1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though it never really had much appeal until it became an official US sidearm as the 1911 (and in 1926 the A1 model we all know and love).

Strange really that even after all those years it still does the job of giving a nice hard thwack on target. Even my airsoft model has made people stumble after i hit them (i blame the Green ;))

'FireKnife'

Yes as it is a Colt designed gun built in a Springfield factory, like opening a Jaguar to find the Ford logo on the engine kind of thing, made one place by one brand but the components are built somewhere else. During WW2 many guns where made in many factories, some had stamps and numbers to know which factory made what and others just added there own logo to the gun.

I bleieve that some Kimbers have other company markings on them but not 100% sure.

'FireKnife'

The Springfield markings on it were due to the U.S. government subcontracting to the original Springfield Armory to make more 1911s that the Colt factory simply couldn't manufacture at the rate they were needed for use in WWI. Then prior to WWII even more companies were contracted to make them and as FireKnife says, they put their own stamp on them. Springfield Armory was then closed in the late 60's and then in the mid 70's a new company was started up that used the Springfield Armory name which most people know as the Springfield Armory of today.

Edited by hitmanNo2

*fruitcage* *suitcase* computer with it's slow internet made me double post.

Well may as well use it,

With the new Springfield company they even have the breakaway Les Baer who was a Springfiled custom gunsmith but went alone i believe, along with Auto Ordnance who made the Thompson, they have a small series of 1911's too. Just a good design with lots of potential and giving that all to one company would be too much hassle.

'FireKnife'

Edited by FireKnife
Can't believe I forgot about that; my uncle has an M1 Carbine with "GM" stamped on the barrel :P

Man these things are addictive. I'm gonna have to get another one and customize it.

A 'GM' stamp is also found on the original 1911. As far as the 1911 is concerned this is the approval stamp of Major John M. Gilbert who was Army Inspector of Ordnance as seen on my picture below (I don't know what the stamp looks like on the M1)

SP_A0524.jpg

Edited by chris u'5

I asked it before in a technical thread, but nobody cba to answer me, so I'm asking it here again.

Would this fit my WA Kimber: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...ch_slide%20stop ?

I'm looking for a silver extended slide stop to finish off my Kimber, but can't find any for WAs... But this one here for a hicapa sure looks the same as my 1911 one...

I am guessing no, but I am definitely not 100% on that....

I'm almost 90 percent sure that a TM part won't work on a WA. Plus one part is for a 2011, the other for a regular 1911. The frame width won't be the same between the two more than likely...

I'm almost 90 percent sure that a TM part won't work on a WA. Plus one part is for a 2011, the other for a regular 1911. The frame width won't be the same between the two more than likely...

I'd assume you're correct that a TM part won't work in a WA. As I understand it though, Magna based WA slide stop and safety are interchangeable between the 1911 and 2011. I know nothing about the SCW series so it may be different for that, but I think I remember my 2011 parts fitting in my friend's 1911.

if you're looking to take that grip off, try taking off the other side first, and using an allen wrench to poke through the opening [left by vacant grip] against the screw from the inside.

Be warned however, it make take some kind of glue/re-threading/etc to make the screw stay when installing the new grips.