Well P-362 Target Pistol

Well P-362 Airsoft Target Pistol

DSC_1607.jpg

There comes a time in everybodies airsofting career when they begin to get a little jaded. They start to feel that there’s nothing new under the sun. You’ve seen one AEG, you’ve seen ‘em all. You try to tell yourself this isn’t the case and that it really IS worth buying that new M4 ‘cos the stock is slightly different and they’ve redesigned the outer barrel and RIS for the umpteenth time.

At this point most airsofters tend to suffer something of a “mid life crisis”. Some become geardos, some dump all their expensive kit in preference for a cheap springer shotgun, some buy classics in order to find a new buzz.

Me, I did the cheap springer thing.

I’ve often been heard to tell people that my Warrior L96 is THE best airsoft gun I own. That’s not because it’s super-high quality or because it has god-like sniping accuracy.

It’s simply because it has a “feel” that takes me back to the reason I first started airsofting. Fun.

For very little money you get yourself a big lump of gun which, with a little love and attention, can become a worthy sniping tool.

That makes a refreshing change from buying an AEG and, at the same time, ordering another $200 of bits that you feel you’ll need to install before it becomes worthy of fielding.

So, we’re now a couple of hundred words (I’m not counting) into this and I still haven’t even mentioned the subject of the review; The Well P-362 Target Pistol.

I just wanted to give you an idea of what made me decide to buy this gun. Sure, it was a $40 knock-off of a $250 pistol but I don’t make a habit of buying stuff just because it’s cheap.

I decided to buy it because I thought it might give me some kind of experience in airsoft that I haven’t yet had.

That’s gotta be worth $40 (plus postage & packing) right?

When you look at the pistol on the internet it looks kinda big. You realise this on an intellectual level but, even so, when the box arrives it’s a bit of a shock to see the size of it. The box (for those who pay attention to these things) is actually longer than an MP7 box.

The package contains the pistol, an instruction booklet, a bag of 0.2g BBs, 2 5-shot magazines and 3 hex keys.

DSC_1604.jpg

After removing the pistol from the box the first thing I HAD to do was adjust the palm rest on the bottom of the grip. It’s fixed at the narrowest setting and I just couldn’t get my hand on the grip. I loosened the hex bolts and grasped the grip only to find that, even at the widest setting, the grip was only just comfortable for me. I normally wear large size gloves but I can wear mediums if I have to. If you have hands big enough that you could never fit them into medium gloves then you’re probably going to have to attack the palm rest with a dremel before using this pistol.

The angle and reach of the trigger can also be adjusted but they felt fine to me so I left the trigger alone.

I dutifully located the safety button and tried to apply it. It wouldn’t move.

Okay, the safety must only work when the gun’s cocked. So, next step is to cock the gun.

The large silver lever is obviously the cocking lever so I give it a tug and think “Blimey, that’s easy to cock!” and then it occurred to me that perhaps my gun had been shipped to me with the spring cocked?

I pulled the trigger. Nothing!

I looked at the cylinder and realised that there was no spring in there. Is this some new idea to get around the VCRA? Shipping the gun with no spring in?

The instructions revealed that you must operate the top lever to cock the trigger and load a BB BEFORE operating the cocking lever.

With that done I cocked the gun and realised, this gun is NOT a springer. It’s Pneumatic!

Let me say that again: This pistol is NOT a springer. It works by compressed air.

So what?

Well, that’s a big deal for those of you with ideas about using this to skirmish with, as a sniper pistol. A springer goes “Boinnggg!” when you fire it, even with a silencer fitted.

A pneumatic gun goes “Pop!” when you fire it and goes “…” when you fire it with a silencer fitted.

Okay, so with that first revelation out of the way I took the time to look a bit closer at the gun itself.

It’s Chinese and all that implies is apparent.

The gun works well but, on closer inspection, there are a variety of niggling flaws.

This is a pretty simple gun though and, as a result, the poor quality manufacture doesn’t really get much of a chance to show itself.

The grip is surprisingly light and sounds kinda hollow. I would have preferred it to be heavier. Still, it feels nice to hold and you can add weight (if required) easier than you could take it away.

Needless to say, this is NOT a gun for Lefties. Unless you’re prepared to make yourself a complete grip then forget it!

The receiver, itself, is made from 3 bits of material bolted together. There’s an upper and lower part made of well finished pot metal and they’re fixed into what looks like a GRP sleeve.

The pneumatic cylinder is made of nicely painted metal tubing crimped onto the receiver.

The outer barrel is metal and appears to have been machined rather than cast,

The muzzle is plastic and has an inset metal front sight blade. The instructions suggest this can be swapped for a different blade for different ranges but no alternative blade was provided.

The inner barrel is brass and, from what I can see, fits very well and is smoothly finished.

The two parts that really let down the way this gun looks are the chromed bits.

The top lever and cocking lever are large slabs of metal that seem to be hand finished and, as a result, they’re just very slightly wonky. They’re the correct shape overall but you can see that they’ve been filed to shape by hand and just aren’t as true as they could be. This doesn’t detract from the way they operate. It’s just that, close-up, these 2 levers look a bit like somebody has made them as part of a school metalwork project.

All in all, it looks pretty nice although ideally I’d have liked to see the gun finished with brightly coloured anodised parts. It looks a bit dull all in black with the 2 huge shiny levers. For $20 it looks terrific though. If it was $100 you’d be happy with it.

Time to give it a try.

Pull back the lever on the mag and latch it in place and you can feed 5 BBs into the mag. Release the lever and the BBs spring forward and are held in place by a hook on the edge of the mag, much like in an AEG mag.

Fit the mag to the right side of the pistol, clip it into place and the hook is released, allowing the BBs to feed into the side of the gun.

First you need to operate the top lever. This picks up a BB, feeds it into the breech and cocks the trigger as well.

Next you need to operate the main cocking lever. The forward stroke does nothing. The rearward stroke compresses air in the cylinder. Clip the cocking lever back into place and the pistol is ready to fire.

Before firing it’s worth taking a look at the safety button. You need to push it in from the left to safe the gun and this can really only be done with the non-shooting hand.

Equally, due to the shape of the grip, the pistol cannot be unsafed with the shooting hand either.

Basically, there’s a wide finger-groove for your trigger finger and it’s impossible to lift your finger out of the groove to operate the safety button.

The iron sights and all you’d expect of a target pistol; A front blade and a squared-U rear sight. The rear sight is adjuster for windage and elevation using two screws on the left side of the sight. This is a classy system and is built well with nicely solid click-stops.

The gun feels a bit unusual to hold if you’re used to combat pistols. It feels a bit like an old duelling pistol in fact.

It’s very comfortable though and the pistol seems to hold very steady at point of aim. The angle of the grip and the palm rest, basically, lock your wrist and that really helps with aiming.

The trigger is light and crisp and a short pull results in a quiet “Pop!” and a hole in the target right where I was aiming, 20ft away. Bullseye!

5 shots later and I scored 5 more bullseyes. I like this a LOT!

Okay, that’s the review over. It’s a very nice pistol and it’s worth $30-odd of anybodies money.

You want to know if you can skirmish with it though, right?

Well, the answer is yes. And no. Sort of.

Having only owned the gun for a few hours and with only the benefit of a bit of target shooting I can’t really claim to know for sure but there are a few things I’ve noticed.

It doesn’t have a hop-up.

At 30ft it aims right where you point it with no discernable drop but I have no idea how it’ll operate at 100ft. Long range shots might be a problem. More on that later.

I can’t see an easy way to fit optics to the pistol. The barrel just isn’t substantial

Two Questions: What FPS does it chuck out (chrono or a guess is fine), and can you pump the front level more than once to rack up the power? :D

I chrono'd mine and is fired at 96.7m/sec, 96.7m/sec, 96.7m/sec, 96.7m/sec... You get the idea.

Pumping it more than once doesn't achieve anything since all you're doing is compressing the air, decompressing it and then compressing it again.

Great review. I'm just curious, what is the cocking effort on the gun?

It's not too bad.

To compare with a similar pneumatic air pistol then I'd say that the lever requires about half the effort.

There's really very little effort required but you (hopefully) tend to take it easy cos you don't want to slam the lever back into place too hard after cocking the gun.

*EDIT*

FWIW, I dunno how but the end part of my review seems to have got chopped off when I edited it to include pictures.

More pictures will be added later and I'll paste in the last couple of paragraphs again.

Very odd. :unsure:

Wow, that's 8 times better than I thought it could be. Too bad it can only be "pumped" once, but I guess the consistency makes up for it.

Do you have any plans on taking it apart? I know it can't be that complex, but I'm still interested to see how everything works and looks.

Edited by Chris North

It's not too bad.

To compare with a similar pneumatic air pistol then I'd say that the lever requires about half the effort.

There's really very little effort required but you (hopefully) tend to take it easy cos you don't want to slam the lever back into place too hard after cocking the gun.

Thats great. Looking foward to buying one of these :D Always wanted a competition pistol, but lately didn't have the budget :[

anyway, I hate to be asking too many questions, but what is the cocking effort in pounds, and the length of stroke of the piston? *how far the piston has to travel to compress enough air to fire, and the distance the lever has to travel would be very helpful* The reason why I want to know will be explained in my thread, and I am still trying to figure out if I can design a mechanism to cock a single stroke pneumatic mechanism *please see post 17* :

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...=0#entry1660827

also, looking foward to more pictures, more details, and a possible dissasembly guide :D

The piston travels almost exactly 3".

The weight of pull to cock the gun is less than 3lbs on the cocking handle.

On the basis that I think you're trying to come up with some sort of linear compression thingamabob, I tried compressing the piston directly, by pushing it with a screwdriver wedged up against a set of bathroom scales and it registered round about 25lbs to compress the piston directly.

However, I have a sneaky suspiscion that, due to the point-loading on the scales, the true force required might be even more than that but I don't have any reliable way to measure it.

The piston travels almost exactly 3".

The weight of pull to cock the gun is less than 3lbs on the cocking handle.

On the basis that I think you're trying to come up with some sort of linear compression thingamabob, I tried compressing the piston directly, by pushing it with a screwdriver wedged up against a set of bathroom scales and it registered round about 25lbs to compress the piston directly.

However, I have a sneaky suspiscion that, due to the point-loading on the scales, the true force required might be even more than that but I don't have any reliable way to measure it.

thank you very much for the info :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Is it loud as im planning on using it here No wind and nothing to upset the path of the BB unless itswall or human shaped.

Be nice to have something really accurate and quiet if i only get 5 kills per game hiding in the dark just using this and My NV scope then that will make me very happy upsetting some geardo with a tricked out £400 CA CQBR :)

I had read that this thing was gonna be big but i really didnt appreciate Quite how big it is freakin huge! Love it to bits though first time i fired it i got The Biggest Grin for the money its great!

no adjustable hop but for the money this is Great!

Are people just using .2's or are you using something slightly heavier?

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh...forgot to update. I skirmished my P362 at Unreal Airsoft and got 4 kills in one game with it, about 10 in all over the day. SO much fun and you really feel you've accomplished something, especially when you are being fired at behind cover and are still popping off the opponents :D