool for the job

And yes I am taking this from the real-world perspective since we are supposed to be simulating that.

No and you're right, respectively.

However, your assumption that using a scope enables one to "see long range" is patently false. Do I really need to bring out the fact that your average infantryman was expected to be able to shoot out to 1,000 yards in the 1880s? With iron sights?

Now, granted, rifle scopes are a lot more ruggedly designed today than they were then, but the point still holds: You do not need a scope in order to fire a weapon precisely at long ranges. (Unless, of course, you don't know how... which is your problem, not his.) Buffalo Bill and the White Death both did it. So can anyone else who can put in the requisite practice necessary. Rifle scopes do nothing but: A-Simplify sight picture, and; B-Magnify the image that your eye receives.

Then why would you pick a sniper rifle out of the armory, which is longer, more awkward, and harder to move around? It just doesn't make sense, he's using a completely wrong tool for the job

And yes I am taking this from the real-world perspective since we are supposed to be simulating that.

From a real world perspective:

The longer sight radius increases inherent accuracy and a longer barrel increases muzzle velocity.

And I'm also sure that anyone who insists that a scope must be mounted on a weapon whose maximum effective range is 600 meters doesn't know what they're talking about.

Moving right along....

Oakley SI Assault boots

+PACA (black)

+RRV (CB)

+TAD Special Service Sweater (ME Brown)

+TAD Watch Cap (ME Green)

+Black & green shemagh

+Desert MCCUUs

+FNC

=Good arid PMC medicine?

Archived